Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Woo hoo...Ziroli Stuka!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Woo hoo...Ziroli Stuka!

Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you going to add the dive flaps?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
are you going to add the dive flaps?
Probably as a static Item. I have heard they do little on the model as far as function. They might look cool extended though.

National Balsa answered some questions I had, and they seem to be the ones to go with. They offer a short kit, and ship the wood still in the sheets they were cut from. I want them this way from a protection and organizational standpoint. Otherwise you get a bunch of broken puzzle pieces.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a couple of more to keep you inspired.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Giant...uka-production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1FDxARE52g
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM
vertical grimmace

I ordered my kit tonight. I went with National balsa. They seem to be willing to communicate, and have a good rep on the forums. I went with the full kit, as running the numbers, it is a much better deal.
I really am excited to build this plane, so it may happen sooner than I was thinking, but we shall see. From looking at the plans, it looks like it will be a fairly straight forward build, and should go quickly. It is nice when you can move along nicely through a build. When you get bogged down solving problems (because of poor engineering) it can get to be a little disheartening.
Also, it looks like there are some great scale details available. Such as the MG 15 gun and a good instrument panel. I think the cockpit is an area that needs special attention on this plane, as it is so much out in the forefront.
Again, I will try to do my best to scale it out, as this one would most likely be a candidate for scale competition.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dynamic Balsa has a nice cockpit kit for the Stuka. http://www.dbalsa.com/cockpits/stuka.htm It's not 100% scale, but it definately looks the part.

I used one in mine, and added a few details along the way. I was very happy with the results.

A few pics of their kit are here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615484

A few more, here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...615484&page=62

Last edited by TomCrump; 10-23-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 AM
tunakuts3d

subscribed ! will be lurking and watching. what books do you have? I have just about everything printed and a few c/d's and could suggest a couple of what I think are the better ones for details. I would suggest first off that you check the overall length of the plans against your 3 views. there may be a discrepancy (plans too short) there. Hope to see this take shape soon, but that's just cause I like STUKA's.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
vertical grimmace

I have the Peter smith Warbird colors books on the way. I am going to do a B model. Any leads on good books would be welcome. Something with good 3 views. The stuff I would need to put my competition packet together. I think I have pretty much settled on a scheme. Kind of funny, I really do not like the yellow that I see on so many Luftwaffe birds. So I will avoid that. Probably the 2 tone fractured camo scheme on top, with the RLM 76 or similar color on bottom.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM
tunakuts3d

Stuka by Alex Vanags-Baginski is one of my must haves. ISBN 0-517-54853-4 easy to find used for around $12.
Aero Detail #11 Junkers ju87D/G Stuka is out of print I think but still can be found. Even tho its on the D/G version a lot of the detail remains the same.you should be able to find a free download with a search.
Junkers Ju87 by EddieJ. Creek ISBN 978 1 90653 728 9 has a lot of photos and drawings and some color profiles.
Kagero publishing has 4 volumes out on the Ju87.vol 1 & 2 cover the earlier versions A & B models while vol 3 & 4 cover the later D/G versions.These have a lot of color profiles and some excellent 3 views.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM
vertical grimmace

Thanks for the info. I am one of those geeky types that is always bringing books to the flying field! I can never have enough of them. I will look for those.

I may end up doing a build thread on this. Right here most likely once I get started. If there is much interest.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Must have had my kit in stock. Got the email verification that it has shipped. Should be about 3 days. That is some pretty good service.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
tunakuts3d

another thing to consider is to get an Airfix 1/24 plastic kit. The detailing is really good and from what I have seen it can be scaled up really close to 1/5.3.
don't put it together just use it to measure with a vernier caliper and multiply by 4.5.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM
vertical grimmace

Yah, plastic models are great references. I have done that in the past.

In my searching, I found an interesting issue with the Ziroli kit. The Ailerons taper at the tips. I guess the full scale had constant chord ailerons. This would seem like a benefit as you would be increasing the area of the aileron, making it more effective. Also increasing the tip chord, is a benefit as well. Already made this change on my plans. I will have to verify this with some good, modern documentation though. It seems tapered aileron appear in a lot of 3 views, of old, but modern accurate documentation proves otherwise.

Another thing to look at is the space between the ailerons/flaps and the wings. It appears on the full scale they were very close. Not the case with the Ziroli design. I will be looking at this and making a change as well.

I had the opportunity to really study the plans last night, and I think this aircraft will be a piece of cake to build. I read a thread in RC Scalebuilder where a guy did one in 4 months! It came out very nice as well. Posted video of the early flights, and it looked great. Not sure I would move that fast, but I did complete my last 1/4 triplane in 4 months, and in some ways, I think it is more complicated. For me it is always about getting all the things I need to complete the model.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
tunakuts3d

the 3 views in the "Eddie Creek" book show them correctly as a constant chord. what I do not understand is why and how the Ziroli model is only 77" in length when if you use 36'1" as the actual length of the full size and scale it out at 2.25"/ft it comes out to 81.187 ".that's why I suggested checking the 3 view against the plans.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM
vertical grimmace

I have heard the Ziroli was not totally scale. Not sure if I want to go to the effort to get it there either though. I need to get some docs with a good 3 view first and check it. If it is too bad to effect scores, I may make some changes, but otherwise I will not. Although 4.187" is quite a bit to be short, and may be noticeable to the judges. Kind of odd that a plane would be shorter than scale. It is usually the other way.

So for those that have built one of these, how does the balance generally end up with a G 62? Nose heavy, or tail heavy?

Also, I was wanting to use the Robart landing gear, including the tail wheel unit. Any reason why I should steer clear of their products for this design?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM
tunakuts3d

the book by Eddie Creek has really nice six view drawings. This book is fairly recent, first published in 2012.It has about 25 color profiles , hundreds of photos , and a lot of drawings from various Luftwaffe manuals. Cant go wrong on this one.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

So for those that have built one of these, how does the balance generally end up with a G 62? Nose heavy, or tail heavy?

Also, I was wanting to use the Robart landing gear, including the tail wheel unit. Any reason why I should steer clear of their products for this design?
I've seen them come both nose, and tail heavy, with a G-62. Mine, with a Sachs 4.2, came out tail heavy, but I have a lot of detail (weight), behind the CG.

The Robart gear is fine. I believe that it's installation is a bit more complicated than the Sierra gear.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vertical, I looked at the Zirolli site and my spats look a lil different. I will post a pic
Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
vertical grimmace

Thanks Ram-Bro. To be honest, I have not looked at those things closely, so I am not exactly sure what the difference would be.

Gonna grab some wood today to fabricate the fuselage jig. (I work in a woodshop, we have plenty of melamine, sheet good, drop).

Unless it is recommended otherwise, I kinda wanna start with the Fuselage.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
tunakuts3d

they might be for the "D" version?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:32 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
Vertical, I looked at the Zirolli site and my spats look a lil different. I will post a pic
At some point, Ziroli changed the design of his spats.

I believe that mine are the earlier version.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01077.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1933164  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:16 AM
vertical grimmace

Tom, what did you use for grill material in the radiator scoop? That looks really good.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM
tunakuts3d

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling louvers 2 001.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	1933250  
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM
vertical grimmace

Ah...A KohlerKlappen....I see! lol
Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Tom, what did you use for grill material in the radiator scoop? That looks really good.
Thanks !

Ace Hardware carries aluminum tubing in small diameters. I cut it to length, and Gooped them in place.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 PM
vertical grimmace

Looks like my kit from National balsa will be here tomorrow. I will share my impressions. As soon as I get my current project done, I will get rolling on this. I need to get the Gear struts and the glass next.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.