Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Ballasting a Sterling America for R/C

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Ballasting a Sterling America for R/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ballasting a Sterling America for R/C

Fellas,

I have this Sterling kit and I'm looking at it to build this winter. The plans show or say nothing about adding ballast so is there a rule of thumb regarding ballasting? Or should I just locate the water line and start filling it with lead shot? Or, lacking that, designing a removable external weight. [sm=confused.gif]

Mike
Old 11-03-2004, 01:43 PM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ballasting a Sterling America for R/C

Mike,
I'm not familiar with the Sterling kit, but ballasting is basically the same for any boat. Determine the waterline, then add enough weight so that the boat sits 'right'. Doesn't much matter if you use a keel or not (just makes a difference on where the weight is, but 'lower' is 'better').
- 'Doc
Old 11-18-2004, 11:34 AM
jhwhitesu52

[8D]Hi Mike. I have a Sterling model Kingfish B24 that has a lead keel supplied and just about every thing else supplied. I happened to see a Sterling America for sail the other day and was wondering if your kit came with everything else, (execpt ballast), sail material, hardware etc. Good luck with building. I'm looking forward to building my B24, but mostly sailing. Thanks
Old 11-19-2004, 07:28 PM
E.Waterman
My Feedback: (5)

is sterling still in buisiness, i'm just wondering. because the other day i was going through some of my father's stuff and found a sterling king fish kit . i think the date on it was '73.

thanx
Old 11-22-2004, 07:35 AM
jhwhitesu52

Sterling is no longer in business. The America kit I saw was on E-bay. The B24 Kingfish kit came from E-bay. Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I haven't re-opened the box but from what I can remember, it is complete with sail cloth (dacron), fittings and other stuff but no lead. I've read the plan notes thoroughly and can find nothing on ballasting. I'll probably use lead shot and pour it with epoxy resin. However, from experience, I can see that with such a shallow draft and lots of sail area, the boat will be very tender in anything over 5 knots of wind. So, maybe and extended keel is in order. I'll try ballasting the boat in the bathtub/pool prior to sailing.

ORIGINAL: jhwhitesu52

[8D]Hi Mike. I have a Sterling model Kingfish B24 that has a lead keel supplied and just about every thing else supplied. I happened to see a Sterling America for sail the other day and was wondering if your kit came with everything else, (execpt ballast), sail material, hardware etc. Good luck with building. I'm looking forward to building my B24, but mostly sailing. Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 10:00 AM
RobStagis

Well, it's sort of a 'fat' boat anyway. Build and waterproof the hull, chuck most of the gear into the right places, then start adding weight. You might be surprised hoe much it'll take. Remember that poured lead will be lower and denser than lead shot.

Alternatives, after ballasting (or maybe before) would be a lead 'shoe' along the outside of the keel, though that'll detract from maneuverability, or a detachable fin keel. Have fun