Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

2.4GHz in a boat

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

2.4GHz in a boat

Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4GHz in a boat

Any thoughts on useing the new 2.4 GHZ radios in the bottom hull of a sailboat.
Any problems with that little short antenna getting the signal next to the water?
Jim
Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 PM
fresbill

Default RE: 2.4GHz in a boat

Hi Jim,

My 2.4GHz Rx works great in my ODOM.
The fiberglass hull has carbon-fiber though out but no gliches.
I'm very happy w/ the 2.4.

Bill
Old 04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
hiljoball

2.4 radios are in use by hundreds of RC sailers, especially at the top competitive levels, as it gets away from frequency conflicts at regattas.

A common technique is to stick the Rx up under the deck with velcro, and tape the arials, one fore/aft, and the other across the beam. Works great.

I have read of problems with 2.4 radios used in carbon fibre planes. Some RC boat classes allow CF. They may have some problems with the arials inside the hull.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 AM
LtDoc

Jim,
The 2.4 Ghz systems will work fine in any type boat except a submarine. They just don't like water much, as in getting under it, not just being around it, sort of. The 'biggy' about the receiver being in the bottom of the hull is that it could mean that the signal has to pass through water to get there. I'm not saying it couldn't do that, just that there will be some measurable decrease in signal strength after it does. How much is too much? I have no idea and don't plan to measure it any time soon, too lazy.
Some things are more RF-transparent than others. A radio can 'see' through some things, can't 'see' through others. That ability to 'see' through things changes as the frequency used by the radio changes, and so does how that signal 'behaves'. Lower frequencies tend to 'see' though things and even 'see' around corners. Higher frequency radios tend to loose those 'see though' and 'around corners' abilities till you get to the UHF frequency ranges where they tend to only 'see' things in an unobstructed straight line, sort of. So, keeping the antenna(s) of the receivers of those UHF type radio systems above any obstructions is a pretty good idea. Moving that receiver from the bottom of the hull to the top of the hull may not seem like much increase in height, but it certainly could be enough to make a difference. Moving it to the top of the mast would be even more better! Oh, but the problems that could cause! Wish I hadn't said that
- 'Doc
Old 04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Michaelj2k

A large number of EC-12 skippers are using 2.4ghz. Take a look at http://www.ec12.info to see a typical installation.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 PM
MX240

Thanks...Bill ...John....Doc...Mich.... information that I could use. Bought a JR DX 6i. Got in at the last moment on the receiver give away.
Thanks
Jim
Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

I am using 2.4 GHz in both my CR-914 and EC-12 with no issues. I have the Spektrum 6DI with the 6200 reciever in both boats. This is the receiver with the remote unit (full range). Used in a regatta with at least 20 other boats on (mix of 2.4 and 75) no problems.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Mark O
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
DNCrosby

I bought a DX7 and had incredible performance with the included receiver, but needed it for the Helicopter I had bought the radio for, and bought a cheap $50 park flyer 6 Ch. receiver, and it worked a lot better than expected, but at about the point where I was uncertain weather the boat was coming towards me or going away (100-120 yards) I had intermittent connectivity/control. But I just walked a little along the bank and held the receiver up and it re-connected. And since the Spektrum radios, have a failsafe where it won't overdrive your servos, and just leave them at neutral it wasn't really an issue. With the offer from Spektrum I should be receiving another set of receivers, and then I might get a little more daring as to what i'll try mounting wise
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
MX240

Thanks DNCrosby....That was the one question I had as I also bought the park flyer 6100 receiver. I did a range check with the boat sitting on the grass and got a good 400 ft and if I turned the transmitter antenna sidewise to the boat I could get a lot more range out of it.
I have a 6200 and a 7000 receivers and now I think I will mount one of those instead of the 6100.
Mark has written above this post he is running a full range (2 receivers) with no problems.
Thanks for the info.
Jim
Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Fairwind

I agree with Fresbill in that the 2.4 works well in r/c sailboats. We have several members of our club that are hooked on them. It sure helps not having to worry about channel conflicts.

By the way Fresbill where is X, CA?

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 AM
fresbill

Rick,

On your map it's just north of Visalia, look for the X.

See ya at the Pond,

Bill