Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
kyosho 1/5 gee bee help >

kyosho 1/5 gee bee help

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

kyosho 1/5 gee bee help

Old 08-15-2003, 05:46 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho 1/5 gee bee help

I just bought a used kyosho 1/5 gee bee z (the one with the fiberglass fuse) and was wondering where to balance it,and what to expect when I get up the nerve to fly this beautiful plane.Im putting a TT pro .46 in it.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2003, 01:15 PM

Hi 76;

I can't help you with the Kyosho in particular, but I just finished scratch-building a 48" span GeeBeeZ from Page plans. On mine, the CG is perfect at 2.5" from LE on an 8.5" long wing (that would be 29%. Balance carefully - The plane is touchy in this area, and too far forward is better than too far back.

I have four flights in on mine now! Whoohoo!

I've found that on taking off, all the general rules apply (align the landing gear correctly, ease up the throttle, and make gentle corrections with the rudder), and I've also found it helpful to keep the elevator up until I get the speed close to taking off - that keeps my tailwheel down on the pavement and tracking straight. Without up elevator, my plane was ground looping pretty early. Also, mine doesn't seem to tolerate a takeoff from anything but smooth pavement. All I managed to do on grass was noseover.

Landings are another matter - so far, I'm three for four on my back, one on my nose :^) The on-my-back landings were deadstick on the grass, so no big surprise. I managed to keep it from going all the way over on the pavement (but I bounced it pretty bad - I'm using Durbro Light wheels). I have been told you pretty much need to fly it hot onto the deck, or three-point it. I can't be sure, since I haven't had what I call a real successful landing yet...

In the air, I think you'll love it. Take-off and landing aside, the flights on this plane have been an ear-to-ear grin!

Dan.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Take a look at this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...kyosho+gee+bee

The gentleman in the previous post says that his has a 48" span, but Page's GBZ is almost exactly the same size and weight as the Kyosho. On the second page of the thread, Page recommends the CG at 2.5" instead of 2.75" where the manufacturer recommends. Check it out.

If you need the numbers from the manufacturer, go to Tower Hobbies.com and find it there. There is a technical note attached to the Kyosho Gee Bee Z product page that lists all of the manufacturer's recommendations.

I'm going to start assembling mine next week, and I think I will go with Page's numbers. He seems well versed in these unique planes, and well informed.

Dann
Old 08-18-2003, 05:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks forthe help, ill try 2.5 and see what happens
I also have a 1/5 Page kit started bu that will probably take a while.