Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Honeycomb radiator material !!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Honeycomb radiator material !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Honeycomb radiator material !!

So, I have been flying a Fokker DVII for quite a few years. It has done very well, accumulating many awards, and always getting compliments at fun flies and such. It has placed 1st and 2nd at the 2 Scale masters qualifiers it has entered.
But, the one big shortcoming to me, was that screen I had in the cowling trying desperately to replicate the radiator. I have searched high and low for a material that would replicate this item properly.

Today this item found it's way into my mailbox! I contacted Iflytailies, an on line supplier of scale cockpit accessories. They have began doing custom 3D printing. Out of the blue I shot them an email with some pictures and dimensions of what I was looking for.

The reply I got was how many do you want, and what color! No way! Yes way! Naturally I said black! Dang, I felt like I was getting greedy.

The total to have all 3 pieces shipped was around $20. It feels very sturdy, and can be cut and glued. It has a glossy finish to it, but I will airbrush it to dull out the color.

I just thought that there might be some others as excited about this as me, and felt I would share it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker DVII radiator 002.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	1960545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker DVII radiator 003.JPG
Views:	673
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	1960546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker DVII radiator 004.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	837.5 KB
ID:	1960547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker DVII radiator 005.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	1960548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fokker DVII radiator 006.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	806.0 KB
ID:	1960549  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am more excited about the fact that someone has took to the 3D for us modelers. There are many things we could have custom made for our scale builds with a service as such.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very impressive! I really like the idea of using 3D printing as a way to create difficult to find scale building material. I could have used something similar to make the panels on my Hazet radiators.

I'm less comfortable with the idea of using 3D printing to create entire scale accessories. Imagine, if instead of just getting blocks of this great honeycomb material, you could just order up the entire Fokker DVII nose cowling with everything included right down to the Fokker-style nuts. And believe me, we are headed in that direction. Modeling in CAD and then pressing "print" just isn't for me.

3D printing absolutely has a place in scale modeling. I mean, I use my 2D printer for a thousand and one things when modeling.

By the way, that's a very reasonable price!

Last edited by abufletcher; 01-21-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM
vertical grimmace

Well, I have some MG 151/20 Cannons on the way for another scale project. I am going to install these in my wing, with an operable hatch to expose the interior detail. These will be in 1/5th scale, and this is an item that was not available unless I scratch built them. Which was my original plan.

The great thing is you can get just about any scale. There are size limitations for sure.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM
abufletcher

And somehow I don't have a problem with that. I mean I used the WB machine gun kits and that is no different in principle.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by abufletcher

I'm less comfortable with the idea of using 3D printing to create entire scale accessories. Imagine, if instead of just getting blocks of this great honeycomb material, you could just order up the entire Fokker DVII nose cowling with everything included right down to the Fokker-style nuts. And believe me, we are headed in that direction. Modeling in CAD and then pressing "print" just isn't for me.
Why not, look at what is already being produced in a mold with the jets and such. At least we will have the option, if wanted. But, I am with you I would rather make my own stuff for the most part. But, there are a few things I would like IFT to make and mail.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM
vertical grimmace

What you are going to see are many cockpit items. Also, there maybe a possibility of some very scale looking pilots. Like Best Pilots. Except instead of true artistry sculpting them, the printer lofting them from an image. We are in dire need of good pilots in any scale.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM
acerc

Best Pilots is going to make my 46% bust for my current build, and they have an artist that will paint it. It will be the woman that flies the full scale. SWEEEEEET!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM
vertical grimmace

I am going to work with Lyle on my Stuka pilots, which is my current build. He is a great guy, offers awesome products as well. A true artist. I have one of his Lothar pilots in my triplane and a Gunther Rall for my TA 152.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM
abufletcher

Pilots. Fine. Parts. Fine. It's when you start talking about entire components that's when I start to feel uncomfortable. Would I have felt satisfaction at having hand-crafted the Benz BzIII for my Albatros (with it's 300+ parts) or the Hazet radiators (with their 300+ parts) if the same thing was available as a 3D print (and there's no doubt that it could be)? Would I like knowing that others could just buy exactly the same thing as I made myself? I know these are silly questions and I don't take them too seriously myself.

But, I tell you, once they start selling 3D printers for the home that can print in metal, I'm going to be hooked! (Actually, first on my wish list would be an inexpensive laser or water-jet or "printer" that I could use to make scale WWI fittings.)

Last edited by abufletcher; 01-22-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 PM
vertical grimmace

Being that they "add" material, instead of remove it, a home version would be very user friendly. There will be very little dust, and waste. There are many mediums being used, and metal would totally seem to be not only a possibility, but probably already being used. I know they have drafted a handgun, that has 1,000 rounds through it and is still holding together.

As far as entire components being produced. This is your hobby. You can make it what you want for yourself. What others do, well, they are gonna do it. I am one of maybe 5 in my club that even build. That is out of 110 members. Their hobby is different than ours. At this point I get almost nothing from that club, other than a runway, as I have almost nothing in common with most of the members.
These 3D parts are going to help me enjoy "My" hobby more though, and I find it exciting. I have more coming as well, and I am excited to see where things go.

MG 151/20 1/5th scale

Name:	MG 151.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1960599  
Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 AM
abufletcher

I know exactly what you mean. As I said, I use any scale accessories I can find (and can afford). It's just that usually there's nothing available. The WB gun kits are fantastic, but I suppose if they weren't available I'd just scratch-build my own. For the CI I'm modeling I had to research and make a Danish Madsen machine gun. I punched and rolled my own aluminum barrel, glued it onto a "body" of balsa clad with lithoplate and then decorated with some scale bits and bobs and added a stained wooden gunstock. It was a fun little project all by itself and will definitely look distinctive perched above the top wing. (It is still unpainted.)

That MG 151/20 looks very nice! With a gunmetal finish and some weathering it should look perfect tucked into that accessible panel you mentioned.

Name:	Madsen-unpainted-1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	1960644  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is Alex, owner of IFlyTailies. I was contacted by vertical grimmace about the radiator / honeycomb. I have the item now available: http://www.iflytailies.com/store/custom-items/

In general, I can almost create anything in regards to scale accessories. We do 3D design & 3D printing & 3D scanning. Either customers may submit a reference, or I can do some digging.

Photo references in regards to creating an instrument panel work best, if they are shot head on. Pictures of any other item work also if shot from an angle. If you look around my site, you will stumble upon a lot of 3D printed items I made. Cost is usually a mix of time it takes to create the digital file and time to print the object and expense for material to make the item.

Feel free to contact me with questions & comments.

Last edited by iflytailies; 01-22-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 AM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

This is a VERY interesting website. I expect we will see Alex's site expand as we learn what can be done. The honeycomb is certainly something that has had a lot of modellers stumped over the years.

Martin
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 AM
vertical grimmace

I have made several orders with Iflytailies over the years and the products and service are great. I am sure I will be dreaming up something else that I need. The honeycomb radiator, will be wanted by anyone who builds a DVII. Maybe even Balsa usa should be let in on this product?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 AM
ARUP

Yes- the sailplane guys are always on the cutting edge!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM
vertical grimmace

I just received my MG 151/20 cannons yesterday. They are from a different source. These items save me a bunch of legwork and scratch building, so I am pretty happy. These items have a pretty heavy grain to them though, that will require a certain amount of sanding and filling. It was just the prototype, so I will be interested to see about any changes.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
abufletcher

Good point about the "resolution" of 3D printed objects. That's something that buyers need to be aware of.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM
vertical grimmace

Of course resolution translates into $. But I am sure this is all coming quickly. For sure, we will see pilots created this way. Another very weak area for us modelers.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Nieuport nut
My Feedback: (10)

How much air is going to pass through the honeycomb? I'm a little concerned about getting enough cooling air through.

Martin
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM
vertical grimmace

They all are fully open. Not sure yet. I have good exit air, and my engine is somewhat exposed, so I am not too worried.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
abufletcher

What I've always here is that what's important is that the amount of air leaving is greater than the amount of air coming in. This creates a vacuum that sucks cooling air past the cylinder. Some round cowl models without a dummy will even overheat because the air in the cowl has nowhere to go (if there isn't an opening in the firewall).
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

and I can always make the width of the honeycomb wider if requested
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM
vertical grimmace

I have some photos showing 2 rectangular cutouts in the front as well. That might help, if needed, plus good duct baffling if cooling becomes an issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:23 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is fantastic! One of the hardest things in scale projects is spinners. The commercial ones are never the right shape for a scale project. But they have to be able to be mounted with a prop on an engine and withstand pretty strong forces.

Custom cowls would be great and probably easier to do. Again, the exact shape is often compromised with what has been available in the past. Also, pilots will be terrific.

We have a local outfit that does 3D printing in metal and they have kindly done some parts for our full scale Thomas-Morse S-4B Scout restoration, but they are doing very expensive work as the machine is incredibly expensive and has to earn its living.

I'm very excited about having this service for modelers!

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.