Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhhh I see....
Old 11-17-2015, 03:10 PM
Wizz-Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBoyer
Hi Robert,

Here's a photo of my first 1/3 scale single holer at Toledo 2004. I built two Sheber Pitts S-1S' for TG, Brison 4.8 twin, 23 lbs. Keep it light!! I'll attach a video of my second Pitts in flight at TG 2010 taken in a rough crosswind on asphalt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHBR1f7ypA

Good luck and I still have some plans,

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004 to 2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1S (#2)

You still got a set of plans for sale on this airframe. I looked all over and couldn't find anything with at least a simple build manual.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 PM
acerc

WR, Rick has been AWOL for some time now.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 AM
acerc

Rick notified me last night he is back and all his plans are available. Here is his new contact email, [email protected] . He has the Sheber plans in different versions, the Christen Eagle with glass parts as well.

Welcome back Rick!!

Last edited by acerc; 01-07-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:38 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have slowly been acquiring the speedier components for my own build .
So far I bought a New transmitter, FrSky Horus X10. Obviously not just for a Pitts. A DLE 60cc twin. A cowl, wheel pants, and canopy. I got the glass parts when I did just in case they became unavailable.

No wood yet. Will likely get my ply and spruce from aircraft spruce and specialty. Balsa and bass from national balsa. Still a few months out.

I now have a very nice table saw, so I can rip bigger boards of spruce and bass down for stringers, spars or whatever. That is actually what I have done for my current project that is a stick construction. Bought larger sheets and then ripped them down with my finest blade.

I am hoping by a round mid year to to be able to start. I have my current project to finish, and the 2 more partial builds. One as a wing that I am going to build a fuse and tail for. And then a biplane that already has the wings built and half the fuse.

Ken

Old 01-13-2020, 04:20 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Default Sheber Pitts

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I have slowly been acquiring the speedier components for my own build .
So far I bought a New transmitter, FrSky Horus X10. Obviously not just for a Pitts. A DLE 60cc twin. A cowl, wheel pants, and canopy. I got the glass parts when I did just in case they became unavailable.

No wood yet. Will likely get my ply and spruce from aircraft spruce and specialty. Balsa and bass from national balsa. Still a few months out.

I now have a very nice table saw, so I can rip bigger boards of spruce and bass down for stringers, spars or whatever. That is actually what I have done for my current project that is a stick construction. Bought larger sheets and then ripped them down with my finest blade.

I am hoping by a round mid year to to be able to start. I have my current project to finish, and the 2 more partial builds. One as a wing that I am going to build a fuse and tail for. And then a biplane that already has the wings built and half the fuse.

Ken

I had one a few years back that I bought built, I did an elaborate color scheme and while recovering it I noticed the top wing weighed a ton.I recovered it anyway, bolted on a Brison 104cc engine. The first flight went well until the landing which was as graceful as trying to land a porcelain bathtub, after a few more flights I ended up removing all the gear and selling it, so all I can recommend is keeping it as light as possible because the Pitts I had was way overbuilt, Good luck
Frank
Old 01-13-2020, 09:09 AM
flyingagin

I will heed what you said about the wight. And steal your porcelain bathtub comment. That is a really good line.

Ken
Old 01-13-2020, 09:46 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ken, back at it? Good to see! I'm going to have to plan a trip up your way to see how the build is coming along sometime, after you get going that is.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
flyingagin

Hey you. How you doing?
I found a good club here to fly at. 7000' by 100-200' runway and only $40 dues. But is normally open only on Mondays and Thursdays.

Presently have one active build going that I am making real good time on
Pacific Ace 74"
And then 2 partial builds. One I have the wing and need a fuse and tail. And then another biplane that already has wings and a partial fuse. Those to get my build skills, and flying skills back up to snuff. I figure those two builds to go rather fast. Figure the Pitts will start about mid year.

Ken
Old 01-13-2020, 02:09 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by flyingagin
I will heed what you said about the wight. And steal your porcelain bathtub comment. That is a really good line.

Ken
LOL best of luck to you
Old 02-20-2020, 04:58 PM
rogersilva

hi acerc, do you have plans for the 33% Pitts Andy Sheber?
Old 02-20-2020, 06:04 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ander Sheber plans source

I'll answer for you on this one Robert...
Rick Boyer owns the rights to the Sheber plans ... you can email him at [email protected]

Bill
The following users liked this post:
rogersilva (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 PM
rogersilva

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
I'll answer for you on this one Robert...
Rick Boyer owns the rights to the Sheber plans ... you can email him at [email protected]

Bill
thank you Bill
Old 05-04-2021, 03:17 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

For any of you looking for the Airbourne (Sheber) 1/3 scale Pitts S-2A plans, you can buy them from Wolf Models in Australia. They have the copyright for all the Airbourne Magazine plans.
Bob Phippen, the owner, was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Here is the contact info for Wolfe Models:

Robert Phippen
Wolf Models
Aus Heli RC
Queensland
Australia
Ph 07 54657897
www.wolfmodels.net
www.aus-heli-rc.com.au
Old 05-05-2021, 07:31 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Is it just me, or are all of ACERC’s pictures in this thread missing?

Peter
The following users liked this post:
straitnickel (08-23-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:47 PM
flyingagin

We are in the process of moving (FLEEING from ca) to north west Missouri. Looks Like Trenton. Along with another family from church (large more kids than fingers) buying a few acres that we we can homestead on. With our friends we can handle egg chickens, meat chickens, meat ducks, meat rabbits. turkeys, goats, pigs, sheep and likely a few cows (Dexter's).

The property market is nuts right now.

Unfortunately the property is only about 1/2 mile from an airport so I don't see flying from the back side of the property but maybe a foamy or control line. The town where the airport is is really small so I would not expect much traffic. The closest RC club I have been able to find is about an hour drive.

Any way I have had my shop packed for months now along with most of the house hold goods. That has stopped any sort of building.

So I decided to buy part of the electronics for this plane over several months. Actually my wife encouraged me. She's a keeper.

This is what I have now.
Servos
For throttle I am going with a Futaba S3004 Standard Ball Bearing Servo. Ordered that today.
For control surfaces I bought 4 Hitec HS-645MG High Torque, Metal Gear Premium Sport Servos.

For batteries I just ordered 3 Spectrum 6.6V 2200mAh 2S LiFe Receiver Batteries. One for ignition and 2 for the radio. I will use 2 switches and run the batteries in parallel. Will install a Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor onto each Rx battery.

For my radio use a FrSky Horus X10. It is an extremely flexible Tx.

Awaiting to buy
So for Rx I am going with two FrSky RX8R PRO. One will be used as a redundant Rx.
The Lipo Voltage Sensors will be FrSky SP-FLVS - Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor, one on each Rx battery.
Also considering an airspeed sensor FrSky Air Speed Sensor (SPASS-70).

So the Rx's voltage sensors and airspeed sensor are still waiting to buy.

Anything I buy now has to be short delivery times or wait till after we moved.

For covering the plane I am going with SIG Heat Shrinkable Koverall. I have used it before and like it.
The paint will be Nitrate dope followed with Buterate Dope for base and color coats.

I cut my teeth with silkspan (tissue) and dope then went to silk and dope. I just like a fabric and doped airplane.

The dope and the wood I will wait to buy till after we moved.

A lot of the gluing will be with Titebond 2.
Epoxy will be West Systems 105. I have used that epoxy for a decades. Last year I bought two gallon kits for the camper shell I was building. I have some left over, but not a lot. Will have to get more both to get the she ready for painting and for planes. I finished with the build (not yet painted) late last year. It is mounted to the truck. Seemed like the best way to transport my airplanes. I put a full size shelf in the bottom of the shell for that purpose. That leaves the bottom free for some heavier things.

I will have to get a shop back up as soon as I can, both for all the work I will need to do on the properties and naturally planes. I hope to at least start making some parts for this plane next year. Certainly have spent enough money so far.

Ken

This is the shell I built