Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

#8 or 9 leed shot

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

#8 or 9 leed shot

Old 05-06-2007, 01:23 AM
benny2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #8 or 9 leed shot

dose any one have any extra leed i can by? its for the soling 1m keel. i need 6 lbs. i dont know if i can post this kind of add here but o well.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Hiaboo

Default RE: #8 or 9 leed shot

You could go to a sporting goods shop -- the kind that carries/sells firearms.. You could get a few lb## there.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used roofing lead to make mine it comes in rolls you wont need much to get 6lb ask at any local roofing firm.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

A few months ago I could not find lead shot locally, so I called Victor Model Products and had them mail me some. On their website it says:

"We suggest that your purchase your lead shot locally to avoid the cost of shipping. Shot can be obtained from most gun & ammo retailers. Another source may be from your local skeet shooting range. They sometimes sell reclaimed shot at a reduced price. #8 or #9 size shot should be used. If you are unable to obtain the shot locally, we will be glad to supply you. $9.95 "(plus shipping)

As I recall, I paid about $18 shipped for 8 or 10 lbs(?). Sometimes it is nice just to get something delivered to your door and get it over with!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM
LtDoc

A pint of #8 or #9 shot will weigh more than a pint of #2 shot. So, the smaller sized shot tends to be a better 'bargain' than other sizes (more weight per volume). But there's another 'side' to that bargain. If there are any holes what a #8 or #9 shot will fit through, there will be at least one of the @#$%$#@'s get through that hole to rattle around forever below deck! It can drive you crazy!
- 'Doc
Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM
LarryLudwig

Even better than #9 birdshot is lead beading from a blasting booth. If you have any "plating" shops, sometimes large truck tire companies have them... they often cast out their lead beading along with blasted material which contaminates the beads. Since it is HAZMAT they cannot just dump it, and it will accumulate. This is how I get mine. Remembering that it is EXTREMELY toxic to ANY skin contact and ANY handling of it should be done with the greatest respect for the health hazard it represents... the beads are actually smaller than #9 shot and will settle in more densely than anything save for poured molten lead. *

Fighter pilot Rule #3 Respect the Threat. Do not take lead lightly (no pun intended) it is an extreme health hazard. [>:]

*(which is not class legal in some boats)
Old 05-16-2007, 05:45 PM
benny2.0

i forgot i posted here. i found some shot. the boat is dun. thanks to all the replys.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5855620/tm.htm