Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

2.4 Ghz For Boats

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

2.4 Ghz For Boats

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 Ghz For Boats

I would like to equip my new Thunder Tiger ENTZ with 2.4 Ghz radio gear. My biggest concern is burying the receiver in the hull where it would be approximately at the same level as the water's surface. Looks to me like this could seriously reduce acceptale range.

Has anyone used 2.4 it their boat(s)? if so, did you do anything special relative to receiver placement and/or antenna arrangement?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
k4s

Default RE: 2.4 Ghz For Boats

I've just converted to 2.4 in my IOM.I do nothing special,in fact I have just dropped the reciever into the pot alongside the batteries and screw the lid back on.So far I have had no control problems,even when sailing the boat out too a distance where it is hard to tell what tack its on.
The lack of an ariel sticking out of the transmitter really is good when racing in a crowd and when retrieving the boat at the dock.
K4s
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
frothingslosh

ORIGINAL: k4s

I've just converted to 2.4 in my IOM.I do nothing special,in fact I have just dropped the reciever into the pot alongside the batteries and screw the lid back on.So far I have had no control problems,even when sailing the boat out too a distance where it is hard to tell what tack its on.
The lack of an ariel sticking out of the transmitter really is good when racing in a crowd and when retrieving the boat at the dock.
K4s
k4s -

That's great news. I'm running Futaba gear. Will buy a full range 6 or 7 ch. receiver and go for it. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Morspeed

In both my ETNZ's I fixed my receivers onto and under the hatch with sticky back velco. Had a lot of problems keeping water out of the hull due to leaky hatch syndrome and doing this kept the expensive receivers out of any water.

This worked fine, but I did suffer from signal loss occasionally, think this was more a problem with the spectrum 2.4 radio.

Have since changed to futaba fasst 2.4...yet to run the boats with fasst but all reports were this was the way to go..hence the change.

Cheers
Gary
Old 08-11-2009, 11:35 PM
thorsail

Hey Frothing
I have a DX5e Spektrum I use in 2 different RC sailboats - and on both boats I have the space to glue a piece of plastic
drinking straw right up on the underside of the deck - the longer RX antenna lead just slips inside the straw and stays there quite
nicely . keeps the wire near deck level but the actual RX can be a bit lower in the hull on the servo board . All kinda depends on
the space and servo lead length and where you can put the RX . 2.4 is awesome for RC sailboats..........

Allan
Chicago
Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
frothingslosh

Some really good ideas here guys . . . thanks a million.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I use a Spektrum AR500 DSM2 receiver in my Nirvana sailboat (same one that comes with the DX5e TX/RX package). I ran the longer coax antenna outside the hull to be sure I got good range. If you get a receiver with a longer coax antenna, you can route that out of the hull just like the 27/75 MHz antennas, you just don't need as long of an antenna tube.

I've read that Futaba 2.4GHz systems don't do as well with boats. Maybe that's when using receivers with just just the short antennas. I'm not sure which Futaba RXs have longer coax antennas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82780.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1256007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96881.gif
Views:	14
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1256008  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
gpzy

Run 2.4 in all my sailboats my Footys , My Victor v32 and my ODOM never had any type of problem as far as range and losing signal.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM
-pkh-

Which transmitter and receivers are you using in your boats?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 AM
frothingslosh

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

Which transmitter and receivers are you using in your boats?

Xmitter: Futaba 10C
Receiver: Futaba 7 ch. - full range
Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
-pkh-

Thanks, but I was curious to see what gpzy was using in his boats. Sounds like he's got more experience with 2.4GHz in boats than either of us.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
k4s

Running Sektrum 6 with an A6000 short antennas reciever.
The only precaution I take is to make sure the antenna wires are angled at least 90 degrees from each other(usually more like 180 degrees)as this is supposed to give better reception.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
-pkh-

Yeah, Spektrum has new park flyer receivers coming out that are even smaller than the AR6000 and AR6100, and has the antennas mounted at 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees (see photo below).

The other thing to watch is that the antennas are above the waterline of the boat, so try to mount it as high in the hull as possible. The long coax antennas let you route up and out of the hull to really get it above the waterline.

Name:	Sp45541.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1258890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23846.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1258891  
Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Estanislao

New to RCand this forum. Building my first boat (Footy). I purchased the Spektrum DX5e. When I build my 2nd, 3rd boat, can I bind the transmitter to a 2nd, 3rd receiver to avoid having to swap? Would I then have to re-bind each time I switch boats, or can the transmitter bind to multiple receivers? The drinking straw antenna duct sounds like a good idea! Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
-pkh-

I believe with the DX5e, you can bind multiple receivers to it with no problem (i.e. you don't have to rebind when you switch to a different boat/RX). You may have to retrim or adjust the reverse settings for each model, though, depending on how you set them up.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM
k4s

ORIGINAL: Estanislao

New to RCand this forum. Building my first boat (Footy). I purchased the Spektrum DX5e. When I build my 2nd, 3rd boat, can I bind the transmitter to a 2nd, 3rd receiver to avoid having to swap? Would I then have to re-bind each time I switch boats, or can the transmitter bind to multiple receivers? The drinking straw antenna duct sounds like a good idea! Thanks.
I have been down this road with my spektrum and had 4 boats all running from the same tx.No problem swapping from boat to boat .I had them all set up the same.This was of course after having them all at different settings...oh well you live and learn.
Anyway,I now have all the boats,down to just 3 now ,on their own tx's.My reason for this was so that I could lend my boat<which ever I was not sailing>to someone else and be on the same piece of water at the same time.More boats on the water equals more fun>

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Estanislao

Thanks to both of you.

I e-mailed the Spektrum folks about their DX5e documentation covering aircraft only, suggesting that growing use for RC yachting might warrant some documentation pertinent to this use. Here's their response: "We do not recommend using that radio on water because the reflection of the water causes interference problems with 2.4 Spectrum." I know several that use this on water without problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 PM
thorsail

Hi Again
I was just looking over the DX5e "manual" - I don't see any reference that the TX will remember any multiple binding codes from
different RXs . The way I read it , you would have to rebind the TX to the RX used in different boats - thats why they sell the higher
priced models - THEY have memory to bind to multiple RXs. the simple DX5e do not . thats why they are $90.
Right now I race 2 different class sailboats - and I use the RX in both hulls , the way these are set up it's not any big deal to switch
out the RX , both have good access to the inside and all the wires are long enough to work with .
One easy tip is to set some standard for your self when attaching stuff - everything IN both my boats is loop ( or fuzzy) side of velcro
everything that GOES INTO ( RX , batt packs ) each boat has the the hook side of velcro on it - so it is all interchangeable.
The biggest problem I had was getting velcro onto the RX . nothing was working for me glue wise - so I finally just took a 5/8" wide
piece of velcro , cut it long enough to go around the RX , and just used a needle and thread and sewed the 2 ends together ! the
velcro fits between the pins slot and the antenna wires , wont slip off and holds OK . no real weight to it , even with servo wires on .
QUESTION - anybody else have the plastic connector that your lanyard connects to break ? mine did . now I have a small metal
eye bolt there instead . and I had a problem with the battery door staying in place - almost lost it one evening . so when I open it up
to fix the lanyard connector I set up a small diameter elastic cord ( like bungee ,but tiny) and a small picture hanging hook on the
bottom. the elastic stretches over the battery door and hooks on underneath . goofy , but it works..........

Allan

Name:	Rp42402.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1268260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18034.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1268261  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 AM
frothingslosh

Sailed the ETNZ with the Futaba F.A.S.S.T. 10-channel and futaba's 7 channel full range receiver. Taped the antennas to the inside of the radio compartment cover, and range is "out of sight".

Thanks for all the input guys.