Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Brodak-Coverite-Spirit of Yesteryear Gee Bee D build

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Brodak-Coverite-Spirit of Yesteryear Gee Bee D build

Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
US185Damiani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brodak-Coverite-Spirit of Yesteryear Gee Bee D build

Howdy Flyer.

Ihad tolink them from Photobucket due to the large size of the files. If photobucket is blocked unfortunately you won't be able to see them.
I'll see if Ican resize them for future posts.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to make sure I don't send you something that you already have: the chord is 10 1/16" or 256mm and one wing panel is 28 3/16" or 717mm which would make wingspan total equal 56 3/8". The aileron is 10 3/8" or 263mm. On the plan only one wing panel and one half of stab/elev is drawn. The fuse is represented in side view only. Three different landing gear configurations are shown in side view. Please advise. Cheers!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 AM
US185Damiani

Arup.
Your measurements sound exactly right. The wing plan is exactly what I need. The fuselage drawing supplied is OK as is. As It turns out this was a kit from SOY from when Brodak bought out their stock. So now that Brodak is aware of it they intend to correct it for their runs of kits.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
US185Damiani

A Big Thank you goes out to ARUP for providing me a full scale set of plans.  I can now start working on this great airplane!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 AM
ARUP

You're very welcome! The plans will be on their way today! Cheers!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 AM
US185Damiani

Fantastic!  Thank you sir!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
jkpape

US185Damiani

I built the E model back in the eighties. I got it finished as far as the first coat of paint. I ended up selling it. I was disappointed in the quality/fit of the parts at the time. The die cutting was awful & the plastic parts were not very good either. I would like to build the E again and also the D. Have you gotten far enough into the kit to determine if the quality has been improved?

Joe
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
jkpape

Oh, what the heck, I went ahead & ordered one. :-)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
US185Damiani

Howdy JK

The Quality is hugely improved but... the wheel pants are still ABS.  The kit now includes wing fairings which is a huge improvement.  One problem is the Wing plans.  They are not full size and there are no measurements anywhere for rib spacing.  The kits sold right now are still Spirit of Yesteryear produced kits. Brodak is now aware of the plans issue and will be correcting it once they have runs made. 

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
jkpape

US185Damiani

If push come to shove, I can inlarge the plans at work. I've got a copy of the gee bee r1/2 plans from flying models. It's the same wing span with just a few more ribs. I may try building it also. I've got the plans to Henry's 1/4 R1 also. I wish I would have oreded one of Adrain Pages 1/4 scale R2 kits before he stopped kitting them. I did manage to find/get one of his 1/5 scale R2 kits about a year ago.

Have you guys been flying the dr1 much. Your thread on it almost talked me into ordering a set of plans. I was really close to ordering them.

Joe
Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM
jkpape

Model airplane are what got us into full scale:-)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
US185Damiani

Joe,

Yeah we put about 7 hours on the Triplane last year. The Pup is at the point we're going to start stretching on fabric, and we're starting a new WW1 airplane Stay tuned for this one I think you'll be very interested to see what it is hehehe.  I can't wait personally!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
jkpape

I wish you guys were close to where I live. I would love to be able to help out some. I do have my A&P certificates also. I guess, I'll have to settle with tinkering & flying my TigerMoth. I hope to get to fly it some this summer. I haven't gotten to fly it the past 3 years:-(

Joe
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM
US185Damiani

ARUP

Plan sheet arrived in excellent shape!  Thank you!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
jkpape

Do the plans that come with the kit show all the fuse formers & wing ribs? I keep thinking that I might want to scale it up to 1/5 or 1/4 scale. Flying Models Mag still has the plans from 1978. I need to figure out how to draw wing ribs in solidworks:-)
Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM
jkpape

A little surprise today. I went to check my mailbox, and sitting on my front porch was a box with a Gee Bee kit in it. Talk about fast shipping, I ordered it Thursday night on the web, and today, it's here. The quality does look much better than the original Coverite kit that I built bat in the eighties. I checked the plans, and yes the there's an issue with the wing plan being too small. I'll take them to work Monday & try to enlarge them to the correct size. I'm glad the plans show both a right & left wing panel. They also show the wing panels set up for using 2 servos. One of the changes I had planned on doing. I'll probably go with a tail wheel instead of a skid. I've got an NIB OS FL-70 that I'm thinking of using. The exhaust is on the wrong side though.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:50 PM
jkpape

For those of you who have ordered the kit, and have the undersized wing plan. The wing cord should measure 10 inches, leading edge to trailing edge. In order to get that, the wing plan sheet needs to be enlarged 107%. That should put you right on the money. I enlarged mine today at work.

Joe
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
US185Damiani

Joe,

Great info Thanks for that!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
jkpape

Woops, wing cord should measure 10 inches not 11
Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
ARUP

Glad the plans arrived safely! I love GeeBees!!!!
jkpape- LaGrange- you aren't too far away from me (Taylorsville/ Mt.Washington area). Use your ABS parts as molds to lay up glass parts. Works like a champ and easier to finish. If they get broken or you wanna build another- there ya go- ya got the molds!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
jkpape

Yes, we're not too far away. I was a member of the River City R/C club from 1985 until around 1990. I got heavily involved in full scale around 1988 & got away from r/c for a while. Trying to get back into it some now. I still have a few planes I need to finish that I started back in 1988.:-) I've been been buying a few kits off & on for the past 20 something years. Good thing because theres not to many good ones out there to choose from these days:-(

I went the dark side a few years ago & bought the GP Fokker Dr1 arf. I've just about got it together, but lost interest. It's just not the same as building from a box of wood, or from plans.

I've been thinking about pulling molds from the plastic parts of the Gee Bee. I've got the Flying Models Mag plans for Henry Haffke's R1/2. It can be built as the R1, R2 or R1/2. I want to build the R1/2. Its the same size as the model D. I'm thinking of building it also. It has the same wing, but its fully sheeted.

Joe
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
jkpape

I've been looking at how the aileron servos mount in the wing. I don't care too much for it. They have to be installed while building the wing. So, there will be no way to get them out without tearing something up. There's got to be a better way. I've got to get a couple micro servos in my hands & think this out some.

Joe
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the vacuformed plastic as a mold for fiberglass parts sounds like a good idea, and it sounds like a lot of you are familiar with how to do it. Would someone please explain your method?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM
US185Damiani

Joe,

Best way is to make a cover to mount the servo to. then add some small hardwood rails in the wing to mount the cover on.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM
jkpape

That's what I was thinking, but the wing is not flat bottom. So, the cover would need to be made in such a way to match to curvature of the wing. My other thought would be to mount the servo in the wing & make a removable cover out of 3/32 balsa. May have to alter the rib spacing ever so slightly where the servo will go.

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.