Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

25 and 50 microns polyester supplier

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

25 and 50 microns polyester supplier

Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 and 50 microns polyester supplier

Hi Guys:
happens that looking for more 50 microns polyester there is hard to find some supplier and reazonable prices, and there is no chance to get 25 microns polyester at all, cause each day its used less and less, so nobody order it for stock.

The obvious question: Do you know were to get 50 and 25 microns polyester by rolls, not by foot or yard as from RC sailboat shop???
Hope you can help

Tato Lazo.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM
s vernon

Default RE: 25 and 50 microns polyester supplier

http://www.dickblick.com/products/du...ix-wrap-rolls/

http://www.grafixplastics.com/mylar_duralar_g.asp?gclid=CPnxzJCg6psCFQq3sgod92Lb 4w

.002 inches thick is 50 micron and .001 is 25 micron

This is clear polyester with no reinforcement. Dick Blick says it is acetate, but Grafix Plastics, the manufacturer, knows that they are making polyester film.

I make EC-12 mainsails from .002 and butt the seams together rather than overlap them. 002 is a good weight for EC12 sails. I uses Monokote trim material to tape the seams together. 001 is too thin and I think too difficult to work with for my skill level. 003 is way too thick for model boat sails. 002 might be too thick for a small model boat. I scribble with "Crafty Dab" to put some white on the sails since I am not a fan of clear sails. I think overlapped 002 would make a seam that would have difficulty flopping over in light air. I am not so sure about an overlapped 001 thick seam, but hopefully there are lots of people using .001 inch/25 micron material with success on small model boats.

As you can see the stuff is really cheap compared with most anything else for us in the USA anyway.

The 002 that I use holds its curl for quite a while. I roll it backwards and leave for a time - a week or so maybe. If I time it right it will be pretty flat. If I leave it too long it will get a reverse curl and I have to roll it backwards again and leave it. When I think it is flat, I cut it into big panels that I can store flat.

I use the old GBMY fiberglass sailblock that is now unavailable to buy - i believe - to make my mains.

Scott
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 AM
tatolazo

Thanks Scott I will check the web sites.

By "clear" you mean completely transparent?? I guess so.
matte both sides will be the best..

The 25 Microns is for Rg 65 and Victoria Class and 50 microns for ! meter ULY ( Sudamerican ODOM) and for the first trial in IOM that is growing enormously here in Chile, Brazil and Argentina.

I have made this week 4 sets of sails for Victoria sail boats, Main with four pannels and jib with 3. They get a nice incorporated draft. At this momet I have to tape the main to the table and cut the luff acording to mast curve. The 0.001" is too thin so theluff in the main and jib needs to be reinforced with 10.. luff tape. Besides that, i think these sails will be great!! ( I don´t have a Nirvana, they are for friends up north in Santiago city)

I wonder if 25 microns will be suitable for IOM Nº1 JIB with reinforcement at the luff and rear edge.

Good winds.

Tato Lazo

Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 AM
larrykin

re Mylar Sails

At present I have 2 x one metre boats. A USOM Mistral and an MRP Voyager (I used to have 4 ). I found Mylar for sale here in Sydney pretty easily. From Draftex major Drafting Supply company. They were selling 35 micron and 50 micron. The guy in the shop knew exactly why I wanted the Mylar as no-one uses it for drafting. He said only RC Yacht sailors buy it. But NOT the 35 micron stuff. Too light. I guess would be OK on a small boat for an 'A' Rig.

I bought 4m of the 50 micron and have made sails for all my boats and still have plenty left. The Mylar is matte. Semi-transparent. It is also shiny on one side, matte on the other. You can only draw on one side.
For my panelled sails I just swap sides for alternate panels. That beats the problem of the Mylar curling. When sailing I have not had a problem with the curl. The wind takes care of that. Might be a worry with flat panel sails.
When making sails I overlap the panels by 12mm and use 12mm double sided tape. I find this is an advantage as the overlaps act like battens giving the sail extra rigidity. I also add normal battens.
Mylar is excellent for sails and the only thing is you can't have them coloured.
This is a pic of my latest sails on my USOM Mistral scratch build. Even has jib luff pocket for wire trace. Jib is 3 panel, main 4; as per USOM specifications