Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

10th scale AC Racing Sailboats

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

10th scale AC Racing Sailboats

Old 06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 10th scale AC Racing Sailboats

Is there any interest in 10th scale Americas Cup class racing sailboats? These would have a huge 6ft hull and scale working sails that can be trimmed with real sail geometry not just flat 2D sails. The total weigh would be about 48lbs ready to sail.

I have a friend who has developed such a sailboat and I'm interested in seeing if there is much demand for such an awesome vessel. About 25 have been made and sold and he can produce more if there is a demand. He sort of retired the project but I'm interested in it so I'm poking around to see who else is too.

Anyhow this is just to put it out there in the sailing community on this board and I can supply more info if there are serious inquiries.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
LarryLudwig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 10th scale AC Racing Sailboats

The 1/10th scale AC boats are active in France, but they are quite a bit larger. Also notice that they are using genoas, which is why I developed the new winch for that sail.

They have been around for some time, but the AC class rules have changed enough that most guys that are interested are heading in that direction. I have setup to make these, plans are printed 1/10 full size and they are HUGE, so not to be out done we did them in 1/8th as well. Don't ask.... it's silly how big it would be. Unless you have a dedicated trailer or transport vehicle, you don't want to try it. My 14' dedicated trailer can barely move the spar. Then there are the 16' test models that were made prior to the boats themselves... they are almost comical... the appear quite similar to a single hull on a Hobie 16, but are slightly LARGER When I had the 10' masts made, I never thought I would be splicing two of them together.... Never say never!

I still send the odd mast over to Italy for these boats, but at last count there were only 10 of them counting the newest built.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM
michaele69

New winch? Genoas? Do you have more details? I looked on your site, and couldn't find anything. Pictures would be lovely [8D]

Thanks,

ME. EC-12 1969
Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 PM
LarryLudwig

The winch is an improved version of what was known as the "string eater" winch back in the old days... working along the same principle as the wringer at the carwash that you use to squeeze out your chamois. Drive it in one direction and then reverse the motor and drive it in the other. Since the Genoa sheet is essentially a loop, that is all that you need.

Here is a link to the old smaller version on the V-60, the principle remains the same, but the new one is faster, more powerful and of course larger. I am working on a smaller version right now that will fit the AC-20 class and should make a wonderful boat.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APo9uLq7Q00]youtube clip of V60[/link]
Old 07-02-2007, 11:02 AM
michaele69

Are either of these available for sale? If not, when? Cost?

Thanks,

Michael Edwards EC12 1969
Old 07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
LarryLudwig

Neither are available as of yet. I am still learning the Mach 3 software for the mill that makes the pieces. I am trying to keep the winch price at or below $100.00 One other nice feature is that you are not required to use the genoa (unless a class comes along that would do so) so you can still rig your boat for the self-tacking jib you are already familiar with using... and then use the genoa as you see fit.

I have to get down to a process that can be repeated easily, then I can make them in numbers.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
michaele69

Please keep me posted. I really, really want a genoa rig. They are just totally cool.

Michael Edwards EC-12 1969
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
MiniatureHarken

Count me in....I want to build the winner!! I will have all the Harken ready when she is done. I will most likely build a half hull and then pull station info. from that. Anyone interested? Dean D.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Buteos

Larry,
Is that set up legal for the AMYA J-boats????