Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

New Radio Time

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

New Radio Time

Old 07-18-2003, 10:18 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio Time

I posted this question on rcsailing.net, but in case I attract flamers, I'll post it over here, too:

I've got around $150 to buy a new (gasp!) radio. I could really use 2 new radios, but......

What do you guys like? 3 channels minimum is about my only requirement. Multiple-model memory isn't necessarily a benefit, since if I do that, friends can't sail with me if I have multiple boats with me (the normal case) and they don't have one.

AM? FM? Single-conversion? Dual-conversion? How are single-conversion radios holding up in a regatta environment?

I'll stick any plug onto any servo, but I'm Futaba-centric, which (I think) rules out JR, right?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Dave Lilley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio Time

I am using the 75mhz version of the Hitec Laser 6.

It has some holdover functions from the aircraft version, such as mixing, but it also has end-point adjustments and dual rates.

6 Channel 72 mHz FM Transmitter
All Channel Servo reverse
Channel 1 and Channel 2 Dual rates
ATV's Channels 1 and 2
EPA on Channel 3
Channel 1 and 2 mixing function
Channels 2 and 4 mixing function
Trainer Capable
Includes Supreme 8 channel FM receiver, 2 HS-300 servos, 600 mAh 9.6 volt transmitter NiCad, wall charger, and switch.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/laser6_75.htm

I paid about $140 for mine, but I know that you can get the 4 channel version for about $125, and sometimes certain companies offer $15 and $25 discounts on purchases of $100, which helps for budget conscious people. (The down side is that the 4-channel version doesn't have EPA on channel 3, and I like this feature on my Laser 6 because I can control the throw of the sail-arm.)