Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird? >

What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird?

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird?

My son will be entering the Corvin Miller event in Sarasota this weekend. He will be flying a Top Flite Giant P-51 and possibly a giant Top Flite P-47. There are 4 basic manouvers, takeoff, landing, fast flyby and slow flyby, but what other maneuvers are considered appropriate to the judges?
I know a loop, a roll will work too, but any others?
Thanks, Denny
Old 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Default RE: What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird?

There are a total of 10 manuevers. 5 of which are mandatory and everyone does them.

They are:

Takeoff
Fly Past (analagous to your fast fly by)
Figure 8 (two circles side by side w/ crossover in the center)
Landing
Flight Realism (Impression score - you don't do a specific maneuver)

Optional maneuvers- There are lots to choose from.

Loop, Military Roll, Slow Roll, Touch and Go (actually counts as the Touch and as the Go- counts as two maneuvers), overshoot, split s, half cuban 8, bomb run with drop, traffic pattern, inverted flight, descending 360, slow/dirty fly with gear/flaps extended. There are more.

You can see usscalemasters.org for the masters rule book which outlines these and more maneuvers. The AMA competition guide available on line is also helpful with these maneuver descriptions.

Have Fun!

Jeff Lovitt
Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Default RE: What maneuvers should be flown at Corvin Miller this weekend for scale WW2 warbird?

Thanks Jeff, we have tomorrow to practice the ones we decide on, and come up with a sequence. It will be my first time as "caller" for my son who is doing the flying. Any advice for me or him? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Denny
Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Advice...

For the caller You are not only calling the maneuvers but you are watching out for the other traffic and helping to make sure that your pilot will have the airspace to do the maneuver that is coming up without running into another plane. You also need to make sure to call each maneuver and not miss one. Doing so has disastrous effects on a flight score! The amount of coaching that the pilot desires/needs will vary on the pilot. Do help with special reminders that are specific to the plane. Landing gear up/down; flaps up, flaps down, flaps full etc. Remind about setting throttle trim in needed when preparing for landing.

For the pilot Have fun and don't forget to breathe! You should be doing maneuvers you have done before, so you are just trying to do them smoothly and precisely for judges now. The flying routines that do the best usually follow some sort of mission or theme. Keep the routine flowing from one maneuver to the next on successive passes. Avoid wasting time trimming or setting up. Do things the real plane could have done. Generally, back off the throttle a little to get to a scale like speed.

Above all post your experience. Everybody starts somewhere and some are sitting on the fence wanting to try it out but are just not sure what to do. Let us know how it went.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Well, it was quite a weekend. I took the day off the Friday before the meet so we could get in some practice. Sean hadnt flown the Mustang in a couple months and the P-47 only had a half dozen flights on it in the last year or so, none of them in the last 2 months. Preparation was not our strength for sure. We decided to drive down to Sarasota and do our practice friday and I am so glad we did. We only got in one flight on each of the planes, the Giant Scale P-51 was to be primary for fun scale with the P-47 as a spare. After we flew and thought about the maneuvers that we needed to do, we decided that the P-47 would be best because we could use the bomb drop feature as one of the maneuvers. We had only had one sucessful release prior to the practice flight. I had added a spring to the top oif the external tank to push it away from the rack and that worked great. We then realized that we could enter two planes and wanted to enter two in fun scale but were told that they had to be in different categories. We decided to enter the P-51 in fun scale and the P-47 in team scale. The P-47 was never built wit competition in mind, so I knew we wouldnt do well but that it would be a good experience to help prepare us for Top Gun. While at Sarasota on Friday the guys we spoke to, inckluding Vince, we a great help in helping us learn maneuvers to use. We came back to Tampa Friday afternoon. Saturday morning we left around 5:30AM and arrived and prepared our planes. The static judging was brutal as it should be. I think we got around a 77 score, actually better than I expected. I listened to the judges as they discussed our entry and others to learn what we could. When it came to flying, I am so glad we practiced at that field, it made a huge difference in the direction we were facing, the boundries, the wind direction and the landscape references. Sean did a great job of flying, I have to say I felt he did a fantastic job of executing his manouvers. He did his first Cuban 8 during the event and scored well each time. I was quite impressed at how smooth he was. On Sunday, the last flight with the P-47, the engine quit just as he was about to pull it off the ground. We decided we would rather bring the plane home intact thatn a trophy, so we took a zero for that flight. I think if he had completed the flight even close to his earlier flights, we would have gotten second place. All in all, it was a great amount of fun, we got to talk to a lot of really good people, got to see some awesome planes and saw some first rate flying. Thanks to all who volunteered for the event and thanks to all the words of advice and encouragement. Most of all, thanks to my wife Sherrie for not insisting that I fix all the things that have broken in the last few weeks before the event. Now its payback time.....
Denny
Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cool, I entered my first scale contest 3 years ago its alot of fun, learn something new everytime I go