Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

2013 US Scale Masters Championships Woodland/Davis California

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

2013 US Scale Masters Championships Woodland/Davis California

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 US Scale Masters Championships Woodland/Davis California

The 34th US Scale Masters Championships is a wrap and I'm finally starting to get caught up after one of the most rewarding and fun weeks of modeling I've ever been involved in. Please chime in with your photos and stories from the event! The Woodland Davis Aeromodelers were asked to step in and host the Championships at the beginning of 2013 after the scheduled site had its agreement torn up with the host city officials. I went to my club and got more thumbs up than I could count and so we went about making preparations. I'm going to try to recognize the people who helped make it happen. The US Scale Masters Association was our partner in this event and together we had a great event that I feel showed the best of what scale modeling competition should be.

Team:
CD: Jeff Lovitt
Assist CD: Jeff Whitney
Administration: MItch Baker
Trophies; Fundraising; West Coast VP: Curtis Kitteringham
Trophies; Region Manager: Randy Warkentin
Static Judges: Jim MacDonald; Roxanne Cottrell; Rich Geertson
Flight Judges: Lane Davidson (Chief); Russell Knetzger; MIke Richardson; Forrest Barton; Ken SHapiro; Jim MacDonald; John Eaton; Kerry Roberson; Paul Haynes; Don Stillwell; Steve Unze, and Matt Raymond.
Scoring: MItch Baker; Lola Sutherland; Roxanne Cottrell; Marla (Last name forgotten- so sorry)
Air Boss: Wayne Cook, Eric MIlls, Cory Rose,
Line Coordinators: Steve Woodward; Monty Welch, Robert Kozlowski,
Field Setup: Danny Winter
Parking Coordinator: Bill Freidrich
Parking Sales: Sheldon Berkowitz
Food Service Manager: MIke O'Kane
Food Service: Eric Mills, Danny Winter, Mike O'kane,
Special Fundraising Recognition: George Ellison
Announcer and Sound Coordination: Wayne Dickey

There are so many names to mention. The field was perfectly setup, and we had a record west coast turnout for the Scale Masters. Rows of RV's, full pit area, overflow pit area etc. We held a Friday night Pizza and Ice Cream social for pilots and families. Saturday night was our banquet which featured a tribute to Earl Thompson, the first US Scale Masters winner in Precision Scale in 1980 who recently passed away. We had some great atmosphere and we gave away some special awards, including the Harris Lee Award to MItch Baker for his work WELL ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY. We also had a great presentation from Major Albert Hibpshman who was representing the USAF and Beale AFB where he is involved in Manned and Unmanned reconassiance programs.

We had 3 perfect days of flying and then some wind that blew in on Sunday that limited many of the lighter craft.

The Woodland Davis Aeromodelers would like to thank the US Scale Masters Assocation for their partnership and help on this event, all contestants who came from all of the world and United States, everyone who came out to spectate and watch, the local press, and the dedicated helpers, spouses, mechanics and callers who help make this happen. I know I"m forgetting some folks and will update as I comb through my notes from the event.

We sincerely hope that the pilots had a great time and are hopeful that we will again have the privilege and honor to host this great event. Until the next time,.... 10's.

Let's see some photos and stories.....

Jeff Lovitt
Contest Director
2013 US Scale Masters Championships.

Last edited by jlovitt; 10-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
jlovitt

Default Results

Here are the final Results:
Congratulations go to:

Expert and Grand Champion Tom Wolf Mosquito
Team: Will Holderness and TIm Albright Nieuport 28
Advanced: Rod Snyder F-100
Pro/Am Pro: Jack G Diaz Mig 15
Pro/Am Sport: Derek MIcko Me-262
Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 PM
peckster1

This was areally great event and the 59 entries is only part of the story. TheWoodland Davis Aeromodelers really rolled out the red carpet for thecontestants. The field itself is a wonderful flying sitethat any club would be proud of, and the club members had manicured everyinch of the site in preparation for the Championships. The contest was assmoothly run as any I have attended and far better than most. The flightline coordinators were very alert and proficient in controlling runway accessthat kept both the pilots and the models safe during take-offs andlandings. The judging was both fair and honest, and I believethe results are an accurate reflection of both the quality of the modelsentered and the demonstrated piloting skills. My compliments to JeffLovitt and Jeff Whitney for having a real handle on the event and effectivelyguiding the contestants through a successful series of rounds instead ofpushing them. The Saturday evening banquet was also well-paced, not toolong and not hurried either, with good food and good company. Congratulations to Mitch Baker, the winner of the 2013 Harris Lee LifetimeAchievement Award.

Also very significant is the number of entries in the categories that donot have a builder of the model rule. At the 2012Championships, only 45% of the entries were in non-builder of the modelclasses. The US Scale Masters modified the classes in 2013, and forthis Championship event, 63% of the models were entered in the Advanced, Pro/AmPro and Pro/Am Sportsman classes. This should speak volumes on how theface of competitive scale modeling is changing and should get the attention ofmanufacturers producing quality ARF scale models.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks jlovitt/peckster1 for updates! Congrats to Mitch Baker well deserved he puts alot work into it - Hope someday more northeast qualifiers can work it out to join in

Jim

Last edited by N11; 10-17-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: no qualifiers in a 300 mile northeast radius
Old 10-15-2013, 05:46 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

I also agree with what was said. It was one of the best run ever. All I can say is what a great event. I had more fun there than any event I have ever been too. Big congrats to Mitch for both the Award and also for running things in the background perfectly. The club did a outstanding job in both having the field ready and helping keep it running smooth for the whole event. Jeff as CD you should be proud you did a great job and I thank you. The turnout was better than we have seen in a long time and I think it shows what is to come. The models and pilots were outstanding and what great weather we had wow.....Thanks also to the entire USSMA staff. and all the contestants.
By the way we had entries from Venezuela,
Australia, Canada, WA, TX, Idaho, CA, AZ, TN. to name a few which gave it a nice variety. Can not wait till the next one.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
J_Whitney

Although Jeff credits me with a lot of work, he did the lion's share. I was there just in case things overwhelmed him which is a distinct possibility with an event of this magnitude.

I can't say enough good things about the Woodland-Davis Aeromodelers - their work and dedication was truly awesome - what has not been said yet is just the week prior they had hosted a huge helicopter event. It was really great of the club to give up two consecutive weekends for events like this.

I also had a great time, in spite of the problems I created for myself, and it was a lot of fun to hang out with people I don't get to see that often. In addition to the international mix, there were foreigners from as far away as Tennessee and Texas and they were a great group.

Cheers once again to Woodland-Davis!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
jlovitt

Thanks for the kudos. Time for some pics!!!
Could not have done it without you guys

jeff
Old 10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
J_Whitney

I think maybe the real story at the Championships was Dylan Baltazar - will wait for some pics of him before going further.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM
jlovitt

Prize Sponsors:
Horizon Hobby
APC Propellers
Balsa USA
Take Control Hobbies
Hobby People
Tru Turn
Warbird Pilots.com

Next up-- Sponsors of the Event "Best of" Awards...
Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
jlovitt

http://www.modelaviation.com/2013uss...rschampionship

Print Coverage and photos to follow in Model Aviation. Online coverage and photos published right now. See link above!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
jlovitt

Story Number 1: On Thursday, while static judging was going on Anthony Ogle, all the way from Australia was getting his 92" P47 dialed in for the contest when it just stopped listening to the transmitter. It was a total loss. We assisted with getting the model retrieved and almost before I could go about my other business as CD, I find that one of our judges who had a practice model for flying after hours wanted to help out Anthony. Since Anthony was flying in the Pro/Am category where there is no builder of the model rule, we reviewed the situation and before very long, Anthony and Ken Shapiro had made arrangements and Anthony set about setting up the aircraft to his liking. He got a practice flight in and off he went to a third place finish in Pro/Am Pro. This sort of sportsmanship and willingness to help another exemplified the spirit of this event in particular and what I think shows off our best as modelers in general.

Anthony - Congrats!

Ken-- Thank you for your generosity.

Jeff Lovitt
Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
jlovitt

Story Number 2: Dylan Baltazar

This year marked the first year for the Pro/Am Sportsman Class. This event allows modelers who are trying to get involved and move up the ranks to have a way to rub shoulders with the more experienced modelers but they have a level field to compete within their own class. This year, we had 10 year old Dylan who was awarded the Young Eagle Award presented by the 1/8 Air Force and he was the third place winner in Pro Am Sport. I think he might have picked up another award as well for his flying. It was great to see his parents out there supporting him in the endeavour and enjoying the event. This young man will be giving pilots a run for their money for some time to come.

Way to go Dylan!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
jlovitt

Story Number 3: Sam Wright Flies!
Sam Wright, the voice of so many events put down his microphone and grabbed his transmitter and joined us in the air in the Pro Am sport Class. Congrats to Sam on his qualification and smooth flying.

We were fortunate to have Wayne Dickey, a local club member, retired USAF and former announcer of the Beale AFB Airshow handling the microphone and he did an outstanding job keeping folks informed.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM
jlovitt

Story Number 4:: International Flavor

We had 3 international entries:

Australia: Anthony Ogle, Pro Am Pro, P-47 Thunderbolt (later flew the contest rounds with the RV3)
Venezuela: Jack Diaz Sr.: Expert; Fouga Magister and Pro Am Pro with the BVM FJ Fury jet.
Canada: Roly Worsfold: Pro Am Pro, Dehaviland CHipmunk from Kamloops British Columbia

There were also a number of long distance travelers representing Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, Arizona, Texas, and Tennessee

Thanks to everyone for making the trip!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
warks62

Yes Dylan did get a Award or should I say Trophy. He finished 3rd place on Pro Am Sport not bad for a 10 year old. He kicked some other guys Behinds. Also he had some great parents there to support him. Nice to see Mom and Dad there cheering him on.

Last edited by warks62; 10-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:59 PM
John Cole
My Feedback: (4)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Jeff(s),
You guys did an outstanding job!! We had a lot of fun, and are really looking forward to next year.
Anthony Ogle showed us all what competitive spirit truly is, Dylan showed us hope for the future, Jeff L., that men really CAN multitask, and Tom W., who simply blew us away with his beautiful Mosquito!!
Onwards!
John
Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John the DH-1A seemed to do a good battle for place too - pretty aeroplane
Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 PM
warks62

After seeing John's DH-1 we need a Best of Award for static engine. It in itself is a model. Very out standing John great model.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM
jlovitt

Here are the full results in jpg form as well as the best of award winners. Note, that the High Static Award is shared between Jack Diaz Sr and John Cole. 99.75 each!!

Two outstanding models.

Jeff
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
J_Whitney

Originally Posted by warks62
Yes Dylan did get a Award or should I say Trophy. He finished 3rd place on Pro Am Sport not bad for a 10 year old. He kicked some other guys Behinds. Also he had some great parents there to support him. Nice to see Mom and Dad there cheering him on.
You know what Dylan did between rounds? Played on a flight sim.
I really think he just sees RC airplanes as a video game with better graphics . . .
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM
J_Whitney

Mitch will post the results on the USSMA website when he gets home (he drove out from Indiana) - Scalemasters
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM
peckster1

I hope Dylan doesn't mind, but this is too good not to share. After receiving his Young Eagle award Saturday evening, the young man fell asleep in his hotel room clutching the award. Each year, the One Eighth Air Force of Phoenix, AZ provides special funding to the US Scale Masters Association for the recognition of youngsters under the age of 18 that compete in Qualifier contests and the Championships. It's our way of encouraging young people to participate in scale competition and giving them something tangible to take home as a remembrance of the event.

Mike
Old 10-16-2013, 06:09 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by peckster1
I hope Dylan doesn't mind, but this is too good not to share. After receiving his Young Eagle award Saturday evening, the young man fell asleep in his hotel room clutching the award. Each year, the One Eighth Air Force of Phoenix, AZ provides special funding to the US Scale Masters Association for the recognition of youngsters under the age of 18 that compete in Qualifier contests and the Championships. It's our way of encouraging young people to participate in scale competition and giving them something tangible to take home as a remembrance of the event.

Mike

HAHA! Man, what a great kid and great family, it was really a pleasure getting to meet them and talk/pit with them all weekend..It was also a pleasure to get to know the Ogles from Austrailia, we did have fun and hope to again soon...Never underestimate the power of the "Roo"

The entire event was an absolute BALL!! It ran so smooth and exactly how it was planned. Great job Jeff and the entire crew including the judges who did great as well..

I need to personally thank my father first and formost, Bob Frey, Tim Cardin, and the entire OEAF for all of the continuous support that gave me the drive to get to the Masters and continue to fly/build scale

Thanks
Cole Thornton
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM
RichardBarndt

As Director of Finance of US Scale Masters Association, I want to thank everyone involved in putting on such a great event. I was reading the postings, and I agree with all of them. It is difficult to express in words the feeling of comradery that permeated the event. Everyone was glad to be there, whether they were pilots, builders, judges, administrative support, family members, spectators, or host club members. Woodland/David Aeromodelers did a great job preparing for the event, and as a direct result of their planning efforts, the event flowed seamlessly. Everyone should be proud of the part they played in making the event a great success.

In addition to coming together during the year and at the annual championship events to satisfy our own individual goals in scale flying, we also collectively provide a forum for those newcomers to scale flying. Thank you Mike for sharing that picture of Dylan. To say that "a picture speaks a thousand words" is an understatement. I remember seeing Dylan at the event. I watched him flying, just hanging around between rounds, at the banquet, at the awards ceremony, etc. That picture brought me back to when I was a young lad, and reminded me of how "magical" things can seem. I believe we accomplished our goal of "keeping the dream alive" in this case.

Thanks to all again, and see you all next year.

Richard Barndt
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 PM
rcphotog

Just a few grab-shots with my point 'n shoot. More later after I get rid of this flu bug. Been sick since monday night.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01325.JPG USSMA Champs 2013 - Sponsors,.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	1933472  

Last edited by rcphotog; 10-27-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: added photo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.