Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Concensus on the Aquacraft Paradise?

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Concensus on the Aquacraft Paradise?

Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concensus on the Aquacraft Paradise?

I have another sailboat but it's not easy to take apart and transport as this boat looks like it would be. I want something that is easy and fun to sail at a whims notice.

Speed is not important, this boat will never be raced.

This boat is very inexpensive, looks easy to tear down and roll up the sails and store in a trunk for a day out.

I did a search and very little came up.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Templus_Catticus

Default RE: Concensus on the Aquacraft Paradise?

First impression is that she looks like a soundly built boat but she is very small at only 26."

I know that is one of the qualities that appeal to you as long as you are also aware of the trade off you are making in the bargain. It's a big trade off, because I don't feel she would sail very well in any wind over (maybe even a little less than) 8mph.

Another bad sign is that she uses two standard (and not one at a higher torque) servos. Standard servo is quite adequate for the rudder but only in the lowest winds is she going to give you sail trim control.

I would imagine she would be only good for those summer days (like we get in the midwest) in which you average 3mph winds.

If the size is not too much for you I would look into the 32" Nirvana II from Megatech. Get the pro version (minus electronics...Megatech's electronics for this boat are not well done and will break down on you in all likelyhood...they did me) and order a radio, receiver etc. set from Hitec or Futaba. It will cost you no more than the Paradise does as is for $200.00 and you will get a well designed boat with great sails that will sail in much more diverse wind conditions. I know for a fact that Hitec's standard servos (I run an HS645MG for the sail) fit the Nirvana's electronic compartment without any modifications...just screw it in.

I've also read (but don't know for a fact) that the Nirvana's supplied sail servo horn will fit the Hitec...not knowing this I sanded mine down a bit and CA glued (with one retaining screw in the arm for added strength) her to the suppoied Hitec horn.

OH..another thing...the Nirvana comes with Mylar and carbon thread fiber sails that are excellent and tough. One of the best features of the boat.

I've also ordered a V-32 as my first kit build project. I like the 32" size as it does make it easy to transport in and out of my apartment and down to the pond fully rigged. ~TC

Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
pompebled

Hi hpiguy,

I have to agree with TC that it appears to be well built (never saw one in the flesh), but it is rather small.

Having seen the very embarrasing video at Tower, I would advice against it, it heels in the slightest of puffs and the sails look like a disaster, apart from the fact that the boat in the video was set-up very poorly.

If you want small and well performing, take a look at the Micro Magic from Graupner.
With it's 53 cm (20,86 inches) it fits fully rigged in every car and the performance is stunning!

I am not aware of how much MM are sold in the US, but in Europe the numbers sold are huge (over 2500 in a tiny country like the Netherlands with 1836 registered sailnumbers, resulting in highly competative sailing fields, likewise in Germany, France and the UK).

Next to the standard version, there's a MM-racer coming on the market later this year, with slightly altered lines.

Regards, Jan.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Templus_Catticus

Ahoy Jan and hpiguy:

I agree that in spite of its small size the Micro Magic must be a first class boat. I have read nothing but praises for this little craft on this and other forums.

The Micro Magic is a kit but it is stressed (like the V3 here in the U.S.) that it is an easy kit for the beginner. I almost bought one myself...the only thing that stopped me was that here in Cincinnati the clubs run the CR-914 (a little pricey and not a good kit for a beginner), the Soling 1-meter (a boat that seems to need a lot of modification and extra cash put in to her to sail really well...they even say you need a special jig tool to set the keel properly) and the Vic-32.

The Micro Magic is affordable in the U.S. (about $170.00) though with elecronics etc. you are probably going to wind up spending near $250.00 U.S. dollars.

The Micro Magic does not (yet) have a big following in the U.S. club wise...but if you are not worried about getting into the racing end of sailing in the future and can afford the little extra cash she sounds like a proven performer. ~TC
Old 10-28-2006, 08:34 AM
pompebled

Hi TC,

I can imagine the small MM doesn't (yet) appears in large numbers in the US, like you said, it's far more enjoyable to be able to sail with what's sailed locally (CR-914 a.o.).

On the other hand; if you bring along one to a local pond, you'll be surprized on how much response this little racer generates, if you are persistent, you'll be knee-deep in MM's before you know it.

It took Thijs Oosterheert about three years of lobbying with one of the first MM in the Netherlands, before the MM class started to grow explosively.
Due to it's size, the MM works with standard servo's and AA batteries, so the electronic "overhead" is minimal.

The CR-914 is a beautiful sailing boat, but a bit too expensive as a first kit, I got me a Thunder Tiger Voyager and after some mods I believe she can take on a CR-914.
Haven't had this opportunaty yet, as CR-914 are very scarce her in Europe, the nearest two I know of, sail in Bremen, a five hour drive from where I live.

Regards. Jan.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Templus_Catticus

Ahoy Jan:

Having read a great many of your posts and knowing how knowledgeable you are on the subject of RC Sailboats, I have to say you are doing a great job at convincing me that there is a Micro Magic in my future.

I could really use a boat that would still move in very light winds. Here in the midwest U.S. we have good winds in the Fall and Spring...even the winter when you can tolerate the temperature. However, in mid-Summer the wind can be just barely moving at 2-3 mph (sorry...I don't know how to compare that to bft...suffice it to say that this kind of wind is so light I don't even take the 32" Nirvana out on days like that).

With a Micro Magic sailing in this wind would again become an option as I would judge she is light enough to get some movement.

The AMYA, of which I am a member and is the sanctioning body for RC Sailing in the U.S., is a bit "stuffy" in the sense that they are biased toward the more traditional RC Boats. At least that is the impression I get reading between the lines. They like the large sizes and the boats with a history...a bit apprehensive of the young upstarts like the Nirvana and MM.

Like all things this should change over time.

Thank you for your comments and advice, TC
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
pompebled

@ TC:

It's not the US, but a little closer than Europe...:

http://ca.micromagic.info/

Regards, Jan.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Guiri

ORIGINAL: pompebled

if you are peristent, you'll be knee-deep in MM's before you know it.

It took Thijs Oosterheert about three years of lobbying with one of the first MM in the Netherlands, before the MM class started to grow explosively.

Regards. Jan.
The photos that I've seen of Thijs knee-deep seem to have been provoked by a certain Voyager skipper
http://www.modelzeilen.nl/forum/view...?t=664&start=0
For those unaware, Pompebled sails NED 13 and Thijs (auditioning for Kalvin Klein) NED 7 (the red hull).
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
pompebled

It's slightly off topic, but my Voyager got caught in the rigging of the NED-7 as a result of a do or die rescue attempt; both boats got stuck and Thijs had to get into the water (November!) to rescue both boats.

The boats were easily repaired on the spot and the brave rescuer only suffered from damp underwear for the remainder of the afternoon...

Regards, Jan.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Templus_Catticus

Jan: Thanks for the Canadian website link. Interesting reading and some great photos.

I will probably wait until next year to get the MM kit as I have the V-32 kit to occupy me this winter and with Christmas coming...budgeting gets tighter.

It will save money that the MM runs on standard servos and I will just order a receiver with the same channel as the transmitter (HiTec) that I have now.

I am the lone RC sailor on the pond in the park behind my apartment (lucky to have a body of water so close...a 30 second walk and I'm sailing!) so as of yet I have no worries about channel conflicts.

Funniest question I get asked all the time when I am sailing the Nirvana; "What kind of motor does your boat have?"

I tell them the "Mylar 525." Mylar sail material and 525 sq. in. of sail.

Best to you, TC
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM
acarter

hey
i own and use the paradise, great boat, not a fast one, very easy to assemble and very reliable i haven't had to buy anything for it yet, the only problem i had with mine is that the dummy railing is very fragile and if there are heavy winds and you lean over to far you will get a bit of water in the boat, but a little sealant could fix that

i would give this boat five out of five stars

did you check out the reviews on rcu
Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Larryds

I have the paradise and as a new boat driver this one was right for me. Easy to assemble and easy to sail. Having never sail a rc boat before the instructions were very helpful on how to do this. I have enjoyed numerous hours teaching myself to sail and now have become addicted to it. Plan on having a bigger boat this coming summer. I would recommend this boat to anyone just starting or thinking of starting sailing.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
cobrajocky

Don't you just love how RCers who have never - owned, touched, used or even seen in person - criticize, make assumptions against a model that someone asks an opinion on and then recommend something else that they own not surprisingly?? Thank goodness two ACTUAL owners piped up and set the record straight that the Aquacraft Paradise is a fine beginner to intermediate RC Sailboat!! Yeah I have one too that now is a training vessel for my grandson. PS, It does fine even in 15mph winds.

This why when I ask for opinions, I ask that ONLY actual owners give their actual experiences; otherwise but-out speculator "KIA's" (know it all's), because you steered potential happy owners in the wrong directions.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 AM
phordman

I also have one, sail by my self, all the guys seem to sail in the middle of the week while Im at work.

the keel is filled with led shot and smaller bird shot steel to fill in the smaller holes, I have not weighed it. only occasionally do I forget and sheet out the sails when not under a load and have the lines come off the pullys.

I would absolutely buy one again