Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sailboat kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sailboat kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Al Stein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sailboat kit

You guys crack me up!

I sail EC-12 #106 (no, there are no leading digits eliminated) and, with a lacquered 1/16" play deck, I doubt that there's a lighter option available in balsa or FRP, but in my judgement, it just don't matter! We're talking about a deck system weighing a few ounces in a boat baootomed with 26 pounds of lead (or low-temperature alloy in my case).

BTW, I think I understand the lack of wooden kits... A flying buddy of mine got interested a couple years ago, and i gave him a copy of the Meidad Abir Soling plans (from R/C Modeler), which he had built and sailing within about three weeks -- the only help he had from me was an initial look at my running gear and some fiberglass practice. Anyway, the point I was going to get to is that the only think a kit would have provided would have been the formaers (aka shadows), which took way less talent to cut out than the little bit it takes to plank them.

Anyway, I'm glad to see more folks giving it a try!

Edit -- Oh, did I forget to mention... the 106 still sails under her original deck, which was installed in 1971. Balsa decks? Fiberglass? Monokote? Whatever -- It's all good once she's out on the water!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:22 AM
LarryLudwig

I always see everyone focused on the deck weight. Forget that, I don't care what your deck weighs, tell me what your ballast weighs. If you are over 18 lbs of lead, you are in the ball park, if you are over 19, you are in the front row. (predicated on a 42" LWL.)

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Here is part of the results of all your input. attached is a picture of my neighbors Soling. (I'm a wee bit behind him at this point) I might get in trouble with him for posting his work but I felt he did such a great job it deserved publication. (someone call 911 if they don't hear from me soon )

Looking forward to a thaw at this point. thanks for all the advice!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93995.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	619971  
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 PM
bipeaddict

Very nice work. Be sure and register your Soling with the class and AMYA. Then when you are in VA come and sail with us. www.richmondmyc.org
Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Great job, I love the color of the sails. How did he do it?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
r/cmark42

I believe he simply sprayed it with fusion paint...I agree, the sails turned out nice
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
minunu

Hello, r/cmark42's neighbor hear...

thanks for the comments on the boat..

I used fusion paints on the hull...and "design master purple 740 colortool floral spray" for the sail. you can get the foral spray at Jo anns or Micheals not all have the same varities of colors ..so go to all before you pick a color. same with fusion at stores. make sure you sand w/600 before spraying abs plastic and keep the coats comming every 15 mins till you get the cover, ( once you stop you need to re sand no primer needed) . watch out for paint dust and stadic elec. on sail material. The dust can be wiped off with a paper towel ,if you do it right away. "This is my story and i'm sticking to it " THINK ICE DN4676
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
minunu

Hello, r/cmark42's neighbor hear...

thanks for the comments on the boat..

I used fusion paints on the hull...and "design master purple 740 colortool floral spray" for the sail. you can get the foral spray at Jo anns or Micheals not all have the same varities of colors ..so go to all before you pick a color. same with fusion at stores. make sure you sand w/600 before spraying abs plastic and keep the coats comming every 15 mins till you get the cover, ( once you stop you need to re sand no primer needed) . watch out for paint dust and stadic elec. on sail material. The dust can be wiped off with a paper towel ,if you do it right away. "This is my story and i'm sticking to it " THINK ICE DN4676
Old 02-13-2007, 07:14 PM
r/cmark42

Hey Minunu...

what is that DN4676? your license plate number?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
r/cmark42

Here we are, the last part of the project. Still have a few odds and ends to complete, but could not let Minunu get the last word . This has been a great little project. Your suggestions were all right on. Now we just need spring to hurry in to our area for our maiden sail

thanks again for all your help!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75058.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	621769  
Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Templus_Catticus

LtDoc:

This is the only wooden sailboat kit I have ever run across. It's made by an outfit in Colorado and is 37" long selling for $265.00 as a kit. This seems to include radio gear, all building materials (epoxy etc.) needed for assembly only lacking the spar varnish and they offer that as an option.

Seems like a quality boat:

www.modelsailboat.com/t37sail.html

I was tempted to get one but went with the Victor V-32 (under construction) as my first kit build as they sail in my area.

Regards, TC

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Al Stein

Has anybody here talked with the Tippicanoe guys (re: the T-37)?

I'd like to hear about their design philosophy. The boat looks very nice and they sure make it sound good, but I can't help but wonder why they chose a 37" LOA... it just misses being legal for running with 36/600 class boats and it wastes a couple of inches that would be valuable to a 1-Meter class boat. (Maybe they just liked the T-37 airplane...?)

The T-37 site also told me that I'm out of touch with the value of building something... over $900 difference between full kit and ready to sail. I'm a good builder with a lot of experience, but I mostly enjoy using my hands to make something that's precise, beautiful, and functional all at the same time -- I'd love to get half as much for doing that. (Any takers ?)

Back to the subject, though, what's anybody know about the T-37?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you took my (our) advice on the soling guys they both look really nice ill look forward to seeing them both sail so dont forget the video camera when you get them wet .
Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
r/cmark42

:-) will do martno1fan... (might be April before the pond thaws!)

One more question for the group. When I finshed the boat, I found I had a small peice of black rubber material about 1" x 1". I went through instructins and could not find where I missed this. Any clues as to what it is used for? Or was it part of the packaing of the boat?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:57 PM
bipeaddict

Yes, the little piece of black rubber. That little piece of black rubber goes over the bolt that extends up through the keel box. So it goes piece of rubber, washer, then the wing nut. Now if you made your keel non removable then the piece of rubber is not needed.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
r/cmark42

Mystery solved Thanks! It is going on right now
Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
LtDoc

r/cmark42,
About that little piece of rubber used for sealing the keel in the 'keel box'. As some of us have learned the hard way, it isn't always the best seal in the world. Daubing a little non-'plastic/wood/rubber' destroying type of grease on the top of that rubber piece certainly helps with sealing. Getting that nut tighter only works to a limited extent, then you get to start fixing things that over tightening sort of broke. Try it first, you may not need any additional sealing.
- 'Doc

(Is that ~my~ idea? Of course! I steal good ideas and then they're mine.)
(Except the over-tightening' thingy, didn't need to steal that one...)
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM
r/cmark42

Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Al Stein

I'm new at the removable keel thing, so a question...

I was thinking of doing a removable/replaceable keel, but not having seen them in models, I was going to do it like my dinghy... make sure that the top of the trunk is above water and it gives more leverage, ties straight into the mast step so stresses aren't translated through the shell of the hull, and, of course keeps the opening up where there's no water. Yeh, that's not a question... this is the question:

Am I correct in assuming from the talk of sealing the keel box that your box ends below the waterline?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 AM
LtDoc

Al,
Yes, you are correct. At least for most/some boat models.
- 'Doc
Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Al Stein

Hmmm... OK. Other than whatever it weighs, anything going to stop me from extending further upward?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 PM
tigerbay

Nothing to stop you.
But the box will still need to be sealed (watertight).

My boat has a very short keel box (1/2 " ), but the bolt/screw at the top of the keel is several inches long.
A brass tube is fitte3d between the top of the keel box and the deck, this is sealed/gued in with epoxy.
The keel bolt runs up through the tube and out above the deck and is attached with a knurled nut. This is just forward of the mast step.
This makes removal easy as access is from outside the hull.

The mast step is on the deck. The mast does not go down to the keel on this model.
I am guessing, but if both mast and keel forces went from deck to the bottom of the hull there could be a very large sheering force on the deck.