Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

The Laser VS The A600 Dinghy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

The Laser VS The A600 Dinghy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:51 AM
oleislandboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Laser VS The A600 Dinghy

Hi all[8D] I'm A new Kid on the Block and I have a struggle in deciding what to buy; the Laser or the A600 out of the UK. I'm sure most of You know all about the Laser but have you seen or sailed the A600? If so I have some questions for you. Check it out here at [link=http://www.aquataurmodels.com]www.aquataurmodels.com[/link] and be sure to see the video clips.

What I like about the Laser is the simplicity and completeness of the package, whereas with the A600 have to build yourself or they would do it for you for a fee, then you still have to buy the Radio gear and such. However, it does seem like a challenge to sail especially if you're a Johnny-come-Lately like me. Anyway check out and let me know frankly whether its worth the value.

Many thanks for your help,

Tonyc
Old 06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
bart430

Default RE: The Laser VS The A600 Dinghy

I have not sailed either boat but if you want to race, then I would check and see if there are any clubs in your area and see what they are using.
I have read that the Laser is very good in strong winds, which may be a plus for your location. Also I have read that it is very water tight, something important if you plan on using the boat in saltwater. I also know that the laser is very popular here in the states.

As for the A600, I have not read or heard anything one way or the othter.

Good luck and be sure to post some pics ot whatever you get.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:27 PM
oleislandboy

Thanks Bart for your comments!

Did you go to the website and watch the video clips? As for the Laser, I know they a very popular in the US, Uk, NZ and AUS and there is a Club in another Island, Abaco with a fleet of 18, but none here in Nassau where I live. However, one of the Abaconian Culb members offered to sell me a 3 1/2 year old w/stand for $450.00. Is that a good price?

As for A600, they seem to be virtually unknown in these parts from what I gather from my research. My research continues into finding the recommended Radio, a Hitec Laser6 and the proper servos, a HS785HB drum and a Supertec S136L or its Hitec equivalent, should I go with the A600. I've bee in touch with Tower Hobbies and Hobby Horse so far, any other suggestions on where to look for great prices?

I should also menton that there is a Club of sorts here in Nassau and the last time I checked they seem to be sailing somewhat in an open Class of "one Designs" sort of arrangement, I will do some more research into this and get back to you.

But should I go with the A600, I would be the first "duckling" in the lake, if I make up my mind soon enough! They seem like a piece of work, but they are so cool! Any other opinions out there? Your thoughts and insight are welcomed as I want to get a "KEEL" wet SOON!

Thanks Again,

Tonyc[8D]
Old 06-26-2005, 12:48 PM
fortune

I have an RC Laser. I bought the standard kit off the rc laser website with the carrying bag. This boat has only been sailed in salt water in winds up to 20 knots. I highly recommend this boat because of its simple rigging and short set up time. The only problem I've had is that the power switch got wet and subsequently corroded, however it was an easy and inexpensive fix. There are several options that you can buy, however the only things that you may really need are the optional sails. The A rig is large and meant for light winds while the C rig is intended for winds 22 knots and above. The standard kit comes with the B rig and since I don't race (yet) it has been more than adequate. I took looked at both models from Aquataur but since I live on the bay and I only sail in the salt the practical choice was the Laser. There are several websites with alot of info on the Laser. Do your research and decide whats best for you.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:29 AM
john j m

Hi, the A 600 looks like a fantastic model, but I reckon that you would need greased lightning reactions to ever sail it! This extract from their promotional bumph just has to be understated………
It is easy to learn to sail in light airs, requires skill to sail well in stronger winds but above all is great fun. If you are looking for high speed entertainment, look no further !
un quote

Best advice that I could offer is that if you are a complete beginner is to start with a boat with a little more stability in fact a lot more stability and in view of this the Laser would be a better proposition.

By the way I was stationed in Nassau with the British armed forces way back in the sixties, we were based at a disused air field called “Oaks Field”it would be nice to know if its still there and what use it is put to these days? I remember we had a great go-kart track on the old main runway.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
John [8D]