Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

first scale airplane kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

first scale airplane kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Gunnar15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first scale airplane kit?

Iv been wondering what a good first kit would be, i have been flying for 7 years, but my dad has pretty much built my trainer and my astro hog for me, the rest of the airplanes iv had/have are ARF's. So iv decided its time to learn how to build. But im not sure what good first kit would be...it would be nice if it was scale as well, so does anyone have any suggestions? im looking into either an electric or a small glow plane with a wingspan thats under 70(ish)inchs.

Gunnar
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 PM
davidgeorge212

Default RE: first scale airplane kit?

j3 Cubs are good for getting into scale building. One of my first or second builds was the sig 1/5 scale which has an 84" wingspan. The sig anniversary edition is by far, in my opinion, the most scale best quailty kit for a cub I have ever seen but it is a little bigger than the size you are talking about.

I know a lot of people on here talk about the carl goldberg .40 cub as being another fantastic kit build as well as flyer.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first question is what kind of planes do you like?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Gunnar15

haha i like all of them. anything from world war one through the the modern era really as far as time periods go. im looking for a kit that has a really well written and well diagramed instructions and clear plans, pretty much somthing that will teach me some skills as a new builder.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Gunnar15

Sweet ill look into the cubs thanks is there a cessna or a WACO thats a good kit?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:51 PM
abufletcher

You can't go wrong with the SIG 1/5 scale Cub kit. Cubs are also great for learning how to really fly (no matter what you've flown before coming to a Cub). If you're looking for something dead easy with solid instructions, it's hard to beat one of the BUSA 1/6 scale kits, for example, their Sopwith Pup. (And don't let yourself we "seduced" by the eindecker, which is really just an Ugly Stik in WWI-clothing.)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to learn how to build and gain alot of experience go with a Sig 1/6 or 1/4 scale Cub. They are old school kits(Craftsman Kits) that require alot of cutting, carving, glueing and sanding by the builder to complete. You will learn alot from these kits and you are rewarded with a great looking and flying model when you are finished. A good step before taking on any kind of a Warbird build.
It will take several months and over 300hrs to complete these kits if done properly. The 1/6 needs a .30 size 4 stroke and the 1/4 needs a 120 4-stroke. If you want something bigger AMR makes a really nice 33% J-3 that is a mix of stick construction with modern laser cutting for the cabin and flying surfaces. Builds into a really great looking and flying plane and flies great on a 50cc engine.

Good Luck!
Anthony
Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 AM
abufletcher

WacoNut's right about the 1/6 and 1/4 Sig kits. These are both traditional "stick-built" kits, which will introduce you to the same kind of building your father did as a kid. SIG's 1/5 scale Cub kit is a step into the 21st century with a CAD design of laser-cut interlocking parts. This can be either a plus or a minus, depending on your preferences.

Any scale kit worth building will take at least a couple of months, so the important thing is to pick something that really appeals to you. And whatever you pick, welcome to the World of Building. You will be joining a very select community.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gunnar15

haha i like all of them. anything from world war one through the the modern era really as far as time periods go. im looking for a kit that has a really well written and well diagramed instructions and clear plans, pretty much somthing that will teach me some skills as a new builder.

For a new builder, maybe a Goldberg or Great Planes Cub would be the way to go. Both have excellent, well illustrated instructions, that allow a fledgling builder to achieve success.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

If you have bever built anything before, then I suggest a diferent route. Although the Cub suggestions are all good, Even a Cub can be frustrating in spots, if you have zero experience. I would suggest a simple sport model,like the 4- star, or any of the stick kits to get your feet wet with looking at plans, reading and interprting instructions, gluing, sanding and on and on. just my 2 cents worth.

steve
Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 AM
buzzard bait

All good comments. If you want to go with something smaller, with two wings, the AerodromeRC kits look like simple builds. You can find lots of threads for these over on RC Groups.

http://www.aerodromerc.com/

If it's WACOs you want, look here... http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/peter_rake.html

Much like the Aerodrome kits, I think.

I'm excited every time we get a new builder in our club. Anyone can show up with a new ARF, but bringing something you built is special and unique. Glad you're joining us.

Jim
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Red B.

Stay away from the 1/6 scale SIG Cub. It is a very good flier, but requires quite good building skills. The 1/5 Cub is much better in that respect.

When building your first kit it is important that it can be finished in a reasonable amount of time, while still providing good opportunities for developing building skills required for scale subjects. With that in mind I would recommend a SIG Somethin' Extra. It is an excellent kit that has some challenges for the novice builder such as sheeting the wing centre section and leading edge. It is also an excellent flier.

Even a simple scale subject such a Spacewalker or Cub takes significantly more time, effort and building skills to finish.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"When building your first kit it is important that it can be finished in a reasonable amount of time,"

Excellent advice, Red B. One can loose interest very quickly, if things take too long. Just go to a swap meet and look at all of the partially built offerings.

Les
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 AM
abufletcher

Why don't you and your Dad build something together? That's the perfect way to learn.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Gunnar15

Well I have done a little building, built the wings and the back half of the fuse for an aerodrome rc fokker d7, But i had dad right there helping me, which dont get me wrong isnt a bad thing at all, I just want to do something by myself you know what i mean?
The WACOS look nice, but look a little advanced now that im looking at them...maybe after a kit or two
I'm leaning towards the CAD interlocking parts for simplicetiy, i would love to do one of the sig kits thats the old school style of building but i think id rather do that after building somthing that wont take as long as Red B. mentioned with the loseing interest...
the Sig Somethin' Extra looks good I used to have the phonix models extra 330 ARF and my dad used to have a extra 300

Thank you everyone for your quick reply's!

Gunnar
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: Gunnar15

Well I have done a little building, built the wings and the back half of the fuse for an aerodrome rc fokker d7, But i had dad right there helping me, which dont get me wrong isnt a bad thing at all, I just want to do something by myself you know what i mean?
The WACOS look nice, but look a little advanced now that im looking at them...maybe after a kit or two
I'm leaning towards the CAD interlocking parts for simplicetiy, i would love to do one of the sig kits thats the old school style of building but i think id rather do that after building somthing that wont take as long as Red B. mentioned with the loseing interest...
the Sig Somethin' Extra looks good I used to have the phonix models extra 330 ARF and my dad used to have a extra 300

Thank you everyone for your quick reply's!

Gunnar

I built the SSE and it is another great kit from sig. It is again all laser cut out which makes it simple and quick(er) to put to gether but it is still a lot of fun to build. I sort of experienced the same thing as you when I was in high school when I entered into the hobby. I grew up around dads woodworking tools because he use to build and fly airplanes as well. When i started building model airplanes he always wanted to jump in and "help" me out but usually ended up taking over and doing the majority of the work. Now Im in college and I get joy of building all of my planes from start to finish. I still have the benifit of gaining his knolledge about building, only now it is over a cell phone instead of him doing the work instead.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Red B.

The Sig SSE is an excellent choice that you won't regret. It is a pleasure to build and flies really well. I have built a couple of them.
The latest one I built can be seen here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10040553]Sig SSE[/link]
Old 12-29-2010, 04:11 PM
abufletcher

Here's a build thread showing construction of the SIG 1/5 scale Cub. I'm very "old fashion" when it comes to building and kits, but every time I see one of these I want to order one!

http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46881
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hey Kid, Ya wanna build sometin ?

BEGINNER'S MODEL BUILDING INFORMATION

EXTRA ITEMS NEEDED TO BUILD MOST KITS & WISH LIST FOR THE FUTURE

TO GET YOU STARTED

BUILDING BOARD (CEILING TILE 2'X4') *
SARAN WRAP OR WAXED PAPER
MASKINGTAPE
PINS (STRAIGHT SILK PINS OR "T" PINS)
PLASTIC TRIANGLE
CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVES - HOT STUFF - JET – ETC
CLAMPS - PAPER BINDER , CLOTHES PINS
X-ACTO KNIFES & #11 BLADES
RAZOR SAW OR HACKSAW BLADE
SCREWDRIVERS
PLIERS - LARGE AND SMALL
WIRE CUTTERS
DRILL & ASSORTED BITS 1/16" TO 1/4"
SANDPAPER #80, 150, 220, 320 & 400
SANDING BLOCKS - LARGE ASSORTMENT
GLUE - ELMERS CARPENTER, TITEBOND
EPOXY - 5 MIN., 15 MIN. & 30 MIN. TYPES
SOLDER IRON OR GUN - SOLDER & PASTE
STEEL RULE 36" (STRAIGHTEDGE FOR FILM) **
1' X 3' Piece of heavy Glass Shelving **
SMALL HOUSEHOLD IRON
RAZOR BLADES - SINGLE EDGE
WHEELS (3) & WHEEL COLLARS
NYLON CLEVISES & THREADED PUSH RODS
FUEL TANK & FUEL TUBING
SMALL #2x3/8 SHEET METAL SCREWS (SERVO MOUNTING)
FOAM RUBBER - RECEIVER & BATTERY PROTECTION
A FLIGHT BOX FOR THE R/C FIELD
# 64 RUBBER BANDS (1/4 LB BOX)
AIRCRAFT HOLDING STOOGE, OR A FLYING BUDDY
HAND CRANK OR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP
WING CUSHION TAPE – FOAM
HEAT SHRINK COVERING MATERIAL - MONOKOTE, COVERITE, ETC.
ELECTRIC STARTER

YOU WILL SOON WANT
ELECTRIC DRILL
ELECTRIC JIG SAW
EXTRA BALSA
ANOTHER KIT TO BUILD
HINGE SLOT CUTTER
FIBERGLASS & RESIN
CLEAR SILICONE RUBBER
HEAT SHRINK IRON
HEAT GUN
ASSORTED WOOD GOUGES
TAP HANDLE & TAPS- 4X40 & 6X32
RAZOR PLANE
ALLEN WRENCHES - SMALL SET
SMALL BENCH MOUNTED VICE
A LARGER BUILDING AREA
MORE FLORESCENT SHOP LIGHTS
A MINI VAN FOR CARYING AIRCRAFT
AIR CONDITIONED / HEATED SHOP
MORE FREE TIME AT THE R/C FIELD

* A PIECE OF CEILING TILE 2' X 4' PLACED ON A FIRM FLAT SURFACE MAKES A GOOD BUILDING BOARD.

** PLATE GLASS AND STEEL RULE IS USED FOR CUTTING STRAIGHT EDGES IN MONOKOTE.

BUILDING TABLE - A HOLLOW CORE INTERIOR DOOR COVERED WITH . INSULATION BOARD OR TWO (2) PIECES OF 2’ X 4’ CEILING TILE) AND SET ON TWO SAW HORSES MAKES AN EXCELLENT WORK BENCH. INSULATION BOARD IS A SOFT 1/2" THICK BUILDING MATERIAL COMES IN 4'X 8' SHEETS THAT YOU CAN EASILY PUSH PINS INTO WHEN BUILDING.

KEN KEHLET AMA 1528
Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM
abufletcher

Eventually, serious builders end up with most of those things. But initially you can get by with just a few basic tools. For me, the X-acto knife and Dremel tool (with carbon cut off disks and sanding drums) are the most used tools in the shop.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:28 AM
TomCrump

I've been building for 20 years. There's stuff on that list that I don't have. LOL
Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Why don't you and your Dad build something together? That's the perfect way to learn."

I helped my son build his Long EZ. Mostly foam and fiberglass. I didn't learn anything. I already knew how to build surfboards:-)))))))))))))

Les
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

'I've been building for 20 years. There's stuff on that list that I don't have. LOL "

Then you arent't REALLY a builder, Abu. I don't see any metric drill set, and any set up to only 1/4 inch is only half a drill set; looks like a good beginning list:-))))))

Of course my tool slection just may be biased by the fact that I was into model building, then woodworking (furniture), kitchen cabinets, etc.,; then back to model building

Les
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 AM
abufletcher

I did my first RC build with about the same tools as I used on Guillow's kits as a kid. But I learned very quickly that a bit of "electric muscle" (i.e. power tools) can really take the pain and drudgery out of modeling. And really for most simple kits (like those being discussed here) you don't need much. A trip to the $1 store will probably get you most of what you need in terms of basic tools.

As I move more and more into serious scratch-building and scale detailing, the drill press is seeming more and more indispensable. So far the scroll saw and band saws are just luxuries, but I can't think of anything I've used them for that I couldn't have somehow managed with just the dremel (and a lot of effort).
Old 12-31-2010, 04:54 AM
TomCrump

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

'I've been building for 20 years. There's stuff on that list that I don't have. LOL ''

Then you arent't REALLY a builder, Abu. I don't see any metric drill set, and any set up to only 1/4 inch is only half a drill set; looks like a good beginning list:-))))))

Of course my tool slection just may be biased by the fact that I was into model building, then woodworking (furniture), kitchen cabinets, etc.,; then back to model building

Les

Abu didn't make that post. I did.

I find all inclusive lists, like the one posted above, to be helpful, but not the all inclusive truth. Shop tools can be purchased as needed. The direction of one's building leads them to the tools that they posses/purchase.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46515.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1540256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27492.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1540257  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.