Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Woo hoo...Ziroli Stuka!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Woo hoo...Ziroli Stuka!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Woo hoo...Ziroli Stuka!

I received that beautiful tube on my doorstep today. You know, the one containing plans! It is a Ziroli Stuka. One airplane I have always dreamed of building. Add this to one of my upcoming projects. Crazy, I am so tired from work, I have not opened the tube yet! lol I wonder who would be the best kit cutter to get a kit from? Also, on the struts, I have seen that Robart and Sierra make them. I wonder if either has a drawback? One great thing, they do not have to retract!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM
foodstick

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These are GREAT flying planes!
My buddy has one he plan built so I am not sure as the best place to get one cut. I may have to build one of these birds someday. Have you ordered your glass and canopy yet?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM
vertical grimmace

I have not ordered anything but the plans. I guess I need to decide which one I want to model. I will have to decide on a B or a D, G. I should just get the short kit from Ziroi, along with all of the other parts. Dang, the spinner is a little pricy. I wonder if there are any other options there? I will most likely use a G 62. I already have one laying around.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I'm aware, Ziroli is the only option for the spinner. They are good choice for the canopy and glass parts, too.

Robart and Sierra are both good choices for the landing gear. I'm particularily impressed with the Sierra gear.

If you choose it, order well in advance, as delivery times can be slow.

Kit cutter are a matter of personal choice. My kit was from Chuck Gill, but he is long gone. I've had good luck with Precision Cut Kits, http://www.precisioncutkits.com/, and National Balsa, http://www.nationalbalsa.com/ NB uses better wood, in my opinion.

Here is my thread for this model. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615484 Most of it deals with the finishing stages, after framing.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:36 AM
vertical grimmace

Thanks Tom. I have decided to do the B model. I wonder on the spinner with the 2 different sizes? Ziroli has a 4." for like $80. That looks like the right size for the B. I find that to be reasonable.
As to the kit cutter, I wonder how the Ziroli short kit is? I will not use PCK. Had a bad experience with them. National balsa seems to have a good rep. I will probably put an order into Ziroli for the rest of the parts soon. After studying the plans, it should be a pretty straight forward build.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the Ziroli spinner. It has the right shape and lines up well with the cowl. I have never had any issues with the spinner through many flights. You picked a fun model to build! I cut my own parts, but it wasn't too difficult using a band saw. Planking the fuselage was a pain but it always is. I think there may be a fiberglass fuse available now.

Jim
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now subscribed ! Mine came in at 28lbs, and is a delight to fly with a DA 50.

Tom, I just went to your thread, and I see that your last entry was in April of 2011, did you ever get that engine running, and how does it fly ?

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 10-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 PM
vertical grimmace

I have a G62 I want to use. There is a 90 degree manifold available that lays the carb back on the side of the engine. I have one for another project. I will have to hold this set up over the plans to see if the engine will fit inside the cowl without cutting that big hole in the side of the cowl which is so commonly seen. I got it from a company called fighter aces from England.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM
vertical grimmace

I just checked, the manifold does allow the carb to be completely hidden inside the cowl. This is good news!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Now subscribed ! Mine came in at 28lbs, and is a delight to fly with a DA 50.

Tom, I just went to your thread, and I see that your last entry was in April of 2011, did you ever get that engine running, and how does it fly ?

Ed
Sadly, I've lost interest. My Stuka is hanging from the ceiling in my shop. After that report, I never tried to start that engine again.

vertical grimmace: I'm glad that you can keep your carb inside the cowl, using your G-62. How about the muffler ?

Many G-62 powered Stukas have the cowl mutilated by the muffler's cut out. A friend had one that wasn't. I believe that he used a Slimline pitts style muffler.

My Stukas has a Sachs 4.2, using the Slimline pitts. I had to make a small hole in the cowl, for the front muffler bolt. I hid it with a small, no-scale. scoop, barely visable in the attached pic.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 AM
vertical grimmace

I may look at putting a can on it. I will have to see how that fits. I one of those systems with the long header. This would certainly get all of it inside the plane. I have this G62, can system for my 1/5 TA 152 I am working on. It looks like I will just get another manifold and possible can muffler if that works. I am not going to be starting this right away as I have a couple of other projects to finish first. Namely the TA 152. I did order a couple of books though, to help decide on a scheme.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Ed

" Sadly, I've lost interest. My Stuka is hanging from the ceiling in my shop. After that report, I never tried to start that engine again. " - Tom

That is truly very, very sad indeed .

Last edited by Ed; 10-17-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vertical, welcoe to the STuka world. I ot some extra glass parts . I believe thay are the spats and some other stuff....have to check if interested.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Ram-bro View Post
Vertical, welcoe to the STuka world. I ot some extra glass parts . I believe thay are the spats and some other stuff....have to check if interested.
Yah, let me know what you have.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Ram-bro

its just the sats and collar. Thought I had more parts
Old 10-19-2013, 02:07 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Ram-bro View Post
its just the sats and collar. Thought I had more parts
Stats? Do you mean Spats? As in the wheel pants? I am not sure what the collars are either.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Ram-bro

Vertical , excuse my lowsy spellling and typing skills. Yes, Spats and the collar is the upper part of the spat next to the wing
Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM
vertical grimmace

PM me if you are looking to get rid of them. I am sure they will be needed.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
foodstick

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Vertical, I don't want to tease you TOO MUCH... but guess what I bought at an auction today? hahhahha one of those screaming dive sirens ! The first time I heard a Ziroli Stuka dive with one of those on board I was determined to find one !
Old 10-20-2013, 05:19 AM
Ram-bro

foodstick, next thing you will be doing is driving down the street with it hanging out the window.....I did. lol. I disguised mine to look like a bomb.....cant wait to try it
Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM
vertical grimmace

Oh the siren! The thing about the siren is I have never heard one that sounded good to me. There has to be an RPM increase because of the dive for it to sound right to me. I have seen video of a Stuka flying around turning it on and off, and it just did not have the right impression. I think mainly, the pitch is too high. It should be a lower town. I am going to focus on getting the bomb drops to work good, when I get there. Then I may work on coming up with a more scale siren.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Ed

I agree Grimm, I've heard a bunch of them, and they are much too shrill to sound realistic. The electric ones sound much better, but then they do take another battery, and a little more hardware to get going. I have an electric one here, and it sounds good, but I have never installed it. I opted for the weight savings instead. The Ziroli Stuka is a nice flying bird if you keep the weight reasonable. Don't over load it !

Ed
Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 PM
vertical grimmace

It should be a very fun build. I am edging toward National balsa for the kit. I could cut it all out myself, but really do not want to have to. I will have to check with them to see if they offer a short kit. I kinda wanted to get all of that stock separately.
I have so many projects I wanna do, and I need to stay focused on what I already have going and not get distracted by a new one. I am just working on rounding up all of the stuff for this build, although it might be a little bit before I can start it.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Ed

Here is a nice short video of a man who fly's it very well, but the siren is just too squeaky for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJHs0wSoTU

Ed
Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM
vertical grimmace

Thanks for the link. That really shows how great the airplane flies. The siren just sucks IMO. Would rather see a more scale bomb drop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.