Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Thunder tiger etnz 1 meter sailboat

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Thunder tiger etnz 1 meter sailboat

Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM
mikestonerealtor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder tiger etnz 1 meter sailboat

Any other etnz sailors out there? I have had my boat a couple of weeks and it has broke cheap pastic part three times. i have order them from the company and will try again but if this keeps happening I'll be selling it and getting a victor boat. She is a beautifull boat sails well but really has some cheap parts on her. Mainly the sail boom hing. So if anyone else has had this expirience or know of some fixes please let me know. mike
Old 11-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Guiri

Default RE: Thunder tiger etnz 1 meter sailboat

For your boom linkage see if you can graft on a ball joint type servo linkage:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXAPC4

<mod edit - removed links to competing forum>
Old 11-15-2007, 08:29 PM
mikestonerealtor

Thanks guiri but it not the linkage its the hing boom to mast. I've ordered more parts if it continues to be a problem Todd at isobar?? has a fix with his gooseneck. I hope I just had a bad batch of plastic but I doubt it. Ive glue it again and just got back from sailing again it didn't break this time but it was barely enough wind to sail. I'm thinking my next boat will be a Victor.mike
Old 11-16-2007, 01:52 AM
stevo7896

Hello Mike ,hopefully you got a bad batch.I just recieved one last week ............... And yes she is a beautiful boat and have seen a few areas that really need some help . example the plastic chainplates, which are mentioned in many threads as well as new sails. I talked to Todd at Isobar yachts the other day to get more info on the ETNZ sails and will probably be ordering a set soon,he was very helpful. Stevo

<mod edit - removed links to competing forum>
Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 AM
jim freeman

Hey out there,
I'm thinking about getting one of these boats is there nyony who can give me some input as far as possitives and negitives.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 AM
jim freeman

Hey out there,
I'm thinking about getting one of these boats is there anyone who can give me some input as far as possitives and negitives any problems and all that?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
mikestonerealtor

She sails well but is built with cheap plastic parts. A real looker too The etnz was my second boat the first is a sanbell rtr. I just order my third boat the Victor soling 1 meter seems to be a very good boat and its only $135,00 plus radio and servos I'll let you know how she does. mike
Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 AM
fmteng

Hi Fellow ETNZ Owners

Just got myself an ETNZ. Going thru the manual I came across the parts description No.35 O-Ring(3), but included in the box instead are 3 small o-ring plus another bigger size o-ring.

The only mentioned of o-ring in the manual is in page 06 where it is threaded onto the keel shaft.

Which of one in the picture below can I use and where should the rest go?

Thanks

Rgds
FMTeng
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62915.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	814557  
Old 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM
jim freeman

Hey Mike,
When you say cheap plastic parts are they parts that have to do with the rig or just decoritive stuff? And are they parts that can be replaced with better made after market parts or something else off the shelf? One more thing, Is the hull painted with the graphics or a solid color?
Thanks for responding.
Tight lines,
Jim
Old 12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
mikestonerealtor

Hey jim the boom hing broke off the mast and broke at the hing on the main sail side. TT sent me the parts card with those parts for 17 bucks. She does looks and sails good the hull is fully painted and a real looker.I think they should also have the other americas cup teams. so anyone else in your area would have other choices besides the New Zealand boat. I have three boats now a sanabell RTR the thunder tiger and a soiling 1 meter still under contruction. So far the sanabel is best sailing under all conditions and most reliable, and better in heavy winds. I think the soling will be a good boat too there are hundreds of them out there and have there own class in the amya. My boat is at the painters right now geting the alinghi team logo air brushed on it I hope it to be one of the best looking soling 1 meters out there. Tight lines, mike
Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 PM
tatolazo

Hi:
Check how i solved the problem of a "hinge" or gooseneck in my IOMs.-

tato Lazo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38639.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	830804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77697.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	830805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51636.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	830806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv61081.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	830807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht98081.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	830808  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM
jim freeman

Happy New Year Mike,
I've decided to get one of these boats and found one for $219.00. I don't have any idea about what kind of remote, servos and winches to get. Do you have any recomendations on size, brands and good(cheap) places to find them?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Windspiel

Has anybody have investigated what and were some rigging upgrades can be found
Have we installed the decorative parts on the deck ?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
v6goose

Howzit going guys...

I'm gonna pick up one of these as soon as I can and show these Canadians what a real yacht looks like

Apart from replacing the plastic chainplates, is there anything else I need to do?

Bear in mind I am a plane guy, not yachts, so speak-a the english...

Cheers!

Goose
Old 09-30-2008, 06:58 PM
jim freeman

I found this guy's web site and it looks like he might have a good set of sails and some good rigging upgrades. He has three typs of sails for a reasonable price and I think they look good from his pictures. I bought my boat for the hull shape and type or rig it has but the first thing I did was to strip all of the stickers off the hull and give it a sea foam Awl-grip paint job w/ white boot stripe and black bottom. I am now in the prosses of giving her a teak deck with some scrap wood from a deck I just finished at my shop. My wife says I have to fix everything I get but I'm going to keep it in the office at work so it's only right that it looks custom.Right? Anyway, Here is the address to the guy who makes the nice sails. http://www.isobaryachts.com/etnz.htm
Good luck and enjoy your boat,
Jim

Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 AM
v6goose

Good one, thanks Jim...

Got any pics of yours?

Goose
Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
jwnrocks

Although the kit is awesome looking, and very fast on the water there are a few things you need to watch out for when putting this boat together.

1. The winch setup in the instructions is totally useless unless (I suppose) you can find an exact matching sized winch wheel to keep it from fouling fore, and aft. I went with the continuous loop method, with the addition of a couple small pulleys, but have had a few problems with this setup as well. I'm going to switch to the non-continuous loop method which should resolve line fouling & tension issues.

2. It's a tight space, so I reccomend NOT glueing the entire servo box in. I glued only the bottom cross pieces, then rigged up a wire to secure it in place. You can then remove the box easily for servicing & replacement.

3. All the deck winches just get in the way of the lines. Don't put 'em on, they just get broken after getting caught in the lines.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:41 AM
v6goose

Cheers JWN...

Here's a question: Does anyone know of any plans for this hull shape and design? A scratch build might be an interesting project...

Goose
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 AM
jwnrocks

I don't know about the hull plans, but I have a question of my own. Does this model have a competition class sail? I've got a couple friends getting geared up to build some sailboats, and they are looking at various models so we can have some informal races. The question of organized competition came up, and I don't know if ETNZ fits into any racing class.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
jim freeman

Hey Goose,
I was trying to give you some info about some plans and just as I was getting ready to send it my little girl slapped the keyboard and I might have lost it. If you did not get the post let me know and I'll send it again.
Jim Freeman
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 AM
v6goose

Hi Jim...

Nope, didn't get it, would you resend?

Cheers

Goose
Old 11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
jim freeman

I have some plans for some of the other America's Cup boats from the same series but not this one. Some are not complete and will take some work to use to make a plug but might do well if you want to make a one off. They are a different scale though.1/20 If you want them give me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.
Jim
Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 AM
jim freeman

I'm not really into the racing thing. I just like playing with the sails and making the boat go, but you can fiind out at the American Model Yachat Racing Assocation web site I would guess.
Later,
Jim
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
v6goose

Great!

Thanks Jim, PM on its way.

Goose
Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
v6goose

I'm not into anything racing either Jim, except screaming at the TV during the racing... its a big deal for a Kiwi

I love the look of the ETNZ yacht and if they are anything like planes, the bigger they are, the better they sail (fly)...

Imagine then, zooming around the place in say a 1/10th scale hull... a shade under 2.5m long. Cool !

Even double the size of the TT one would rock.

Now I'm not saying its gonna happen, but I would be keen on glassing one up 'just to see'...

Thanks for the plans. Even though the NZ yacht is not included, the hull shape of our nemesis (Alinghi) is the closest and usable for this experiment.

Cheers!

Goose

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.