RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   needs help on EC-12, Please !!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/1058091-needs-help-ec-12-please.html)

MATTT 08-15-2003 04:02 PM

needs help on EC-12, Please !!!!

Hello, every one.

I want to build an EC-12, Which supplier below makes a nice hull for EC-12?

Dumas Prouducts, INC.
Hartman Fiberglass R/C.
Skip Hickman
Robin Yachts
DB Yachts

How do I know which is the right sail for my boat ? What servos would I need for steering and sails ? Where do I order the hardware for my boat ? I have never build a sail boat before, and no ec-12 is forsale, so I have to start building my own. I am really good of building things but never an R/C sail boat. What radio/transmitter do I need for my boat.

Please help me by responding with a lot of info.

Thanks,

Mattt

ec12-1582 08-16-2003 01:15 PM

Hi Matt,

The most competitve hulls right now are DB and Robin. The Dumas Hulls are very heavy and not in favor. Hickman also makes a nice hull, but is only slightly heavier than a Robin or DB. I haven't come across a Hartman hull, so I can't give you any info. I currently sail a Robin Hull and have been happy with it.

I'm not positive, but Dave Brawner (DB) was only building hulls in the winter, and rumor has it he has stopped production except for people he knows. The last I heard he was concentrating on J's. There is now another commercial manufacturer just authorized this month, International Fiberglass out of Durham, NC. It has just been posted, so no idea of price or quality.

Monitor www.EC12.com for upcoming details.

As to sails, Rod Carr makes a nice set, and has very informative articles on his web sight on how to chose the proper JLA and materials for whatever your conditions may be. Danny Thomas makes highly regarded light air sails, and Windjammin is an increasingly popular choice. Another maker is Gordon Stout.

(All links can be found at www.AMYA.org in the suppliers listing)

As to servos, and radios, too many options to list here. The most popular winches are the Futaba 5801 and The RMG 280. As to transmitters, it depends on how many functions you wish to incorporate. If only sheeting and rudder, any 2 channel surface will work, if you add a twitcher and Jib trim your looking at a 4 channel minimum. I personnally use a Futaba 6yg. The rotary 6th channel is great for the jib trim. Some folks are using computer transmitters like the Futaba 6xa for more fine tuning of the trims.

If your going to build one your-self, I strongly suggest purchasing the EC-12 Manual by Bob Wells and Larry Robinson available at Ragged Symmetery Publishing.

Also be sure to refer to www.ec12.info,

Rick West has compiled a huge building site with step by step processes he uses to build his boats. It also provides numerous links, words of advice, photos of construction, along with an ordering spreadsheet I wrote to track both cost and items needed for assembly to his specifications.

Hope this helps get you started,

Chris
EC12-1582

justforplay 08-18-2003 04:36 PM

EC12

matt,i use hickman for the hulls if you havent built one,you might bite off more then you can chue. but your in luck iam a custom builder,i have 3 ec12s on the table now.can send you pics, give me a call252-447-2400 thanks Kem i can answer any question you my have?

MATTT 08-18-2003 05:28 PM

Chirs,

Thanks for a wealth of information. I accidently send you a private e-mail. Please disregard.

Justforplay,

My e-mail is [email protected].
Please send me pictures of both of your ec-12.
Does it come with a transmitter and what model ?
Let me know how much you want for it.
I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Please, let me know how much it would cost for shipping.

Thanks,

Mattt.

RobStagis 08-25-2003 04:15 PM

We have, in the club right now, 2 Dumas EC12's, 1 Ozmun, 3 Hickmans, and a couple other indeterminate hulls (which means I can't remember who made 'em).

The Dumas boats are very fast in light air, but heel over very quickly in a heavier breeze. My Ozmun is a good all-around boat, and I (personally) like the esthetic shape of the transom more than the others. The Hickmans are nice. We've bought 2 turn-key boats (roughly $1500) and 1 kit. Mr. Hickman makes beautiful wooden decks! Just for 'pretty', he painted the spars the same color as the hull and it's a very nice touch.

EC12's, while beautiful, are quite a large building and/or financial challenge for a first boat. I read somewhere that the EC12 is a "tweaker's delight" and I believe it. There are so many choices to be made when building that if you don't know what you'd like, you can get beat up pretty bad. Arm or drum winch? Wood or 'glas deck? Slotted or round mast? How many stays? What material for the stays? What type of rudder? and what type of rudder servo?

We have a friendly war going in the club between arm and drum winches. Nobody owns an RMG, but the others are Futaba S5801's and HiTec 725's. The HiTec is cheaper and stronger, but slower. Rudder servos run the gamut from my quarter-scale servo to standard Futaba S148's. Personally, I think anything lower than 60-70 oz/in of torque on an EC12 rudder is a bad thing. The rudders are big and unbalanced.

Check www.ec12.com for all the info and links you'll need. The advice to get the EC12 manuals is good - invest the $50 (I think) for the 2 books and see if you get scared off.