Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

best sailboat for a beginner

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

best sailboat for a beginner

Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 PM
jmjn4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best sailboat for a beginner

hello everyone, getting into rc sailing, looking for ideas on which is/are the best boats out there. so many to choose from i'm going crazy. read about the fortune 612, sounds good but appears i would need to upgrade the servo for the main sail, any ideas on which one to get or how to go about it. any help or any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
andy1499

Default RE: best sailboat for a beginner

moncaleano,

You're going to get many different opinions on this (including mine) but there are lots of things to consider when choosing your first boat. Primarily you need to get in mind how much your budget will allow. Generally speaking, the more money you spend the higher quality the kit that you get, with some exceptions.

Here are my recommendations (from my experience)...

Smaller, less expensive boats ($100-$300)

Thunder Tiger Victoria
This boat is modest in initial price--you can pick it up for around $100 without electronics. However, you will want to upgrade many of the stock parts if you plan to race in any regattas. This boat is the 2nd most popular boat numbers-wise in the AMYA (American Model Yachting Association) and has lots and lots of regattas and resources for upgrades. It's small and easily transported which is another plus....

Check out: [link=http://www.victoriarc.org]www.victoriarc.org[/link]

Megatech Nirvana
This is a RTR boat that a lot of people like. Based on what I've heard, you might be better off opting for the version that does NOT include servos (I think they call it the 'pro' version, and Tower Hobbies had a few left I think) because the stock servos that Megatech send out have had a history of problems. It's a little bigger than the Vic at 32" (the Vic is 30" ) , and has carbon fiber spars and a mylar sail which is a big plus. These boats are pretty cool and I would think would be great for a beginner. You don't even have to paint them! (they come already colored).

Victor 32
You can buy this boat already assembled or assemble them yourself. Though the materials are a little more crude (wood spars and deck instead of aluminum or carbon fiber) I've heard great things about these boats. Many clubs are going with these as an entry-level class and Victor Model Products is well-known in the industry for putting out great kits.

Check out: [link=http://www.victor-model.com]www.victor-model.com[/link]

Larger Boats ($300-$500)

Kyosho SeaWind
This is a One-Meter boat (39 3/8" ) and is a great kit that has high quality parts. It's extremely easy to build (though you do need to paint this one unless you want to leave it plain white) with a one piece hull (deck attached already) and either screw-on or snap-on parts. It's got a growing class association that currently has over 100 members in the US. A kit without electronics is about $289. I actually own two of these boats and it was my first RC sailboat. No modifications to the stock kit are needed for this boat to sail well. You truly get what you pay for.

Check out: [link=http://www.seawindrc.com]www.seawindrc.com[/link]

CR-914
Another great boat. This boat has a great class association (over 200 boats registered) in the US and is also high quality. Similar to the Seawind, when you buy the boat you get the support of the class and all it's members. It's a little smaller than the SW at 36" but performs very well, and no modifications are needed from the basic stock form to sail well--again, you get what you pay for. These boats are sold as kits w/electronics (for slightly less than $500) or if you're willing to pay extra you can opt for a finished boat.

Check out: [link=http://www.cr914class.org]www.cr914class.org[/link]
Check out: [link=http://www.rcyachts.com] www.rcyachts.com[/link]

Those are my recommendations, but there are surely others. Good luck in your choice!

Andy
SeaWind #25, #28
CR-914 #1186

Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I own 2 Northwind 36,they sail nicely and are reasonably priced.I am a beginner and never sailed anything else.The manual was lacking.It needs a 100 ounce torque or more servo for sails like most others.I do like them now,but they could use some beefing in the radio box compartment.there is a large build thread on this boat..
Old 09-07-2005, 02:14 AM
wismerhell

I second Andy's comment...

As for the Fortune...well mine lies deep in the lake!

As long, as you dont have chop or very light wind..it might go...but the Fortune is a toy!
The servos are crap, both, water tight isnt in Kyoshos vocabulary...even the Seawind, but that is easily fixable!
But it all depends on your budget...you might check you local fleet and ask around, if there is one...

Welcome aboard
Old 09-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Pecos45

Andy, I think you said about all that needs be said on the subject. I would only add that some beginners may think smaller boats are easier to sail and learn on, etc. This isn't true at all, in my opinion. And of course there are other good options, but Andy would be here half the day if he evaluated ALL the possibilities. Besides, it's fun to study and dream on your own.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
MalaysianFlyer

Just to throw my 2 cents in, the seawind would be a good choice, basedon the fact that over here, we recently started boating (we are all r/c flyers) and the seawind has become the most popular in just a few weeks. This was mainly due to the fact that it builds easily, and is also very easy for a beginer to handle.

Having said that, it is also important that you get a boat that is popular in your area, so that help is easily available from others who have experience on the boat. Don't worry though, as most of the choices are good ones, which will leave you little regret, and tons of fun
Old 09-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Larry Ludwig

Hi JM,

well... I was 10 miles East of you down 23 Mile road for a couple of years sailing on Lake StClaire. There are a couple of clubs in your area that are active and sailing several different class of boats. I highly recommend that you get in touch with them and consider getting a boat that is being actively sailed. This makes it SO much easier for someone getting started in many ways. They may have a used boat which you can pick up at a reasonable price, you will get much more support and information from guys that are already sailing the model and can tell you do this don't do that stuff which saves you a lot time and money, and you get a basketfull of new friends in the deal as well along with a nice place to sail. Can't beat that!

Look at the www.AMYA.org website and you will find plenty of info on classes of model boats, as well as clubs. These 3 are close to you with a couple more in the Michigan area... but I am sure you will find plenty of interest in your area. You landed in a good spot!

Welcome to a wonderful hobby... bring your friends!

Detroit
Detroit Model Yacht Club, (#88)
Ralph Templin, 810 791-6773
23431 Donalson
Clinton Twp, Mi 48035
Site: Joseph Dalia Park, Sterling Heights MI
Classes: Victoria, US One Meter, Marblehead, Vintage M, and America's Cup Class

Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor Model Yacht Club, (#138)
Russ Bergendahl, 248-486-9676
7841 Oak Knoll
Northville, MI 48168
Site: Airport Road (north of Ann Arbor Airport)
Classes: EC12, Fairwind, One Meter, Seawind, Victoria, open

Lansing Model Yacht Club
Philip Sarelis (517) 651-9756
304 W. First North Street
Laingsburg, MI 48848
Site: Sharp Park
Classes: One Meter, Seawind, Fairwind, Victoria
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
andy1499

I agree with Pecos AND Larry... Generally speaking, the larger the boat, the more it tends to handle like a 'real' sailboat (or full scale). However, what Larry says supercedes everything else... find out what your local group is sailing and get 'one of those'. You'll have more fun and the support that you need.

Andy
Old 09-25-2005, 12:09 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Sailed full scale of all sizes up to 40+ feet, one 66' schooner. When I moved inland had to replace the big boats with RC models. I joined the AMYA and noticed that the Victor Soling 1 meter is the most popular class and comes well recommended for beginning sailors. So far I've built two and some other boats as well including the Victoria and Fairwind and some others. My next RC sailing will be with another Soling 1 meter.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 AM
steelmouse

Anyone here try the Tamiya Round The World Sailboat
Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

I have airplane building experience and full size sailing under the belt so the EC-12 class worked perfectly. A real beauty!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Larry Ludwig

Good for you CMoore, the last EC-12 Nationals were just up the road from you this time a year ago in Columbus. Did you make it out for any of that event? The EC-12 is going to be a growing class in the upcoming year and will break all of it's own records which are considerable. Not the least of which is the most 2 day events for any class in the AMYA.

More good news is that the class is being spread around a great deal more with new clubs becoming active in mid America, down here in Texas and Oklahoma in particular... so look for increased activity and the chance to attend some great events without having to travel as far as you would in the past.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

I REALLY wanted to make it to nationals because I was at school 30 minutes from them but it was right in the middle of a very busy time of the school year and I just couldnt take the time off to go...so close, but yet so far =(

Chris

Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 PM
dudley_d

I looked for a long time too,[sm=confused.gif] and based on my budget for getting into the hobby, I bought a Nirvana II. Painted it with custom paint job.
[link=http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gC9YQ6zoAd42atpWzxkBVUhEzauLHaCFLL7K4eyKtDUJTojnnU 9yN8l5BCosvP-AgARNGZUhdmm6eRpLi6N1q6OjwtkO8RxzaIq9bw/windylady.jpg]Windy Lady[/link]
I have sailed it twice since, both in terrible conditions and had a great time. I doubt that I will be competing with this boat but it got me into RC and I find it is cool. I will probably up-grade and contact others here in the Toledo Ohio area. All in all a good intro boat for me.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77799.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	341728  
Old 10-23-2005, 07:29 AM
soundken

always what andy pecos and wis say, never argue with andy pecos and wis, just kidding

hey guys sailing season is back in my neck of the woods sorry bout the absense
Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Vince Hoffmann

I purchased a Nirvana II the other day and sailed it for the first time this morning. The breeze was between 2 and 4kt and the boat handled beautifully!

I found two problems right away... the main and jib sheet servo is too weak, and there needs to be about a 1/2 oz weight at the front of the jib club. Without the wieght, the jib tends to tack on its own with just the movement of the boat over the waves.

I think I can overcome the weak sheet servo by re-rigging the main sheet so it doesn't have so many blocks to run through. There seems to be a lot of friction in the kit's deck fittings.

I'll be keeping this boat, I see a lot of potential in it.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:44 PM
fortune

I agree with others who have stated that the Fortune is not the best boat for a beginner. Like others mine took on alot of water despite my best efforts to waterproof it. The sail servo is insufficient and anything over a 6 knot breeze will overwhelm it. After my disspointment with the Fortune and a move that put me right on the bay in Long Beach, Ca, I went with an RC Laser. Best decision I ever made. This thing is durable, watertight,fast and FUN. It has only been used in saltwater and apart from a slightly corroded on/off switch (since replaced)it looks and performs as well as it did the day it came out of the box. It is easily disassembled and transported and you can buy different sails to suit your typical conditions. I have the standard B rig and have had it out in 20+ knot winds having a blast. The Laser is an AMYA designated class which is something else to consider.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:10 PM
andy1499

I've already given you my honest opinion, but one thing to consider when buying a boat is, often (not always, but often) you get what you pay for. I recently purchased a Kyosho Sea Dolphin, and it ($100) the quality of the boat and it's materials is far below that of my Seawinds and my CR-914. However, I paid quite a bit more for those boats too. Also something to consider is how much you plan to sail, and how you plan to sail. If you want to race (or hope to) then your choice is going to be considerably different from someone who might sail on occasion just for fun.

BTW... the RC Laser is a nice boat. I've never sailed one, but have had friends who do and they love them. I am impressed with their durability and their rig changing ability. This boat is a $400+ boat, so again I say--you get what you pay for.

Andy