Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

monsoon or phantom?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

monsoon or phantom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Windchaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: monsoon or phantom?

Viper
It is you call, and if you are happy, I am happy. There are other reasons besides having the option of enjoying a "cool one" to using the stick radio. While that in and of it's self is reason enough to use one, there are more tangable advantages.

As you are predisposed to your opinion, and rigth or wrong as they say "perception is everything". In time you may come to understand why most of us use the stick radios.

Enjoy.
Winchaser
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually switched the M900 over to my TH9X stick radio over night and give it a GO. I will give it the shake down and decide from there.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
gpzy

ORIGINAL: Windchaser

Viper
It is you call, and if you are happy, I am happy. There are other reasons besides having the option of enjoying a ''cool one'' to using the stick radio. While that in and of it's self is reason enough to use one, there are more tangable advantages.

As you are predisposed to your opinion, and rigth or wrong as they say ''perception is everything''. In time you may come to understand why most of us use the stick radios.

Enjoy.
Winchaser

I prefer a stick radio myself. Although when I first started sail i had my sail winch set up opposite of what it should have been . Heck I didn't know better. Wether you use a stick radio or a pistol grip one go out and enjoy your time on the water.

Manny
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
01VIPER27

I had my M900 out today for an hourusing my Fly Sky TH9X and frankly speaking, here are the results;

Fly Sky TH9X / Fly Sky GT3B

Weight;
Heavy / Much lighter

2 CH Base Function
Same / Same

Control Friendly
Pre-settable Cruise Control on CH2 - Frees Left Hand / No Cruise Control - Always on thetrigger

UserFriendly based on a 1 hour run
Heavy but less fatiguing to use / Light but fatiguing to use

Today all I brought is the stick radio and the boat which I do not normally do. I usually plan to take 3 models when I go to the local pond using the GT3B. The only real advantage that I found is that the TH9X although heavy is less fatiguing to use.

I maybe bias to theGT3Bbut that is simply becuase I went into the hobby using a pistol grip to control my land vehicles. I can almost asure myself that if I have chosen to fly models when I startedin the hobby that I would be bias to the TH9X stick radio. Todays run was more enjoyable than yesterday not becuase I was using my stick radio but more like I know better to control my M900with either radio equipment.I am well versed on the stick as I recently got into flying and using either radio really did not make much difference to me. I guess the real question is do I bring two radios when I go boating at the local pond.

I will leave the M900 on TH9X for now. FYI, I have a friend who refuses to use pistol grip radios even on his land vehicles and he has lots of them. His first love is flying and had always used a stick. We call him TWOSTIKTOM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Windchaser

Viper
As you use the stick radio, you will grow to prefer it for sailing. At some point, and if you decide you want to expand your sailing experience, a full featured radio can be of value to you. As your skills and experience evolve, you will find by setting up end points and exponential's youcan enhance your sailing control.
Dampening the rudder, can add control in high wind conditions. You can set your sail servo to pull the sails in further or release them further to maximize and expand your control in a wider range of conditions. These are the same kinds of things you do to your airplanes.
Just food for thought.
Windchaser
Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 AM
01VIPER27

Windchaser,
My M900 will stay on my Fly Sky TH9X simply because I do not want to remove the spring on the trigger of my GT3B which is a part of its safety feature. In other words The stick radio is better suited for a sail boat. as I can leave the winch at any preset position on CH2. I will be bringing 2 transmitters when I go boating. As fo exponential settings I dont think I will ever need to go that route. I am sailing better than a minute ago.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
boyzey

HiEveryone

I came accross this thread as i have just purchased the Monsoon 900 and i was wondering if anyone out there has a list and order of the thomg i will need to upgrade before i try and sail on the maiden voyage.

currently it has cotton rigging

Cheers

Tim
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
NedKelly

Have a look at www.shipshaperc.com for stuff about the Monsoon and some other ones.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 AM
boomer1

ORIGINAL: boyzey
HiEveryone
I came accross this thread as i have just purchased the Monsoon 900 and i was wondering if anyone out there has a list and order of the thomg i will need to upgrade before i try and sail on the maiden voyage.
currently it has cotton rigging
Cheers
Tim

Tim,
I have read most of the forum threads on Monsoons that report more issues with their boats than I experienced. I have included some notes on those I made to my Monsoon to prepare it for use. I am sure there are other ways to accomplish the same things but these suggestions are how I did it.

1. Stabilizing the mast –

The mast comes in two pieces to facilitate shipping, but the method the factory provides to keep the two pieces together is inadequate, and will not hold it together in proper alignment.The Fix = drill four 1/16” holes in the mast using the two holes the factory has pre-drilled in the mast pieces as your starting points. Drill all the way though the mast and the plastic coupling that bridges the two pieces together. Be sure the pre-drilled holes in the internal mast coupling are lined up with the holes you are drilling and with the holes in the plastic bridge piece, (It has two holes already pre-drilled.) Be sure the two mast sections are perfectly aligned before drilling. I suggest you secure the mast pieces to a straight edge that you can lock the mast to, insuring the mast is in the proper alignment before drilling. Use SS bolts, flat washers and self locking nuts. This is really pretty simple, but care is required to insure you don’t mess up the mast and the internal coupling.
2. Sealing the electronics bay hatch for a water tight seal - This fix is for the Monsoon. The Phantom hatch is different -a bit better set up, but it can be improved upon.
The pictures below shows the hatch modifications and the location of 4 servo arms which have been mounted to the deck. I used 4 small servo arms, trimmed to fit the space which now secure and seal the hatch. The 2 arms in the front, are rigid and don't move. The two in the back both swivel. I replaced the foam furnished by the manufacturer, replacing it high density foam (a good quality weather stripping will work fine.) The foam used on this boat was 3/8" wide, about 1/4' thick which allow the hatch to slide under the 2 front servo arms, which then compresses the foam and seals the front section of the hatch. The rear 2 servo arms are used as "lock down" arms that swivel out of the way to remove the hatch, and lock it down and seal it. I slide the front edge of the hatch under the 2 front "hold down" arms, and then I press down on the back edge of the hatch to compress the foam, and then swing the 2 rear servo arms in place. There is adequate pressure to create very water tight seal around the entire hatch. Simple and effective and doesn't look bad either.
3. Properly sealing the “rudder well”-
The cover provided from the factory for the “rudder well” is a thin piece of plastic coated cardboard. This issue here is that if you use their seal and use and adhesive to hold in place, you won’t be able to access the rudder connection unless you destroy the cover they provided.To address this I made a replacement from a plastic cap I had in my garage that I had saved for some unknown reason, and a cap plug from a hardware store. As the plug was just a little smaller the opening, I was trimmed piece of 2 sided foam tape to fit around the plug to making a good seal. It pushes in, and stays in. It can be removed to access the rudder well. Before inserting the rudder a lubricated the shaft with white lithium grease, and then I put a small O-ring on the shaft to help seal the tube the rudder shaft goes through. As I recall the factory supplies an O-ring for the rudder shaft (slights on the shaft first then insert the shaft in the boat) if it is not there get one and also put a little water proof grease on the rudder shafts before installing it.
4. Keel connections -
The keel is secured to the boat with a threaded shaft at the top, and bottom to attach the keel’s ballast pod. The factory shaft would be better if it were a bit larger in diameter to better support the weight of the keel assembly. Once you add 1.3 kg (1.3 kg = 2.8 lbs) of lead shot to the pod, there is a pretty good load on that shaft. As the boat goes though the water, the greater the load becomes. To date, I have not heard any reports of one breaking a shaft. I added a small O-ring to seal the shaft as it comes up through the hull. Put a light coat of water proof grease on the shaft before you install it.
My friend choose to epoxy the keel into the hull. This results in a strong water tight assembly. Granted, it makes transport and storage more difficult, but it fixes this issue. If you opt not to bond the keel, be sure you use properly fit O-rings on the shafts where the shaft meets the hull and on the top side as it protrudes upward. Use SS flat washers to prevent cutting into the fiberglass as you tighten the nuts.If possible use SS self locking nuts.
You may find that the keel SS shaft may need to be shortened or trimmed at the top to permit the factory provided trim plug to be installed (The plug hides the top of the keel mounting shaft) Mine was too long, and it had to be trimmed slightly for me to put the plug in the hole.
5. Securing the shroud guides-
My boat came with small plastic sleeves to prevent the spreader’s roughly cut holes from snagging the shroud lines, which sooner or later will cut them if the sleeves are not in place.The best way is to de-burr the holes in the spreader. The easier way is to put a little dab of silicone on each one to secure it in place. My shroud like lasted about a year, before they needed to be replaced.
6. Get a small bottle of clear nail polish and carefully apply or ”dab” a little on the all of the screw heads you can see. The factory does not use SS screws. Yes it is dumb, but they think they save a few pennies. This will inhibit rusting.
The yellow balloons inside the boat are just a little added protection for my receiver and battery pack should an unforeseen event occur that results in getting a lot of water inside the hull. I don’t know what type of radio you will be using if you plan on using a 27 GHz radios and receiver, they work and are cheap. They have issues! I would consider investing in a 2.4 GHz radio and receiver. They are far superior and provide a number of nice features that can add to your sailing fun. HobbyKing.com sells inexpensive multi-channel stick radios for under $40.

At some point you may wish to upgrade your cotton string the factory uses for the shrouds with a "Spectra" type fishing line or toa 1 x 7 strand SSnylon coated fishing leader and installing some rigging screws. There are other choices for setting up an adjustable connect at the bracket. Dubro makes annumber plastic and metal Clevis devices http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD875&P=7"..that work well and are less expensive. See photos below for reference. Check out this link: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEVW6&P=7

This should get you started. Post any questions you have - I am sure forum members will jump in and help address them.
Boomer/Winchaser

Tim

(There is a more active forum on sailboats at rcgroups.com - find the boat section and then go to sailboats.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52236.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1660126   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44430.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1660127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22527.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1660128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53616.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1660129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny28016.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1660130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn87143.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1660131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43862.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1660132  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
giddyuperic

Hello guys and maybe gals. I have a phantom and want to redo the rigging with the kevlar lines. But I don't know what size to buy? All I can find is 1.1 and 1.5mm so if someone could please tell me what size kevlar line would fit on there that would be great. I know it is not the best boat but I am slowly try to make her better. I am a disabled vet and only make so much per month so the phantom is what I have and would like to make her better any way posible any help would be great!!! Thank you for your time. Eric
Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 AM
01VIPER27

Hi Bud,
You do not have to use kevlar, I use a15lb kite line fom any hobby shop. $6 buckd the most and you get a 100', or if you fish and have spider wire rated at 15lbs or more is just as good.

Join us at shipshaperc.com.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
giddyuperic

I found the kevlar in the two sizes I talked about and you get 10 meters for 13 bucks with free shipping. So I thought I would go with that it comes in blue and yellow too. So is there a size for it? The 1.1mm or the 1.5mm? I was just on the other site and that will have to wait tell next month as I said I am disabled and the ARMY only gives me so much per month fix income big time. I just like the kevlar and this is my second boat and grew up on them my whole life the big ones that is. Any help besides the things you already told me would be great. I have fire wire in a couple of my fishing poles right now. Thanks Eric
Old 06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
jucava

My problem with www.shipshaperc.com is that unless you buy their book you will not be able to join the forum, if you can't join the forum you can't see the pictures, and we're visual animals
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
01VIPER27

Yes, but you get a ton of info from thatand you are amongst the people that owns the same yacht that tells you how to makeyour boatlast and improve itsperformance. A vivid imagination and your yacht is really all you need to to have. Its like reading a book minus the pics.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
giddyuperic

I agree but you still have to pay just to get on the forums . And I still can't find out what darn size line to put on her. Is it 1.1mm or 1.5mm ? No body seems to know if I mic it the mic say 0.51 so that is half of 1mm I think and I don't know if the 1.1mm will fit all the rigging holes? Like you said we are visual beings and I like the blue kevlar and that is what I would like to run. But why buy it if I dont know if is going to fit??? Any help would be great please and thank you. I have seen the phatom done completely over so I guess that who I need to hear from.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
jucava

So by this you're saying you're paying to participate in this forum?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
jucava

I don't pay for participate in RCUNIVERSE and it's a pretty good place to get info, if you have valuable info that help someone solve a problem or answer a question post it for free and don't redirect him or her to other place.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
giddyuperic

Can someone tell me where the best place is to buy hard wear for sailboats is?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
01VIPER27

Eric,
I did answer you.If it fits in the fairlead it will work.You also already answered your question.I use a .5MM 15 lb kite line.
If you want the Kevlar get the 1.1MM but I recommend against it.It is overkill.Just use your existing fishing lines if you ask me.
You have had 2 people respond to your post.The OTHER PERSON GAVE A SMART ASS COMMENT, while I gave you more than what I got when I first started asking questions here.Hence, why I am at the other site as I don’t like being ridiculed because I bought a cheap ass Chinese boat which by the way is a great sailboat in the hands of a good pilot.
Lets get back to rigging and sheet lines;
#1 Hobby King does not support its boats
#2 Use lines that DOES NOT SOAK UP WATER
#3 15 to 30 lb lines is more than adequate to do the job.
#4 Sail your boat in light conditions only as that is what it was designed for
#5 You can use Thunder Tiger ETNZ parts.
#6 You can use Aquacraft Vela parts.
#7 Make your own hardware, I do.
#8 You will be ridiculed here for owning a Chinese boat.
#9 If you follow me you will be able to sail your boat in the harshest conditions
#10 you will be amongst other Phantom or Monsoon owners.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM
giddyuperic

Thank you very much I like the Kevlar I also like the fact that it comes in blue, I will get the 1.1MM but. I don't care if It is overkill. There are lots of things I plane to do to this boat and I don't care what any one says about where it came from almost every thing we buy and that is name brand stuff too comes from there. So thank you very much.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
boomer1

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

Can someone tell me where the best place is to buy hard wear for sailboats is?
There are quite a few good on line stores to buy some very nice RC sailboat hardware. One of the best I have found is also the manufacturer of the items they sell - sailsetc.com
You order via e-mail using Visa/MC - they ship quickly and know their products. I posted some of their catalog pages to show you some of their products.

Another place here in the US is: http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/Midwest is a distributor of the items he sells - I have purchased a number items from them with good success as well.

One more very complete dealer is https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/ Radio Controlled Model Racing Yachts and Sailboat fittings specialists -

Very nice people and ship worldwide.

Take a few minutes to visit these sites to get an idea of some of the very cool products that are out there.

Boomer

Name:	Hf98875.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1772018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76239.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1772019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92063.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1772020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96541.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1772021  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
giddyuperic

Thank you very much. So do you know if the line I would like to rig her with should be 1.1mm will that be okay? Thank you for your time
Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 AM
boomer1

Thank you very much. So do you know if the line I would like to rig her with should be 1.1mm will that be okay? Thank you for your time
I really haven't measured the diameter of the line I use. I go by the "test" as in 30 pound fishing line or 30 pound test. Whatever you select the line should not stretch - a good product is Spectra fishing line, for this very reason. The line has to be flexible enough to work with the "bowsies" your boat came with.

The line has to fit through the guides without binding and shouldn't be cotton as it absorbs water and is stretches quite a bit. I'll have to get my micrometer to find out what diameters I am using.

Name:	Rp43945.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1772030  
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
giddyuperic

That looks like nice line. Were can I get it? And can you please mic it so I know what pound test to get. Thank you very much for your time. Eric
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
boomer1

That looks like nice line. Were can I get it? And can you please mic it so I know what pound test to get. Thank you very much for your time. Eric

Most fishing tackle shops have it or you can do a search on line and there will be tons of places to get it. I think 30 lb test should be fine. I will measure some line Friday and let you know. Best thing is to find a fishing tackle shop in your area, go over there and see for your self what fits the holes the line has to go through.

Boomer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.