Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

seawind?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

seawind?

Old 08-13-2005, 11:46 PM
t-maxx123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seawind?

hi, i was wonidering if the seawind is a good sailboat, i just got a kit for free from my friend, brand new, never opened, still in box. so i was wondering if this is a nice sailboat
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 AM
ICE929RR

Default RE: seawind?

Hi,

For me, it's one of the best rc sailboat kit

Go for it !!!!!!

Cheers

ICE
Old 08-14-2005, 05:56 AM
wismerhell

best entry RTR on the market IMHO
Old 08-14-2005, 09:15 PM
andy1499

I agree... I have two of them, our local club has 13 of them and they've been an outstanding entry-level boat. I have (and have had) other classes of boats, but hands down the SeaWind has the best quality kit of any boat I've encountered. It's one of the rare cases where you don't have to replace everything in the kit except the hull, keel and rudder--the stock parts are very good.

Check out the SeaWind Resource Center -- [link=http://www.seawindrc.com]www.seawindrc.com[/link]

Any standard servo will work for the rudder servo, but for the sail winch, you need something hi-torque. The 'standard' that most people use is a Futaba 3801 arm winch. It's reliable and plenty strong.

Andy
SeaWind #25, #28
CR-914 #1186

[link=http://www.acmsc.org]Air Capitol Model Sailing Club[/link]
Old 08-15-2005, 09:49 AM
t-maxx123

would 133 oz be enough for a sail winch?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
andy1499

I would think that might be a little on the low side (torque). THe smallest I've ever seen used with a SW is a Futaba 3802, (to make this servo fit the stock servo tray modifications must be made because it's made to fit a servo with a larger case) which with 6.0V power (recommended) you get 153 ounces--20 oz. more than what you're talking about. The person using the 3802 was one of our club members, and to my knowledge it worked ok. The 3801 has 194 oz. or torque and like I said is the servo preferred. Make sure if you DO choose the 3802, to make sure that whatever modifications you make are class legal (SeaWind Class Owners Association) if you want to enter any SW class regattas (which you may not). The 3801 servo requires no modifications--the servo tray is designed specifically for it. It usually runs about $55 + shipping or tax (if you're getting it locally).

The nice thing about sailboats is, yes the cost of servos might be higher because the torque required is higher, all you need other than that are batteries (a good 6.0V NiMH pack works great--I have a 3300mAh pack that allows me to sail for 3-4 hours). No fuel will ever be needed (just the wind)!

Andy