Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Back when model airplanes were cool...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Back when model airplanes were cool...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:09 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Back when model airplanes were cool...

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher
Wow,you crashed your plane in an idyllic site, are you fetching it?
Actually, here's what's on the edge of my flying field. Strangely, I almost look forward to tromping off into the forests when a model goes down.

As for nostalgia, well, I'm not sure I exactly "miss the old day" but those old days undoubtedly form who we are today. I bought my boys lots of plastic model kits when they were small, but the idea of "building your own toys" never really took hold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66976.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	1704460  
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone out there. All this control line flight memories remind me of happier times. I had just arrived from a war torn
europe, I never envisioned toy airplanes that I could astually fly.
One day, while exploring our new home; Edmonton in Alberta, we drove by a Dominion store parking lot, where a bunch of guys were flying control line. We stopped and
spectated while my Mom tracked down groceries. It would have been 1961. I would have been12 years old.

It was all control line, and one fellow brought out a big Lancaster and flew it. It had a big Fox engine on it. I was amazed at all of this, and I guess I got the bug.

I now have many r/c planes in my garage, over 40, some free flight, some giant scale, it seems that scale flight is taking a rest lately, and this thread brings on
pleasant memories.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 PM
rcphotog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quikturn

I got started in control line back in the 70's. The one I remember most is the ''Sweet Cindy'' .049 Cox P-51. I also had some .049 balsa profile planes with linked aileron/elevator control. Later, in high school I had my first Cox 2 channel foam Skylane that I learned rc on.

Those were good times indeed.

I still fly rc today. I enjoy building too. I'm also fortunate enough to fly a corporate jet (Hawker 800XP) full time and some King Airs and Citation jets on a contract basis. If it wasn't for model aviation I don't think I would have ever made a career in aviation.

Great thread!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Joe
Hey Joe,
Your user-name ( Quikturn ) brings back memories, not all good ones. As someone with over twelve years working line service for one of the busiest corporate F.B.O.s in the country, that word would give me nightmares. Even to this day some 15 years after leaving the field I still have those bad dreams
That word has a much different meaning for the "line-guy" then for the pilot.
Cheers,
Ken.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Ken,

I understand we're not the only ones to be waited on so, sorry to be one of those guys. We're under pressure too so we try to call as far out as possible. Fortunately it doesn't happen often but it sure is nice to have a limo/car plane side and a fuel truck standing by so we can get to our final destination or make duty time. But thanks to the help of good line service, we can accomplish in day (be home for dinner) what it would take 2-3 days on an airline.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember the good old days when every town had a hobby shop and you could always find a good selection of kits to look at. Now we live in the I WANT IT NOW world and the only hobby shops left in the area just carry ARF's.

I just can't imagine anyone looking back at this time period and saying remember the good old days, I think it is another thing that is dying off. The good old days are long gone!!!
Anthony