RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   I Finally Got One (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/873316-i-finally-got-one.html)

GRANT ED 06-18-2003 02:24 AM

I Finally Got One

It's finally happened. After flying model planes for a number of years I decided it was time to get a yacht. I ordered a Kyosho Seawind a while back and it arrived today! I'll keep u posted of the progress :D :D

Dave Lilley 06-18-2003 03:30 AM

I Finally Got One

Welcome to the ranks captain. :)

impulse 06-19-2003 09:34 PM

I Finally Got One

My dad has one of those. Sweet boat.

GRANT ED 06-30-2003 10:42 AM

I Finally Got One

Well i've started building and come across my first small problem. The hull requires painting and is made from ABS plastic. What do you guys use as a filler for plastic?

Trombe 06-30-2003 07:12 PM

I Finally Got One

What do you need filler for? I just give mine a nice coat of wax now and then

RobStagis 06-30-2003 09:33 PM

I Finally Got One

I sailed one of those a month ago - it's an absolute jet when everything's right. Filler? Isn't that what trim tape is made for? Just cover it up and soldier on!

ABS should respond to Squadron putties.....

GRANT ED 07-01-2003 10:20 AM

I Finally Got One

I need the filler (not much) to smooth out the area on the bottom of the hull after fitting the keel box.

RobStagis 07-01-2003 10:29 AM

I Finally Got One

The Squadron putty or an equivalent would be available at the LHS. It's easy to work with and gives a finer finish than I'm capable of achieving....... I used it to fair the blob on my Dumbass Star 45.

GRANT ED 08-06-2003 10:36 AM

I Finally Got One

:D It's finished :D Finally, haven't sailed it yet, hopefully that will happen this weekend. I haven't got any pics yet (I think its time I got a digital camera :rolleyes: ) but will let you know how it goes. After looking at mine a friend has gone out and ordered a seawind to. I'm impressed with the kit and its quality and looking forward to finding out how it sail's.

Trombe 08-06-2003 08:45 PM

I Finally Got One

Wellcome to world of no nitro, exsaust, expensive batteries and chargers, mean people, and all that stuff!!!

shaggy 08-07-2003 01:14 PM

I Finally Got One

I had a Seawind with the fiberglass hull and I loved that boat! It was so fast and just a really nice boat to sail.

Have fun!

Brooks

modelerbj 08-11-2003 08:12 AM

I Finally Got One

how much is your kyosho boat?

GRANT ED 08-11-2003 08:22 AM

I Finally Got One

Well on sunday I took the boat down for a test sail. When I got there it was about 7 knots, perfect for a first sail. In the time that it took for me to rig up the wind strength went to about 18 knots. Hmmm, bit much for a first try. So I packed up and went home oh well there is always next week.
P.S I paid $520 aus for the kit.

modelerbj 08-11-2003 12:00 PM

I Finally Got One

"$520 aus", how big is it?
You could buy a 1.4 meter one with US $50, in China. Your boat should be better quality (an exported product), but I still enjoy my boat.

I found my boat run pretty well in a light wind this sunday and can even drive teams of fish, in the pond, escape their ways out by a sudden approach.

GRANT ED 08-15-2003 08:50 AM

I Finally Got One

The seawind is 1 meter long and about 1.85 tall. $520 aus is very cheap for a boat of this caliber. My mate has a carbonfiber 1 meter which cost $1700 and my boat, I'm told is just as fast.

MATTT 08-15-2003 07:06 PM

I Finally Got One

what does a seawind looks like ? Does any one has a picture of it ?

Thanks,

Mattt.

GRANT ED 08-16-2003 05:14 AM

I Finally Got One

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this works

GRANT ED 09-06-2003 03:38 AM

I Finally Got One

I just got back from my first test sail. Had to delay it about three weeks due to bad weather but today was a good day so in it went. All in all I'm a very happy camper, the boat had no problems, stayed dry and was easy to control. I made a few changes to the rig which improved things. My mate which ordered one a while back picked his up last week and it looks like his will be ready for next weekend. Looking forward to some competition