Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

RC multihulls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

RC multihulls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 AM
pitch pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC multihulls?

Hi Idealist, hope this works? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

THE CENTRE HULL IS 40" LONG HAS 6" DRAFT AND 3.5" WIDE

THE TWO OUTER HULLS ARE 39.5 " LONG WITH A 5" DRAFT AND 3" WIDE , THE OVERALL WIDTH IS 40"IT IS VERY STRONG

AND WELL MADE AND ONLY WEIGHS 2kg

Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi pitch pole,
yes - the ebay link works with no problems.

Is this what you just bought?
Sounds like a great deal for me!

And the whole thing/structure is really only 2.0 kg as seen on the picture?
Is it made of carbon/epoxy?
You should be able to look inside the hull/floats somewhere.

If you need datas on building rigs/sails and so forth I can give you all informations
that you might need.

Idealist
Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 AM
pitch pole

Thank you. Always wanted a model multi hull. I use to sail a 1 meter as a child, got bord when the GROWN UPS couldnt keep up . Not yet collected the hull, think she is made from fibre glass? Any idea who made it or what class it would fall into. Due to my poor maths skill might strugle with some of the building Do you know of any where, or person selling bits which might be suitable to get her on the water?

Cheers cliff
Old 05-29-2011, 03:35 AM
ianinshanghai

Hello Cliff. I am a Brit living in Australia sailing a Mini40. You can see it here at the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ev8bMxdR0

I get my parts from one main source:
www.nylet.co.uk
Email (for Frank Parsons) is [email protected]

Sails: Good multihull sails can be bought from Andrew Wright in ther UK. His email is [email protected]

Another good source is Housemartin sails, website
http://www.housemartinsails.co.uk/

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Ian Holt

Old 05-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Idealist

Check here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408190

here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327995

here:
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/forumdisplay.php?52-General-Discussions-(MultiHull-MultiOne)

Or here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5101037/tm.htm

You will allways find persons like Dick Lemke, Chad, Siri and myself -

- Ernst Zemann aka boatbuilder aka Idealist aka disabled - over the last ten years or so.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 AM
pitch pole

Thats great thanks, Been looking at your vids before, do you have to remove the dagger board to get the hydro foils to work?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Idealist

ORIGINAL: ianinshanghai

Hello Cliff. I am a Brit living in Australia sailing a Mini40. You can see it here at the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ev8bMxdR0

I get my parts from one main source:
www.nylet.co.uk
Email (for Frank Parsons) is [email protected]

Sails: Good multihull sails can be bought from Andrew Wright in ther UK. His email is [email protected]

Another good source is Housemartin sails, website
http://www.housemartinsails.co.uk/

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Ian Holt

Hello Ian,
how are you these days?

I had no chance to thank you for all those great youtube videos you posted lately.
Thanks for sharing!!! - Really cool stuff you´ve achieved.

For some strange reason I don´t seem to have your current email-adress!?

Mine is still:
[email protected]

Kind regards,
Ernst
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 AM
pitch pole

Any idea on the make/ desighner or class?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Idealist

Please check with Dick Lemke here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408190

The class is MultiOneMeter.

Dick should know the designer.

Idealist
Old 05-29-2011, 04:37 AM
ianinshanghai

Ihave never tried to get the boat foiling with the centreboard in place.I must try that sometime and see what happens. You will see in some of the videos that the boat skids sideways when it heels.I thionk this is good because it therefore loses grip, otherwise if it did not it might capsize.

I have made a new set of foils that have small vertical tips on the bottom.Plan to test these next wekeend to see what happens (Iif there's a breeze)

Ian
Old 06-05-2011, 02:43 AM
tricat

Hi pitch pole my name is tricat thought I would just make contact with you as I live and sail multihulls in leeds.Due to old age and health I have
retired from the cut and thrust of multihulls,but still sail a 65m prototype and a 1m testbed trimaran.I used to sail monohulls in my racing days,then I started with the multihulls,never looked at any other boat since.I have been reading all the comments since 2008 so when I saw your posting I thought you would like to know if I can be of help.You can find my E-mail and telephone details in my profile.
Also hi to idealist and dick lemke nice to know multihulls are still in fashion!?
Regards to all Tricat.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
pitch pole

Hi tricat, Im living just the other side of york, east side. Would be great to meet up onece i have her fitted out. Nearest lake to me is allerthorpe park, which looks great for multi hull sailing. All i currently have are the hulls, do you have ANY bits which would be suitable, for sale?
Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 AM
tricat

Hi pitch pole,Regret I do not have any bits and pieces left from my racing days.My present multis are very cheap to build and perform well in most weather,but are not like the mini40 as they can be modified very easily for trim or rocker.the mast and sails are from my old days and are
of a very low aspect ratio type.Have you looked at the British Model Multihulls Association on the web? Although they are based in the south
they are very helpfull if you have any problems,they have a list of suppliers on their site. My sailing is with the rc sailing at Weecher resevoir near Bingley where 1m are the main fleet,but at the moment sailing has stopped because the water board have made it impossible to sail
because of repair work.So I sail at Yeadon Tarn next to the Leeds Bradford Airfield,a very nice venue to sail.
Try P J Sails for multihull bits and pieces,I used them in my racing days and found them very helpfull for advice.
Regards Tricat
Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 AM
pitch pole

Ok, have you posted any photos of the 65m prototype? Sure we could get some friendly multi hull racing when compleated. Do you know of any other multi hull sailors in the north? The lake i mentioned is great, easy access flat water and quite clean air. They also have canoes there for capsize retreval. I have been led to think the hull is a multi ONE meter, have you found any info on this class?

Regards cliff
Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM
tricat

Hi Pitchpole No I have not taken any as yet as I have not yet decided what shape I want to use for the floats, at the moment I am using the good old stand bye.Foam pipelagging till I get my new floats ready,The centre hull is made of depron,the basic shape is a modified version of the stressed ply hull for the full size international Moth.The depron sheet was 5mm so using the method for bending this as used for model aircraft it turned out well,The shape gives a very narrow entry and a chined pintail stern,the centre is a nicely rounded runnig up between the chines of the runout.Weight of the bare hull around 35grams.The total weight ready to sail is around 470grams depending on which battery I use.I must point out that the hull does not have a fibreglass skin and is prone to easily repaired damage. As for others in the north there is some interest over in Liverpool,I believe it is the West Kirby Club.The last time I heard they were looking at the foiling side of multihulls,but that was last October.Oh yes I was looking in my garage today and I found an unused aluminium mast that I ordered for my
1M monohull about 8yrs ago.It is approx.193cm(76inch)and 12mm(0.47inch).If your multi is a 1M the mast should be ok for your needs,as I no longer need it.I also found a una rig mast with sail for an old 36inch Pronto,the mast is the built in mast track type.It is built of a stronger gauge aluminium.70inch long 1/2 inch diam.When the sail is removed the mast returns to being straight.As I say I have no further use for them so if you would like them they are yours.
Regards Tricat
Old 06-09-2011, 01:09 AM
pitch pole

Hi Idealist have you seen this site, Most of the photos are of 2m multis. Follow the below link and click on his photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/105711950717688401305
Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Idealist

I haven´t seen these particular albums, but I know them (the boats).

Click on my nickname and have a look at my gallery.

One carbon/epoxy 2M Tri shell set is still stored.

Right now I´m not into building 2 M tris anymore.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:44 AM
pitch pole

Oh right how come your not intrersted in the 2m multi's any more? Are they easyer to sail, looks like a good size fleet to race againist.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Idealist

It simply didn`t pay off.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM
pitch pole

WOW that lake looks great, looks like the wind would have been good today from the forcast. What did you sail today the tri- test bed, any progress with your floats?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
tricat

Hi Cliff,Iwas sailing the one metre multi testbed.You're right about the weather,but very gusty though had no trouble with the middle rig.Re the 650m I have a multi with matching floats partially built also of depron but that is sidelined for now,I also have two modern cat hulls my own design or maybe with a bit of rebuilding they would make good outer hulls for the tri.My trouble is my health does not allow me to keep up with even the 65m they are too fast.there is a photo of the 1m tri though it was about five years ago on my profile.I am trying to get some photos onto my computer but it will not download from my camera[&o]Regards for now trevor
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
pitch pole

Hi Ian, can you recommend what sail winch would be suitable for my multiONE meter? I understand that reaction time will play a huge part in how she sails ( up right with any luck However im working to a budget. What are your foils made from? Sure you will have seen this before ...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJgsiS3xH8

Regards cliff
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 AM
tricat

Hi Cliff hope this works . the photos I mean!!!!!?[:-][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nl29771.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	1621124   Click image for larger version

Name:	pl32128.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	681.0 KB
ID:	1621125  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM
pitch pole

Ok thats a great idea for playing around with the floats, have you made them rigid in any way or does the foam not flex much. Maybe a stringer would increase performance, or maybe reuslt in capsize?

Love the sails. I remember as a lad, a guy using what looks like the same material for his one meter, but it was a brown/ tan colour. Where did you source it from and what did you use for the batterns?

Unsure if you have seen my hull yet? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
aardvark_issues

Hi Pitchpole,

I can probably help out a bit as the trimaran was mine until my brother threw it out two weeks ago unknown to me!

It is a 1M tri, built to no rules in particular as this was the largest size I could fit in my car boot at the time. I was using a #3 rig from a mini40. The hulls are all carbon, although it the mainhull was cut around a bit as an experiment on the part of my brother. We took it to one open meeting and in some shifty conditions the boat finished 3rd in a fleet of 8 mini 40's so it can be quite quick mainly as it tacked very well.

I've got some pictures of it being built and sailing from a few years ago which may help a bit with the rigging. I'm running the BMMA website here ( http://modelmultis.wordpress.com/ ) and will put them up in the designs section this evening.

Cheers

aardvark_issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.