RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   Complete newbe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/11676630-complete-newbe.html)

dannyst 03-23-2020 05:28 AM

Complete newbe

Hi all,

I doing my first build of a racing sparrow model (075M).

I am looking for recommendations on radio receiver and transmitter, what servos, what rudder arm, brass tubing, etc..
Because of the current corona situation, i need to order everything online.

Recommendations, links, or pointing me to the right (up to date) thread would be great.
Thanks in advance
D.

mfr02 03-26-2020 01:27 AM

Most people prefer a stick transmitter for controlling a sailboat. Somehow seems more natural when controlling something that would have a tiller.
After trying several, I've settled on the HK-T4A as a simple, low cost, reliable outfit. Spare receivers sensibly priced (important when fitting a fleet), and continuous compatibility. While you only need 2 channels, 4 is the present day base line.
If you are going to use an arm servo for the sails, you will need a high torque one, and a very strong mount. My preference is one of the new-ish generation of small servo sized sailwinches. Simpler installation and the resultant pull is only in one direction
Any "standard" servo will work the rudder. Living in the UK, my go-to for a servo arm is to butcher one of the pins from a 13A mains plug. Nice, chunky brass and somebody else has done the difficult machining. And if its a dead plug, free. Not having any idea whereabouts you might be, I can't suggest local sources for you.

dannyst 03-26-2020 02:44 AM

Living in israel, not a lot of rc boats here or local hobby shops.
looks like i. need to order online from ali express or similar.

cheapsub 05-20-2020 01:51 AM

Did you got you radio system yet?
late again.

just a note, in 2.4GHz sticks radio, you can use it for boat, tank, airplane may be some cars.
even if your "local " hobby shop is a airplane or cars shop only. Some time they may take a trade in or up grade RTR "airplane " system, for boat you don't have to get the top off the line Futaba radio.
So you don't have to wait 30 plus days for something to show up at your door. Give them a call.
what about UK they are big in rc boat, may be some of them is open.
Hobbyking may have a EU warehouse open. Call them, or you may end up shipping from china.

And have the receiver mounted as high as you can in the hull. 2.4GHz Doesn't like to be under the water line. Add/stuff shipping bubble wrap inside the hull, your boat will not sink.
find out where rc airplane club meet or fly, some time they give away old stuff for free or 10 cents on the dollar. If you live in Brooklyn you can pick one up from me.:p

GLX 05-21-2020 11:34 AM

I use a range of Tx - have spektrum, futaba and flysky.
I find the flysky fx i6 or the x version are a really good option for beginners as it is cheap, it works their Rx have a good range and it is sufficient for boats, cars, plane, drones etc...
check ali express
get a pack transmitter and receiver. Flysky is known, you can get parts and other Rx if you want so it is a good choice

They work on 2.4Ghz like most radios now
I personally use a Mode 2 (left stick for the sails), right stick for the rudder - I'm right hand and it is the most popular choice for right hand but this is very much up to you btw Mode 1 (the opposite) or Mode 2

It may take few weeks to arrive but it will arrive
for the rudder servo a regular standard size servo will do like servo futaba s3003 - 4kg of torque for your usage will be fine.

For the batteries go lipo or life 2s so 7,4v (for lipo) or 6.6 (for life) and around 1300mah will be plenty.

Hope this helps