Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Nightmare MKVII Trimaran Build Log

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Nightmare MKVII Trimaran Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Rat Rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nightmare MKVII Trimaran Build Log

Hello newbie from Auckland NZ here, I would like to make contact with builders here in Auckland who would be allow me to view their project
Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Rat Rod,
you just need to move a few millimeters to get in contact with another Kiwi!

May I introduce you to Gary Morse:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...mpage_7/tm.htm
Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Rat Rod

Yes I have been reading with interest and have been impressed at the work you and Gary have completed, I feel unworthy of such talent around me, however I wish to join the growing list of people who can say I built this.

I currently sail a IOM TS2 and are very proud to have an AC15 but these are not the same as thrill of a trimaran.

From reading the threads I am sure I could do something, but to see would be a whole different level with the view to saling within a fleet in the future.

I hope I can do this the justice it deserves from the time and effort that has gone before me.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Idealist

Talent?
Did I ever mention that I´m "talented"? *ggg*

Oh no - it´s more likely subborn-ness (the unwilling-ness to give up) +
+ experience, training - whatever -...-

-...- mainly a huge love towards sailing + owning fast (a) multihull(s).

If you are really into building yourself a rc-trimaran,
just send an email to me -
[email protected]
And you´ll get all necessary plans for free!

If you are too lazy to build yourself - or give up half way,
you still can contact Gary Morse -
or MORSPEED, as he calls himself here in this forum and others.

Or TBK, who´s buildlog we are just "missusing" here -...- *ggg*

Or SIRIT from Thailand of course - at www.rcsails.com/multihulls.htm

I consider all three of them as friends and related souls -
and they also have these plans I had designed + their own ideas and experiences!

Now it´s on you to decide!

Quote:
"Even the longest journey/trip/voyage starts with the first step!"
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Morspeed

ORIGINAL: Rat Rod

Yes I have been reading with interest and have been impressed at the work you and Gary have completed, I feel unworthy of such talent around me, however I wish to join the growing list of people who can say I built this.

I currently sail a IOM TS2 and are very proud to have an AC15 but these are not the same as thrill of a trimaran.

From reading the threads I am sure I could do something, but to see would be a whole different level with the view to saling within a fleet in the future.

I hope I can do this the justice it deserves from the time and effort that has gone before me.

Sounds like you got a nice fleet going on there mate!, only thing you're missing is a multi. Be great to have few other Mini40's local, There are already a handful of multi's in Auckland but i'm picking a lot of the owners have had them hanging up in garages ever since NZ lost the Cup and our local talent set up camp in Europe.

What are you planning on building?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:49 AM
Rat Rod

Well I have down loaded the plans of the nightmare VIII. Would you be up for a visitor, what part of Auckland are you in?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Morspeed

I'd be happy to share some ideas, out by Half Moon Bay marina, pm me with a ph # and I will drop you a line.

Cheers...Gary
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Idealist

Looks like I "may" have grown up on the wrong side of this planet.

I hope you two guys join up well over there.

Good luck with the Mk.VIII, Rat Rod.

Idealist
Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 PM
harow

hi guys.

kerrin from new zealand. ive downloaded both the mkv11 and mkv111 plans , a few questions , do all the internal fittings rc gear rudder and fin posistons mast etc that are shown in the mkv11 plans all corrispond to the mkv111 dimensions?, does the rig base have a slider or something that slides when that adj screw is wound in or out? this is going to be my 1st rc build, so am a lil green on it all, im a cabinet maker so im up for the challenge, who in new zealand is the best sail supplier?

i have a IOM but want more speed so have opted for a trimaran

kerrin
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Morspeed

ORIGINAL: harow

hi guys.

kerrin from new zealand. ive downloaded both the mkv11 and mkv111 plans , a few questions , do all the internal fittings rc gear rudder and fin posistons mast etc that are shown in the mkv11 plans all corrispond to the mkv111 dimensions?, does the rig base have a slider or something that slides when that adj screw is wound in or out? this is going to be my 1st rc build, so am a lil green on it all, im a cabinet maker so im up for the challenge, who in new zealand is the best sail supplier?

i have a IOM but want more speed so have opted for a trimaran

kerrin
Hi Kerrin, sorry for slow reply...spent the last week fishing in the sunny Bay of Islands,

welcome to the world of Mini40 building, if ya get stuck , yell out!.

not sure on your V11 vs V111 dimension question, check with Idealist ( the man with the plans)....

For the mast base..I would think a adjustable slider foot arrangement would be a very good idea and this is what I will put on my mini40.

As for sail suppliers....hmmmnnn, I have been very happy with build quality and price from Todd at Isobar yachts, but...as the sails you decide on are really still a developmental idea then what and how you decide to build foot/ luff/ leach/ square top main...etc...will need some thought.I am sure there are a few good sail makers in NZ..the iom guys would know this for sure.

Cheers..Gary
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
harow

thanks gary

i thk best thing to do is print out the plans and cut out the stations and set em up a build jig and start building, i was thinking is there a decent balsa suplier in new zealand as the only shops in new plymouth dont stock realy anything at all and you obviously need a heap of 2.5mm balsa, was going to use 3mm thinline mdf but thought balsa would be easier to shape, i was keen to build moulds and try and build like 3 boats so i have some people to sail against

kerrin
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
kiwibob72

Gary and Kerrin, I feel that if your looking for sails, if i was you I'd go and see Power Sails for sails (http://www.powersails.radioyachting.com/), he is over the on Auckland's north shore if I remember right.
I have a set of his sails on my IOM ...... they are nothing less than a work of art, and VERY reasonably priced too - far less that what the time, effort and cost of doing them yourself is worth!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 AM
patti66
Banned

good , look at this http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/2...3/RC-Boat.html
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Morspeed

ORIGINAL: harow

thanks gary

i thk best thing to do is print out the plans and cut out the stations and set em up a build jig and start building, i was thinking is there a decent balsa suplier in new zealand as the only shops in new plymouth dont stock realy anything at all and you obviously need a heap of 2.5mm balsa, was going to use 3mm thinline mdf but thought balsa would be easier to shape, i was keen to build moulds and try and build like 3 boats so i have some people to sail against

kerrin
Hey kerrin, where did you go...sent you a pm yonks ago with no reply?, you still building mate??.

Cheers...Gary
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
richard campbell

Hello All
Long time reader, But first post. I have been looking to get a Rc tri for a while but now have the time to start to get building. I have sent an email to idealist for my plans and just waiting for them to come back.
I have asked for nightmare 7, But now thinking that the nightmare 8 might be a better option, I have build 2 full size catamarans (4.9M or 16ft), But don't have that room any more.
Ihave been reading all the posts on this forum and it's got me very inspired to get started, Will keep you all posted
Thanks Richard
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Idealist

The plans for free download are now at:

http://rcsails.com/cart/index.php?cP...0dfcc4f5e4036f

You will need to register there, but the plans are all for 0.00 $

Good luck and have fun.

Idealist