Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Reasonable flying winds?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Reasonable flying winds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbird3
I figured you for an old timer George, by your handle. I never had a galloping ghost radio but heard a lot about them. I cut my teeth on an OS MAX Minitron six channel reed. Two channels per servo. My first plane was a Midwest Sky Pen AKA Esquire. With an OS 15 FP. We hand launched it in a dry rice patty in Japan in 65. We were there on our second tour. First tour was 58-63. Dad did a large tube radio then. All I remember was going out in the field and recovering the wreck. No successful flights.
Well, I certainly don't feel old, bird, but it's kind of nice to know that I qualify for a seniors discount in some stores. Yep, no one likes a wreck, sorry to hear that your dad couldn't get a successful flight out of that tube (valve) radio plane. I think you meant OS Max 15R/C. The FP is Schneurle and didn't come out until the 1980's. I got both of those, the 15R/C was a buy from E-Bay a few years ago. Have two OS Max 10 R/C's, the ones with an exhaust baffle ganged to the carburetor link for reliable idle. Those are really jewels of engines.

I also remember test gliding planes to trim them as there were no trims on the radios. only threaded clevises. We tore a many a plane up just test gliding them! Lots of silk and dope and silkspan and dope. Monocote came out in 65 but it was thick and didn't stretch much. It was tough. I saw it survive a barbed wire fence once! Oh, those were the days. You usually came home with more than a broken prop. Ambroid glue and 24 hour epoxy and elmers. Elmers was fuel proof but not water proof. Fuel was another thing, A 19 would pull a 35 size plane with a bigger prop. It was about 65% nitro! Then they figured it out, if your fuel smells like shoe polish, don't use it! Engines were only lasting one or two seasons depending on how clean you kept it. We didn't know any thing about balancing props back then. All the engines were bushed and no ball bearings till really late 60's and earlie 70's. We have come a long way since then. These nubies would die if they had to make all their hardware and scale stuff. Cloth hinges doped on! You couldn't even hid them! Oh well, I could go on and on and on and................Oh, sorry I got carried a way there. bird.
Yes, I did my share of test gliding, best was a spot with tall grass to cushion the landing. I remember the silkspan and dope route, did a good number of CL planes with it. I still remember the instructions to Monokote, showed photos of someone using a regular clothing iron to install it. I remember bringing a tube of Ambroid, Testors wood glue or Sigment to the field along with some covering. I liked silk, because it was stronger and lighter than Monokote or silkspan. With the modern radios and miniature servos and electric power systems, we have come a long way.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just got back from the field. weatherman was calling for 11-13mph winds we got 10-30. i wish i had thought to be a weatherman when i was a kid.

2 flights on Ultra Sport 60, powered by Turnagy sk3 5065-320, 6s5k25c battery, Dlux 80 ESC, 12x12 prop
2 flights on Scat Cat, powered by turnagy sk2 3548-1100, 5s2.65k,40c battery, hobby king 70-80amp ESC, 10x10 prop.

Joe
Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 PM
bigbird3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do remember the exhaust butterfly George,and the enya's with no mufflers. I had a Pilot trainer with an enya 19. It had to catch on fire at least once before starting! 65% nitro was quite flammable! After the first few times of that, I expected it and knew how to catch it before it burned the plane. You couldn't see the flame so I felt for it and sure enough it was there!
I really didn't start using Monocote until the late 70's. I was a dope person. I wouldn't use it on a bet now! I like my solar tex for my scale work and rustoleum rattle can. It works pretty nice. Check out my gallery. The pawnee is covered and painted with it. the cub is cub yellow solar tex with vinyl stripes and numbers. I'm almost done with the pawnee. The bird house was a difficult task. I had to build it all from scratch.
On the radios, servos and electric stuff, these guys would cringe to think we actually flew with what we did, aye? We've come a long way baby!
Well, it's time for some shut eye. I enjoy the chat. Keep in touch please.
bird.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I remember a buddy of mine trying to fly one of the little electric Funtana's in the wind. The wind got to the point when he was headed into the wind with full power it hovered. You could reach out and grab it out of the air!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't tried it yet, but gyros seem like the way to go in gusty conditions. A guy at our field has a Mig 15 electric df that weighs about 3 ozs and it has gyros on all three axes. It handles wind extremely well. You still get translational motion but not rotational.

I do find that the wind smooths out close to the ground at our field as long as it isn't coming over the tree line on the eastern edge. Usually the wind is not blowing from that direction, but when it is, it is trouble.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I haven't tried it yet, but gyros seem like the way to go in gusty conditions. A guy at our field has a Mig 15 electric df that weighs about 3 ozs and it has gyros on all three axes. It handles wind extremely well. You still get translational motion but not rotational.

I do find that the wind smooths out close to the ground at our field as long as it isn't coming over the tree line on the eastern edge. Usually the wind is not blowing from that direction, but when it is, it is trouble.
Buzzard bait, wind coming over the trees is called a rotor. It is much like the wind past a certain area behind a slope. After a point behind the slope it starts to curl over the top that is why you keep a slope soarer just above or out a bit from the edge of the slope. When it comes over the trees it immediately curls towards the ground and across the field. It will flip your plane on landing and you have to be pretty quick to recover. It happened to me twice and both times I got the plane up right just in time to touch down. The next thing you do is put your plane in the car and GO HOME! DO NOT FLY ONCE MORE! GO HOME! I'm sure you got that message. Live to fly another day!
K! have fun buddy.
bird.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

For me it's all about fun. I've flown small planes in ridiculous winds, where I had to carry the plane out and physically hold the tail while powering up to keep the plane straight, just to say I could. That was like my first or second year flying. Today, I don't necessarily have any rules pertaining to flying, but if it is so windy I have to weight things down on the ground or bench to keep from blowing around, it's time to put my plane away. Bigger planes have heavier gear, so I guess it kind of works for different sized airplanes - smaller planes get blown around easier, bigger planes handle wind a little better.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 AM
paladin

we used to have what we called the "nut award" and to qualify you had to have a flight in every month of the year and to win you had to fly in the most rediculus weather and survive. there were three of us that did this in Cubs. we had people holding wing tips releasing and backing away from the plane. we all strived for that ilusive take off where it would initially make forward progress then at about 2 or 3 feet start to go backwards. playing with AoA and throttle to get it right and not prang it.

we actually had one of the big balsa USA cubs w a YS 120 while tide down and running at idle lift off role inverted and then set its self back down on the top of the wings with minor damage. i will never forget it cause i was standing at one of the wing tips waiting for the pilot to walk around me to release the tail tie down so me and my counterpart on the other tip could carry the plane out for takeoff.

i miss those guys!

Joe
Old 06-01-2014, 06:28 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing is for sure, the more you fly on those ugly days.. The easier and sweeter it is when its a nice 5 mph down the runway !
Old 06-01-2014, 07:20 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

There is no wind in Rawlins Wyoming right now and I am at work, dang!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by foodstick
One thing is for sure, the more you fly on those ugly days.. The easier and sweeter it is when its a nice 5 mph down the runway !
Where I use to live in Texas, there was a constant wind. I was an average of 18 mph year round! I flew in 35 gusting to 50 two days in a row at a contest and won both days. The only problem with high winds all the time is that you will over shoot the runway on a calm day or if you go somewhere where there is no wind. That is especially bay with a big war bird and high grass at the end of the runway!
bird
Old 10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
paladin

well its that time of year here in new york. its going to be windy this weekend, calling for 14 to 25mph on the day i get to fly. i personally blame the politicians and all their hot air (close to election). i will probubly bring the cub. sure wish i could fly a foamy in the wind, i hate spending $$$$ for a plane to take the hard flying and find out it can't hack it, now it rivals the nice planes for good weather.

what has the foamy tide done to your club? I fly at an airport so i have to have someone there to watch for fullsize that dono the procedure for our airport. now that everyone has foamies they only come out in the calm weather and it has really cut my flights for this year. any of you seeing the same thing?

Joe