Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Back when model airplanes were cool...

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Back when model airplanes were cool...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:36 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back when model airplanes were cool...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnqqksKIufU[/youtube]

I didn't have Wally's U-controlled Comanche, but I had the haircut.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Back when model airplanes were cool...

Visited Disneyland about the time of the video. Definitely remember the Cox planes flying. The area doesn't look as big as i remember LOL. Got a Cox plane there, but don't remember the model.

Oh yes, had the haircut too.

thanks for the video.

Brian
Old 12-21-2011, 06:14 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 104 Likes on 99 Posts

You are showing your age you old farts. (Sigh) The sweet dumb days of youth when you could comb your hair with a washcloth. I still have an .049 and .020 in the drawer. I started in Rubberband powered FF and graduated up to C/L when I help a friend fly his cox PT-19. I couldn't afford the whole plane so I bought the engine and buit my own. Some flew others were less than successful, remonds me of my R/C planes now!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC
You are showing your age you old farts.
I thought of titling this thread: "Why there are no more scale builders."
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 AM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Had a Thimble Drome (Cox) TD1, aluminum wing and a .049 Im going to say mid 50s, 56 or 7 maybe. That was in mid Ohio, took ten more years to get to Disneyland, 66 for sure and dont remember seeing any Cox model demos or displays, but then two buds of mine and I (all young GIs) were in hot pursuit of three girls. Much more important to a 20 year old.
Doc
Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
abufletcher

The reason I ran across this video is that I just bought a COX PeeWee 020, a TeeDee 010, and some COX parts for a Japanese friend. There's no doubt that there was a whole different mindset towards science and engineering (in particular) back in the 50s and 60s. Today, engineering is about as exciting to most US students as Lawrence Welk (the very name, dates me).

A one and a two...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
abufletcher

And here's Wally, 50 years later...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZum9FLpPC4[/youtube]
Old 12-21-2011, 07:11 AM
geezeraviation

I suffer from vertigo, not bad most days and can medicate on occasion have learned to live with being somewhat unsteady couldnt pass a field sobriety test EVER! If control line was all that was available for flying Id play with trains. Couldnt do the rotation thing.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:18 AM
abufletcher

It's where we're all headed. Have fun in the meantime.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61397.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	881.6 KB
ID:	1703056  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 104 Likes on 99 Posts

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

It's where we're all headed. Have fun in the meantime.

Proposed caption for this photo: Harold was bound and determined to retrieve his new scratch built Brewster Buffalo no matter how long it took the club to find it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
fledermaus

I'm too young for the video but I'm still an old fart these days (50 yrs old and counting). I too started with Cox 0.049 control line planes which I tended to smash into the ground. Got dizzy too quickly with all that spinning around - or at least that's my excuse.

Gotta love those old movies, with the marvellous background music! You can tell that for the people in these films the world was a wonderful place that was just going to keep on getting better and better thanks to human ingenuity. Nowadays we all are too cynical, and flying is about as sexy as riding a bus to most people.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

Had a Thimble Drome (Cox) TD1, aluminum wing and a .049 Im going to say mid 50s, 56 or 7 maybe. That was in mid Ohio, took ten more years to get to Disneyland, 66 for sure and dont remember seeing any Cox model demos or displays, but then two buds of mine and I (all young GIs) were in hot pursuit of three girls. Much more important to a 20 year old.
Doc
Hi Doc, here ya go!! Here are a couple from my collection. Very elegant model, the TD-1. Also shown is the Sportsman .15 powered Comanche.

John

Name:	Ge94890.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1703320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14699.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1703321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21751.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1703322  
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
geezeraviation

A friend of mine had the sportsman, we felt like "blood brothers" because of the aluminum wings. The wing lived longer than the rest of it I must admit. I (it) fell victim to the line extension button on the top of a U Reely handle, sometimes you just dont understand all you know about something.
Doc
Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM
gabriel voisin

Hi,
somewhere I have an old photo of the COX Curtiss Flyer.
It's a long time ago.

greetings Matz

Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM
abufletcher

I had to laugh about the depiction in the video of the "local hobby shop." There was a shop like that when I was growing up (in the 1960s) and it was certainly a far cry from the Toys R Us feeling of today's chains like Hobby People.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
SeaJay

I had several Cox .049 C/L aircraft as a youth, and as I recall, I never was able to get more than one full circle, before doing a very Spectacular "Wing Over" followed by an equally spectacular crash..  I will use the "I was trying to teach myself to fly" excuse!!   once I turned 16 I got into RC, got proper instruction, and have been flying since the mid '80s. sometimes I wonder if I could actually get a full flight on an Old Cox C/L model without crashing, now that I have a much better understanding of the Flight characteristics, etc. (You know, the old Hind Sight is 20/20 thing!) 

Craig.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 PM
rcphotog

Are we feeling a bit nostalgic ?

The Cox PT-19 ( over 500 flights ) was my first control line model and then I got the Cosmic Wind ( a purple one ) which was VERY fast on an .049 and I promptly crashed it on about the tenth flight. I flew the PT-19 though the nieghbors tree a couple times and it just kept flying. I lived on a culde-sac and I flew it in circles up-and-over the parked cars. I was about ten or eleven. Started flying r/c at 14. That was the seventies.

Name:	Ge96016.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1703432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95963.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1703433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80845.jpg
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	1703434  
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 PM
abufletcher

I think I had one of the COX U-control planes, but honestly, have no memory of flying it. I do remember launching one of the Guillow's DrI kits with a little PeeWee 020 into the wind free-flight...a flight that lasted just long enough for it to do one quick loop and a nose dive into the ground.

I'm not sure I'm feeling "nostalgic" per se, since I really didn't start flying or building RC until 2003. Do I miss the atmosphere of the rather chaotic and musty hobby shops, with stuff for the train guys, plastic models, balsa kits and balsa wood, not to mention little bottles of chemicals and bunsen burners and beakers from Edmund's scientific. BTW, more than once, I ended the life of one of my Guillow's WWI models by attaching a balloon filled with the hydrogen I made myself by putting zinc in hydrochloric acid, both of which I could buy at the hobby shop.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM
TFF

I had the cox Sopwith Camel when I was 7-8. I never flew it. My dad flew it 2 times and on the last flight it caught fire and melted the top of the fuel tank so it could not hold fuel anymore. No glue would stick to that plastic so my dad and I could not figure out what to do. I chunked it around the yard until I broke the wings off. I wanted it because I use to launch my dad's FireBaby. I still have the crankcase and cylinder of that engine. I remember the old CL circles at the park and remember seeing my first RC plane there, a P38. When I got remarried, a friend gave me a Testors Spitfire as a wedding gift. A long gone hobbyshop had a COX .020 Pitts Special hanging from the ceiling over the cash register, I thought that was the coolest plane.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

I received a cox control line spitfire for Christmas when I was 6. There are old super 8 movies somewhere of me flying it round and round in the street outside the house on Christmas day 1979. My younger brother running out to the "help" me before being stopped.

The Spitfire was electric and used a lantern battery that was pressed onto contacts on the bottom of the fuselage for some period of time to charge it up. I don't recall it being that long of a charge or that the flights could have been that long. It was easy to fly and it was not crashed. I've never seen another like it since. Wish I knew what happened to it! I don't think it was as fast as the heavier 049 powered models. Anyone else remember these?

Jeff Lovitt
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC
You are showing your age you old farts.
I thought of titling this thread: ''Why there are no more scale builders.''

Builders = mostly old farts
Old farts = die off at a fast pace

Therefore:

Builders = on their way to extinction

Well, we will not be entirely going the way of the dinosaurs, but let's say there will be (to use Wall Street's words) an "adjustment" in the numbers. After all, "most builders are old farts" (not all).

Gerry
I did some U control when I was at around 11 or 12 years old, found something much more exciting, and abandoned U control (females). Re-encountered modelling 10 years later (remote control), and never stopped flaying RC since. For over 40 years nor I guess...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: GerKonig
found something much more exciting, and abandoned U control (females).
Does anyone else see the irony here? U Control.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 AM
semeraro

I have a vague memory of seeing cox models flying at disneyland when I went there as a very young kid. I had started to think that memory was just a dream but I guess it wasnt.

Dave S.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
crash1ace

I still remember my COX P51 U-control that was a plastic body with a .049 engine when I was a kid. I remember that smell of the fuel and how dizzy id get going around in a circle, and of course since I had no one to teach me, the landings were always interesting.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 AM
fledermaus

Like Abu, I didn't start RC until fairly recently (2005). I started building balsa models in around 1970-71 and got the Cox PT-19 when I was about 12 years old (ca 1973). I got it to fly a few times but it smashed up.

I loved those old hobby shops and actually my LHS today is pretty darn close to what they were like. The one thing that I didn't like back then was that the guys who ran the shops in my hometown (not where I live now) and the guys in the hobby who hung out there were NOT interested in talking to a kid. I was dying to learn about RC, there was a local club and all, but I could not get anyone to talk to me in any encouraging or friendly way. I was just a pain in the * to them I guess. So I concluded that RC was not for me and forgot about it until I was in my mid 40s.

We can make a difference for our hobby if we take the time to talk to kids and share our enthusiasm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.