RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Sailboats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/)
-   -   7' tall Sailboat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-sailboats-89/9210672-7-tall-sailboat.html)

tommyboythompson 10-28-2009 07:35 PM

7' tall Sailboat

This boat needs some TLC a friend of mine gave me this sailboat to store for him while he cleans house. I know it needs work and I would like to fix it up for him and make it a ship we can both be proud of. Being new to the unpowered nautical side of the RC world I have no clue wear to start looking for hardware for it.

I would like to strip the paint and possibly stain and seal the wood that lies beneath the cracked and chipped paint job. Curious if anyone has used a paint striping putty with any luck or perhaps could recommend a good way to rid this boat of it's paint.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ailboat010.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ailboat013.jpg

k4s 10-28-2009 08:37 PM

RE: 7' tall Sailboat

Probably not really helpful but..that is a loverly looking craft in its current livery.
If it was mine I would tidy up the existing paint,sand it back and repaint in a high gloss white with either red or black antifoul(not real antifoul but colour to represent it)
Paint suits its style in my opinion.Gives it that "real" look.

larrykin 10-28-2009 09:57 PM

I agree with k4s,

some very gentle sanding of the hull being careful of the gunwales and raised keel lip. That should remove cracks and chips. Repair damaged areas with filler. Then mask and aerosol spray in gloss enamel and clear finish. Retain waterline.

You could try sanding back down to reveal bare timber but.... danger! you could sand too much timber and create thin patches. Also timber beneth may look nasty. Is the wood teak or cedar? Might just be ply. In the real world, boats like this are normally painted.

She will look great with a minimal repaint :).

My 2 cents.

Larry L.

1967250s 11-01-2009 10:17 AM

I doubt that you would get a satisfactory result. The hull has probably already been filled/puttied/ stained. From the look of it, it's afairly
old build, and it would probably devalue the worth, also. Why, exactly do you want to repaint? Are you planning on selling it? Are you going to convert to RC? Or just display? I think it looks just lovely the way it is.
There are a few makers of brass hardware that you could add. Go to AMYA.org, then to the vintage club site, they can direct you to Robert Cousineau's site. You have to know what you are doing when you modify something this nicely made. There are also a few others, I'll try to get them up later, but you will be changing the look of it, and as any antique fan will tell you, when you change the originality, you lose authenticity and value. I have another thread here, called beautiful boats, where there are some really old boats and you can compare the looks of the hardware, paint, etc. Keep us posted, please!

tommyboythompson 11-01-2009 08:10 PM

Started to sand the cracks smooth still need to fill in some places before repainting. Also have plans to relocate the electronics to put them out of view when all the hatches are in place.

tommyboythompson 11-06-2009 06:02 PM

WOW hoping for a bit more useful info.

Thanks K4s think I will just touch the blemishes fill the cracks and sand smooth for new paint.

1967250s constructive criticism[:'(] well a smooth repainted finish will be much more satisfying:D to me the the current state of the sailboat.

With that said anyone tell me what paint would be the best to use on this project it is RC and will spend time in the water.[sm=drowning.gif]

k4s 11-07-2009 10:33 AM

Probably un nessercary to go all out and use dedicated marine paint.Although if cost is not a problem this is what I would use.Epiglass is a good brand down here in NZ.
Having said the above a two pot paint on a model that will spend probably more time inside than out is a bit of overkill.
Any quality brand paint with exterior use will be ok.

CLage 10-28-2021 02:58 PM

Great

mfr02 10-29-2021 01:22 AM

The general rule in the old days was that you could overpaint cellulose (as used on cars) with enamel (oil base exterior paint)), but not the other way round. Back then those were the choices if it was getting wet. Given its age, one or other of those is the likely finish.
If in doubt and not going back to bare wood and whatever else is under there, oil base enamel is the safe bet. Spray or brush is your choice and depends on your preferences. Good brush enamel applied with a good brush can give very good results, but either way, preparation is king.
I have used paint stripping gel on plastic and fibreglass items with good results. Since it was got from a general hardware store decorating department, it should be both effective and harmless on wood. What effect it might have on old glue on a model is anybody's guess, and depends on the glue involved.

AEK42 11-14-2021 07:58 PM

It looks like the sails are junk, homemade, without regard to proper sail shape. I would replace those, and the mast seems too short, also. The hull looks great. Carr Sails would help you.

mfr02 11-15-2021 01:19 AM

For the hull form, the mast height is fine. Yes there is vast room for improvement with the sails. Apart from the strange add-on at the bottom of the main, I suspect that the warp and weft of the cloth are in the wrong direction. This does make a huge difference to how the sails perform and last.
I all probability, a IOM "A" rig would fit and work well, but would need a masthead crane to have the backstay clear the main. And a boom-footed fore would probably work better than the loose footed arrangement presently fitted. Professional sailmakers are worth it.

JS440 11-15-2021 05:56 PM

Guys, this thread is 12 years old. I don't think he's still looking for advice.

mfr02 11-16-2021 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by JS440 (Post 12702818)
Guys, this thread is 12 years old. I don't think he's still looking for advice.

So it is. I wonder if he got it sorted. Pity he never came back on it.

Hydro Junkie 11-16-2021 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mfr02 (Post 12702853)
So it is. I wonder if he got it sorted. Pity he never came back on it.

As you know, more often than not, if the person doesn't get the answers they want, they DON'T come back