Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

No More Excuses

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

No More Excuses

Old 05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Pecos45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No More Excuses

I just used up my last excuse today for not doing the "Maiden Voyage" with my completed Seawind. Took the boat over to Ludwig Yachts and plunked it in his test pool, jerked it around a bit and then went off to visit for an hour with Larry Ludwig himself about all his boats and projects. (I always feel like a kid in a candy store at Larry's shop.)

Anyway, after all was said and done and I went back to the pool to see if my Seawind was on top of the water or on the bottom of the pool, I got quite a suprise. Not only was the boat still afloat.......but it was TOTALLY DRY. I couldn't believe some little bit of water hadn't found its way in via the keel or rudder.

Of course this was more or less a "static test" and not going thru all the gyrations of sailing the high seas hither and yon...but I never expected these results. Boat was built totally stock without incorporating ANY of my bright ideas.

Larry handed me my boat and told me to go sail. And I think it's time to put up or shut up. The next thing all of you will have to endure will be pictures of the event and no doubt lengthy stories of what a great sailor I am and how wonderful my boat is. Yadda, yadda, yadda.[:'(]

This forum can be worse than looking at someone's baby pictures!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
andy1499

Default RE: No More Excuses

Pecos,
Sounds like you're on your way! Good luck on the maiden voyage. If you're using the stock hatch with no modifications, you will find that you'll want to make a change there. If you need any ideas on how to waterproof the hatch, just look in the SRC 'Articles' page.

When you sail, be sure to take some pictures and share them!

Andy

Old 05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Pecos45

Andy, a friend here with a Seawind has a stock hatch that he says doesn't leak and all he did was reinforce it. I have seen you good article on modifying the Seawind hatch and other SW drivers have sent me theirs as well. I thought I would try the EASY path very timidly just for educational purposes. I replaced the foam strip with some guaranteed to be 100% water tight and reinforced my stock hatch. But I can tell you right now I don't trust it nor intend to leave it alone. I'm going to sail my boat very cautiously a time or two and while I'm doing this, I'm going to build another hatch that I do trust. Thanks for all your help and encouragement along the way.

And hey, let me thank you and the rest of the SW crew for another super SW Express issue! I print them out in color and devour each word. Good stuff.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
wismerhell

having Larry so close makes me sooooooooo jealous!!!
and waterproof hatch, you got Andys and mine online...do it, sail her...enjoy
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Pecos45

Larry is doing some fancy things with masts right now and working on about 6 different class boats at once. About the only time the poor guy gets to sail is when he goes along to keep me from falling in the lake. And then he seldom gets to sail for people asking him where the motor is.

I just play deaf, dumb and blind [8D] and let him take the heat.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Larry Ludwig

Yeah... but the best part was the look on his face when he went back to look for his boat (sans mast/rig) it had drifted to the far side of the pool and was laying between the wife's floatie and the edge and the colors were quite similar... and for that brief instant... it could not be seen.... on the surface. I SAW him look at the bottom and then confidently saw that it was alive and well... hehehehe

For about 1 second though... there was some doubt....

[X(]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:51 AM
ICE929RR

WE WANT PICTURES !!!

WE WANT PICTURES !!!

WE WANT PICTURES !!!

WE WANT PICTURES !!!

LOLOLOLOL

Take care Pecos and have fun !!

Regards,

ICE
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
andy1499

Pecos,
Thanks for the nice words about SWE #3. Doing the newsletter--while sometimes difficult to fit into my schedule, is a labor of love. It's been great to see the class grow like it has, and I look forward to seeing it do more growing in the future.

I haven't been able to do much sailing myself lately--work has been keeping me busy. However, our club's second points race of the season is Saturday, so I'm chomping at the bit to get to the pond!

Andy
Old 05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Pecos45

Larry, that wasn't a look of terror.......just admiring the color of your wife's floaty. [X(]
Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Pecos45

Ice, I promise pictures soon.