Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Whole slew of newbie questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Whole slew of newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
schroeder_jc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whole slew of newbie questions

Hi group-
This is my first post. I have sailed full-size sailboats for years and race them occasionally, but I am a complete neophyte to your version of the sport. I have always wanted a R/C sailboat, and was delighted to receive one this last Christmas. It is a Fortune 612 from Kyosho, the fully-assembled, ready-to-sail version. It has the Kyosho/Perfex KT transmitter and the KR-1N receiver.

I have a few questions:

What kind of radio range can I expect? There is absolutely no mention of this in the instructions. I'm a little afraid to put it on the water until I know this!

The instructions seem to say that the reverse switch should be used for the sail trim control. Is there an accepted convention for this? Stick forward=trimmed in / stick back=let out, or vice versa? Or is it personal choice?

Special concerns for saltwater? Thorough rinsing, I'm sure.

Is there an RC sailing interest group in the Pensacola, Florida area?

The battery cover slips off the transmitter very easily, kind of annoying. Common problem? Trick to fix? Tape, I reckon.

Just for my curiosity, what frequency range do these use? Modulation? Bandwidth per channel?

Thanks for any help!

-Jeff
Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
wismerhell

Default RE: Whole slew of newbie questions

Well, I had the Oracle....

A few things....aVOID high wind and choppy water!!! or be ready, as I call it, for the Titanic effect.

That said, range....well, dont worry too much about it...keep in mind that seeing what the boat does is better.

SAltwater!! I would avoid with that boat! if, anyway you go for it....lub all metal parts...put the rx in a plastic bag, and make sure its water tight, as for the servos....grease them!

Battery cover...use tape it should do it

hope it helps...good luck

Wis
Old 01-19-2005, 12:08 AM
LtDoc

Jeff,

1. Range? Do a range test. Turn on transmitter, turn on boat. Walk away from boat and see how far you can get and still control it. Should be standard practice for any new boat/radio combination. Knock off a few yards for 'luck' (bigger the safety margin, less luck you need).

2. Personal preference. Which feels more 'natural' to you?

3. Saltwater? Lots of fresh water rinsing! Then rinse one more time for 'luck'.

4. If there isn't an R/C group in/near Pensacola it would greatly suprize me, but I have no idea.

5. Cover slips off? Ductape is wonderful!

6. Radio stuff. Surface radios use either 27 Mhz or 75 Mhz. Am, FM, or PCM modulation. Bandwidth? Never seen the specs, but would assume narrower than the channel spacing (safe bet, huh?).

Have fun...
- 'Doc
Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Here are the 27 MHz and 75 MHz frequencies...

Spacing for 75 MHz is 20 kHz, spacing for 27 MHz is 50 kHz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27 MHz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
75 MHz Frequency

Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
RobStagis

My dad bought one of these as his first boat. That radio is a standard one - range shouldn't be an issue unless you're in a horrid/busy radio environment. Just remember that it's a small boat and there's no fun in sailing something you can't see (if it gets too far out). Also, if it's out there, you'll have trouble controlling it for the same reason.

Conventionally, sail sheeting is 'down' for 'sails in'. If you do it that way, you'll be able to play with boats without too much issue. 'Down' equates to 'in toward your body' if you hold the transmitter horizontally, like lotsa people do. So THATs 'stick in' = 'sails in'.

It's a quick boat! It likes a touch of breeze. In R/C sailing, we're affected a LOT by 'scale effect'. That is, the breeze at water level is lots slower than the breeze even 3 feet above the surface - and that's a wee little boat. In light airs, it might not even SEE a breeze.

If I remember correctly, the sheeting stick on that thing has a return-to-center spring. That's a pain in the tush, since the stick, and therefore the sail, always returns to a certain posiiton. If you pop the back off the transmitter, thereby probably voiding the warranty (you have been warned *grin*) you'll see the spring. Pop it off and try sailing without it. SAVE the spring!!!!!!! Just in case, y'know?

Heh - my dad's Fortune was sunk in a tangle with an EC12 (look them up at www.ec12.com). 3 pounds of boat doesn't come out favorably when tangling with 25 pounds of boat. We opened the hatches, set it in the sun with a fan for a coupla days and voila! No problems.....

Have fun!!!

Oh, yeah! There's absolutely NO substitute for fresh batteries. Dead batteries (Dad said later: I didn't trust the batteries in the box, so I went and bought new ones.....yeah. New batteries from the local dollar store...Shazam brand. I kid you not. DOA). They'll lats a few weeks even with regular sailing.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:21 PM
schroeder_jc

Thanks to all for all the info. I have a much better feel now about the range.

The instructions recommended removing the return spring from the sheeting stick, and I did so. And it still works!

Yes, salt water is all I've got to sail in unless I drive a long way.

There seems to be active RC flying groups around Pensacola, but I haven't found any RC sailors yet. But then I haven't asked at my local retailer where the boat was purchased yet, either. Are there better ways to find groups besides those listed on this site?

It's been looking very impressive sitting on the piano up to now, but I will try to put it on the water this weekend if weather cooperates.

Thanks again, group!
-Jeff
Old 01-21-2005, 03:26 AM
wismerhell

www.amya.org