Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Radio question

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Radio question

Old 02-12-2006, 09:12 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio question

I have a Futaba Attack 2 channel radio model 2DR-AM. My question is, do people remove the springs from the controllers so they don't move back to the nutral positions when you let go of them. Seems to me it would be better to leave where you set them until they need to be moved again. If so, how is it done. As useual.... thanking all for any advise.
Dick
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Radio question

Dick,
If you would say remove the spring and install a 'ratchet', I'd agree with you, it would come in handy for sailing (the sail anyway). How you go about that depends on the particular radio you have, and since I'm not familiar with yours, I can't say.
- 'Doc
Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 AM
pompebled

Hi Dick,

On my Attack I have the left stick as throttle (or sail in / out) with a ratched, these can be purchased separately or made yourself.
Open the transmitter and remove the spring and leaver (keep for future use) and install the ratched with a small screw, very simple.

If confused, ask for a picture...

Regards, Jan.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Sunny_B

What if you prefer an FM 4-channel Radio? Any suggestions? I have found with aircraft you end up with several radios trying to save a few bucks along the experience curve. I use Futaba radios now, but any quality radio will be considered.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
LtDoc

Sunny_B,
Almost all 'name brand' radios are at least in the same ball-park as far as performance goes. Except for a very few, most are built using about the same mechanics (sticks, gimbles, etc.). If you like 'Futaba' (me too) then that's the brand radio to get if it has the features you want. If it doesn't, then get another brand. Mixing radios isn't always the best idea in the world cuz various brands do things a bit differently than others (signal type/structure). Different brands have different ergonomic features ('feel'). Pick the one you like. Nothing wrong with 'AM' or 'FM' or 'PCM', or whatever. They all can have interference problems, some more than others, but that's usually from the frequency usage and how long they've been around (just more of them, or the frequency band is used for other 'stuff').
Wanna change an FM radio from 'self centering' to a ratchet type thingy? Do it. About the only time that doesn't work too well is if it envolves tin cans and string...
- 'Doc
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Al Stein

Just so you know that it's still doable, my boats use the self-centering transmitter setup, but they do it with servos that only move when the stick is moved off center rather than following the position of the stick.

I'm sure a lot of guys think that's an odd way of adjusting a sail -- just as I found the other way odd when I tried it. Both ways have their good points.

When the stick commands position rather than movement like a ratcheted throttle stick), you can set the sail to a more-or-less specific trim without knowing its previous position. That might be good if the boat is at a location or attitude where it's hard for you to tell what the sail trim is, and it can be good when the wind is light and the fill of the sail doesn't necessarily reflect how it's sheeted.

When the stick commands trimming or easing the sails instead (in a self-centering stick setup), you can adjust sail trim in increments as exact as you want and any adjustment is based on how the sail is performing at the current moment in its current apparent wind. Notice, it's effect is based on adjusting to real-time observations of the apparent wind that the boat's experiencing -- which changes all the time. (It's how an on-board crew races a full-size yacht... watch the sails and adjust the sheets and/or helm to keep them driving the boat as efficiently as possible.)

Both ways work... so what's best is what you have access to (whether that means through already owning, through buying, or modifying , or whatever); what's comfortable for you to use; and what gives you the performance you need.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:27 PM
CadillacDTS2001

in lamens terms just open the back of the contorler and remove the string i have now 3 race ready sail boat and i dont have a "rachet" i just left it and it was fine it had enof strength to keep it in the position and eazy enof to move it