Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Bondo filler on cowlings >

Bondo filler on cowlings

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Bondo filler on cowlings

Old 08-01-2003, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondo filler on cowlings

I'm using Bondo to fill seams on cowlings, but need to know the exact formula for mixing in the hardner. The instructions say mix the tube with the full can, but I never need that much and have been putting in a "dab" in with varying results.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 PM
My Feedback: (4)

In an amount of filler equal to the size of a golf ball, add an amount of hardner about the size of a pencil eraser and a half.
Filler is not as sensitive to the exact mixture ratio of hardner to filler as is epoxy. You just want to get sort of close.
That should turn the filler into a light pastel color (of whatever color of hardner you're using; usually red or blue).

Then work fast as you can. As soon as it starts turning "cheezy", you're done. Don't try to work it after that until it's cured.

HIghflight
Old 08-06-2003, 01:13 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Default Another option

I've used the Bondo spot (glazing) putty to fill seams on plastic and glass cowls for years and with good success. It comes in a tube and there is no mixing but you do have to use it in thin layers. It sands very easily and a lot of times I wet-sand using 300 grit and higher under running water. If you are not careful, you can sand too much off, so additional thin coats are required. It does provide a smooth finish and blends well with surrounding areas.

This is kind of a reddish-brown paste with thinner of some sort, so be advised - it does have an odor! Also, you will want to primer over this before you paint because it can show through even dark paint. However, if you need to build surfaces up or add bumps or surface details, use the Bondo two-part and work it into rough shape before it begins to harden. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you given evercoat 416 a try? I have been using this stuff for years and love it over bondo. It sands easier and does not require anything if you want to paint over it. Most jet guys use it and have left bondo years ago. What we found out was over time the bondo would let go and come unglued. You would have to wick thin ca on it after you were done to ensure it would stay adheared to the surface over time. Evercoat doesn't require it at all.

John Redman
Team BVM, Jet Cat USA
Old 08-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone. I will followup on both the premixed tube of Bondo and the overcoat 416. I usually prime everything before painting so no problem there.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:22 AM

I just did the rust spots on my car with evercoat. The whole time I was doing I wondered, "this stuff is great, could I use this on an airplane?". The guy at the auto-body store told me if I had a flat puddle of body filler about the size of a baseball, to run a thin line of harder acrossed the equator. That seemed to be too much harder though...didn't give me enough time to work with. I found that running a line about half way acrossed worked best for me. It seemed that the amount of hardener I used only affected the time it took to harden the body filler, and not the final durability. I'm probably wrong though.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:32 AM

Default bondo

Bondo brand bondo has or at least had a colored plastic mixer that was the color of what the final mixture should be. i always found that very helpfull. The response from earlier response is right; exact proportions with bondo not as crucial as with epoxy. you just might get a 'soft' fill if not enough hardener used but it still sands though .