Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Making Hatches

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Making Hatches

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 AM
bfair67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Hatches

Ive made fus hatches for planes made of balsa and then coved with fiberglass cloth. Does anybody have any suggestions the best way to do hatches in fiberglass fus. like the Yellow Aircraft AT-6. These hatch lines are already molded into the fus.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Making Hatches

I've heard of modelers creating scale hatches out of aluminum tape and applying them before doing the priming.

OPPS, SORRY. You probably meant functional access hatches.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

I thought I might have some pictures of this on my computer here but will have to check when I get home to show what the result looked like when I did this on my KI 61 Tony with fiberglass fuselage.

Process: Locate Door either with molded panel lines or by drawing full size on the fuselage. Decide on the method of hinging. If you are using an offset style hinge, it is sometimes helpful to install the hinge first on the inside of the fuselage. I chose to use a length of brass piano hinge set flush with the door. Cut out the door. Make sure to get the outline of the door exactly the way you want it. You can cut out the door with a zona saw or dremel grinding wheel. Try not to take too much material off, but make sure to make your overcut into the fuselage portion, not the hatch. Now that that hatch is out and sanded to the exact final shape you want, make a lip that will be glued to the inside of the fuselage all the way around the opening. This would be 1/32nd ply, g10 etc. The lip only needs to stick into your hatch opening less than 1/8" or so. With this complete, notch out your door to recieve your piano hinge and glue or screw the hinge to the door. Now you should be able to set your door in the opening and glue or screw the hinge to the fuselage.

Ok so now you have your door in the opening, but the gaps look horrible! Now you will need to tape the edges of the door to create a slight space and to help create a mold release for the next step. Wax the taped edges of the door. Using evercoat or other body filler, fill in the fuselage up against the hatch. Sand edges lightly to allow the door to release/open. Remove tape. If you want the door to sit absolutely flush to the fuse, sand the door/fuse with 220 and prime. IF you want the door slightly proud of the fuselage, you can do the sanding very carefully with the door off. Be careful not to round off the edges of the fuselage.

I'll upload some photos later to show my finished result. Retain hatch with magnet.

Jeff Lovitt
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked for me on a 'glass C47 fuse. First I shaped a thin aluminum strip to match the fuselage contours, then taped it next to the panel line as a guide. Then I carefully made several cuts (not one heavy cut) with a sharp #11 blade until I cut through the fiberglass. Repeat the process until you have cut out a hatch. It takes patience and a steady hand, but if you are accurate, the #11 blade won't remove much material, which means the hatch will fit very well.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 AM
bfair67

Thanks Jeff sounds good.