Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

2M-Foiler versus Mini40 Foiler!

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

2M-Foiler versus Mini40 Foiler!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Idealist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2M-Foiler versus Mini40 Foiler!

This isn´t a new thing, but interest is increasing!

Several boats with different concepts have been built in the past in France, USA, Spain and Germany.
If you know of any other boats/designs from other countries, please post pics and links here!

Mainfactor still seems to be LOWEST possible boatweight.

May the discussion begin!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51698.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1162435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88760.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1162436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33591.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1162437  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 AM
eltoro

Default RE: 2M-Foiler versus Mini40 Foiler!

Hi Idealist,

I have long had an interest in building a 2 Meter Multi-Hull. There is however a distinct lack of information on these boats,at least on this side of the R/C Sailing World. There was a North America based 2M Multi-Hull website, done by Jerry Grigg I believe his name was, but that is no more. There are of course a lot more information floating around on your side of the big pond, like [link]http://www.multis2.fr/index[/link] but not being converse in French, leaves me on the outside looking at pictures (should of studied more diligently in French Class! Same goes for the German forums on Multi-Hulls. There are pictures to view but often it is of the finished product, inspirational, however the step by step process of building a Multi-Hull in the English speaking domain is very limited on the web. The building thread by TBK on your Nightmare design, is welcome change to the norm and is one of the best informative sources I have yet seen, Hopefully it will inspire more interest, discussion and building/design ideas. I am currently also building your design, having completed the Main Hull structure and nearing completion of one float hull. I am utilizing the one-off balsa/fiberglass method. I am certain that once I get the boat out on the water this sailing season, it will further set my appetite to build a 2 Meter Multi-Hull. Everything I have been able to read on these particular craft seems to indicate that the 2M are more stable in regards to pitch-poling and capsizing then its smaller cousins, the Mini 40's. Not to mention faster too.

I did obtain the plans of the Midnight Oil 2M from Traplet Publications, which is based on the Mini 40 Ghost Train design, which I know you are not too keen on. A couple of years ago I came upon an article by Andy McCulloch who was the designer of the "Train Series" of Multi-Hulls. He discussed the evolutions of his various designs, the Ghost Train was the last in the Series and he basically stated that this boat was designed as an out and out Racer, with a narrow tolerance level and difficult to sail well without a lot of previous experience with Multi-Hulls but it was a proven race winner competing against very good French Multis. His earlier Freight Train design was a more stable and forgiving platform to sail, although not as fast around a race course (I have this plan as well). In regards to the Midnight design, he could not vouch for its performance because at that time he had no knowledge of one being completed. I have since viewed pictures of a functioning Midnight Oil but have neither read, viewed a video or been able to contact an owner of this particular Multi-Hull to find out how well it performs and any and all building challenges in construction.

Have you designed and built a 2M based on your Nightmare design? I am sure I would not be the only one interested if you have or plan to do so in the future.

There is even less information on the Hydro-Foil concept when it comes to R/C Sailboats. That is undoubtedly the prime reason why there has been no discussion on this thread to this point. I am sure there is a true interest and curiosity out there amongst us "Forum Lurkers" but speaking for myself as one and also not being an engineer/designer, the idea of trying to adapt from a full sized Hydro-Foil design into an actual R/C working Hydro-Foil Sailboat, to be a daunting and intimidating task. There are some photos and brief descriptions of functioning Foil equipped R/C Sailboats but not enough info for a "Nuts and Bolts" builder like myself to undertake with any confidence for reasonable success. Having said all this, it would be a safe bet that I would not be overstating the fact that the Fastest R/C Sailing Craft would be a Hydro-Foil equipped 2 Meter. There is always an interest in the "Need for Speed" when it comes to a guys hobby toys, R/C Sailboats included. So hopefully you will further expand in the near future on your concepts of building a Hydro-Foil Trimaran. There will be a keen interest from many.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Idealist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fZZ...eature=related

A pic says more than thousand words.
Then how about this video???

If you need more datas tell me after watching these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmake...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzzt...eature=related
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM
TBK

eltoro

Thanks for the kind words about my build. I would be anxious to see how you are coming along with your build. Any chance on you posting some pics here or on the Nightmare build log? I am curious to see how you plan to make the crossbeams and what method of attachment you had in mind. If you've already completed the main and one float hull then you have already made some decisions in this regard. Good to see I'm not the only crazy Canadian who gets a jolt out of building and sailing model tris.

TBK