Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

IOM Noux Shadows

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

IOM Noux Shadows

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 AM
k4s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IOM Noux Shadows

Yacht nut...youve taken completely the wrong meaning....Larry mentioned 400 dollar IOM's.....this 3 dogs is so obviously not one of those it is hard to tell if your being tongue in cheek or are really offended.If the later,very sorry to have been less than clear.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Yachty_nut

Much like the one that you have purchased, yes the resale value is great and yes the competetive one do sell for around NZ$1500NZ$3000, normally home built ones like what yourself and larry are doing still fall within that bracket but you need to keep in  mind the build quality, weight and ability to fine tune the boats. i first started out with a hull i brought for $50, and then learned from that. i then went on to purchase a hull for $90 of which was a Bill Dury design. i then did my own deck and purchased sail's, fittings, mast and electrics, i then kept learing how to set the boats up, set the sails and booms for the best results and now i have recieved a hand me down for NZ$0 from a builder here. this boat is extremely competitive, a professional sail maker has also given me a mailsail for NZ$0. so in reality you cannot price a good or a bad IOM because when you have built your Noux and the learn how to set everything up so your boat is competitive that is when the true value of the boat becomes apparent.

Hulls normally will sell for around NZ$90 to NZ$120. like you alot of the boats on Trademe are of different designs and in some cases not even IOMs and the really good ones normally turn up on private web sites

Anyway guys i'm a novice and if i can help with any build questions then i'm only to pleased to help. and K4s it's all cool.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM
larrykin

Yachty Nut - you've done it again!!!! Fantastic drawings!!!! Exactly what I needed.

I had just finished printing my deck shadows and was about to turn off my computer. Last minute impulse to look here. Lucky The recess solves so many problems and is a neat solution. My way I was going to have to have an extra station in frames for 20mm offset for bulkhead. Now stick with original plans. Did you do these drawings????

About the IOM on NZ ebay. This was back about six months ago. It was posted on RCGroups. Below are some pics of the boat. I was amazed at the price as I know the boat sold for less than I could buy the rigging.

K4s so prices for IOMs in NZ are same as here in OZ.

My build. Finished glassing hull outside and inside. When glass cures start sanding. Plus now I can start on deck.

Yachty Nut - thanks again. I owe you a beer

Larry L.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92937.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1299547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89685.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1299548  
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 PM
larrykin

Quick update,

finished deck frame drawings. Planked deck and layed fibreglass. Will have a deck mold ready for sanding soon. This is my first attempt at a deck mold. It is hard work. The deck planking is complex. And making sure it is possible to fibreglass is a real concern. I was well aware you can't glass a 90* recess as fibreglass will curve. I allowed for this in my planking.

Thanks to K4S and Yachty Nut I now have a neat recess for a mast ram. Thanks again guys.

Larry L.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84246.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1300758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75350.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1300759  
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Yachty_nut

Larry,
Just an idea! if you lay your fibreglass on your deck the resin it how about bagging the whole thing then the vacuum will pull your firbreglass tight into the sharp corners?
Mark
Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Yachty_nut

OH and i forgot,,,,,     Great work it is really taking shape, keep the pics coming, you never know i might be your first customer as i'm looking to build one soon but i'm undesided on what design to do.

here is a link on just about all the design's out there at the moment.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 AM
Yachty_nut

I would be interested in knowing what you guys think of this one.

you will need the latest Adobe reader 9.0

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx70468.pdf (214.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 AM
larrykin

Yachty Nut,

U are very clever. I posted already in Smoofty's.

Notice U have no mast ram. With a sloping cockpit bulkhead where does a mast ram go? Can U create 3D dwg from Noux cross-sections?

Re my Noux build - finished plugs for hull and deck. Layed glass today. Boat ready to pull tomorrow when glass cures.
Will post picks if all OK. So far looks great. Very smooth, which means very little sanding required.

I also discovered the original drawings (Anders Wallin) don't match; or Noux 1 and Noux 2 are different hulls. The keel box PDF dimensions don't fit with the layout drawings. And his profile depths don't match either. There is about a 10mm difference in space below deck for keel box to fit. I'm taking measurements directly from my hull. Lucky I delayed making the fin and keel box.

Also been researching fins and found a post by Claudio on making fins and rudders. Technical section in Nordic IOMs (I think). He says they use this technique and have a fin ready the same day.
Step 1. Cut shapes to size for fin - left & right sides. Step 2. Glue in spacer (thickness to make profile) to inside face and thin hard wood strips along edges. Can use carbon here or fibreglass. Glue in threaded rods top and bottom - for bulb and deck mount. 3. Glue edges together and clamp to create convex shape. 4. Fill void top and bottom with epoxy and when dry sand to finished profile. Done. Additional fibreglassing optional. Could just add coat epoxy resin to waterproof.

I'm going to give this a try for a fin with 2mm ply outside, 2mm thk aluminium full length as spacer and 4mm threaded rods epoxied into slots in aluminium top and bottom. For a rudder just use balsa as spacer slotted to take bent rudder post. At the moment I've been making my appendages solid. Claudio's method seems like an easy way to get natural shape without having to sand profile by eye. Will post results.

Larry L.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Yachty_nut

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models...-253730847.htm

A TS2 has become available for sail guys

Mark

Can you PM me your e-mail please

Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these that I'm just prepping for paint b4 selling it with an RMG winch, bantock fittings (2 complete sets) and Power Sails A (and home made b sails) set if anyone is keen to make an offer!

http://www.iom-nordic.org/index.php?...271&Itemid=168
Old 10-27-2021, 01:43 AM
DAO

Originally Posted by larrykin
Hi all,

I'm about to start building a Noux2 IOM. I'm going to make a plug to make several fibreglass hulls and decks. (Deck plans to come after first hull is pulled.)
I thought other boat builders might appreciate the shadows I've just drawn up. They are from Anders Wallin's Noux2 design. Note that these are for 2.5mm offset timber planking. And the "stem" piece fits between the nose and shadow ONE. You can download all of the free detail plans from the Anders Wallin site but the shadows are not there.

Cheers [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Larry L.
Thanks for posting the Noux shadows Larry but I am having a problem accessing or downloading any of the plans or details provided by Anders Wallin at his site. Is there a secret to getting these files? Same goes for the Noux shadows with different offsets. I have clicked that paperclip from every differeent angle and cannot get any meaningful result. Again what am i doing wrong?
Regrds Dave
Old 10-28-2021, 01:11 AM
DAO

Gawd struth here i am asking questions of a post 14 years old. I wonder why i didnt get an answer?
Obviously not a lot of interest in this forum.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:26 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Possibly, like me, they don't know the answer, so are keeping quiet. Time goes on, and both the internet and the bits at the ends change, some things that worked fine 10 or more years ago no longer work with todays OS's/apps/programs. Of course, some links to sites no longer work because the rent money for the site ran out. That is quite aside from any operator induced errors. A link to the item giving the problem and what is being used to view it might be helpful.