Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

WWI Planes

Old 12-02-2015, 01:48 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is, I don't want to fly "a routine" with some predetermined set of maneuvers. I want to be doing the equivalent of "free-style" making snap decisions in the air. That's what's hard. For example, I'd like to be able to climb to the top of a loop and then decide right then and there how I'd like to come out of it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:33 AM
foodstick

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Abu whats really fun is standing with 5 or 6 of your friends and talking to each other as you do some of the scale maneuvers while they are flying similar WW1 planes

"I am going to loop over and follow you for awhile.."

"I am going high and stall turning to drop in behind you.."

"Low pass ,you stay out over the grass, I fly over the runway"

It really is fun, I do laugh though , All my friends are still hesitant about doing ANY Spins with their WW1. Even if they do crazy stunts with their other planes.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:35 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

It's only hard until you practice enough for it to become "easy". When you drive a car you don't have any trouble deciding to turn left or right at the intersection.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
Abu whats really fun is standing with 5 or 6 of your friends and talking to each other as you do some of the scale maneuvers while they are flying similar WW1 planes
I have done this several times at warbird meets. We get as many similar planes together as possible and fly a "gaggle". The biggest one I flew in was at the Dayton Dawn Patrol Rendezvous in 2014. I think we had 12 planes in the air at the same time, all trying to shoot down the "observation balloon". What a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5046.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1,015.3 KB
ID:	2133550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	994.9 KB
ID:	2133551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5059.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	823.0 KB
ID:	2133552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5061.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	823.7 KB
ID:	2133553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5062.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	2133554  
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 AM
abufletcher

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post

"I am going to loop over and follow you for awhile.."

"I am going high and stall turning to drop in behind you.."

"Low pass ,you stay out over the grass, I fly over the runway"

It really is fun, I do laugh though , All my friends are still hesitant about doing ANY Spins with their WW1. Even if they do crazy stunts with their other planes.
I envy you guys! I'm typically the only one at my field with an airplane of any sort. And even if I could find other flyers, I'd have to be talking to them in JAPANESE!

As far as turning "left and right" I don't have any problem with that (I'm not quite at the Zoolander level ) but I'll admit that I'm not very comfortable flying, for example, a loop or an Immelman at a 45 degree angle to the flight line.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:24 AM
foodstick

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It is amazing how much fun you can have flying a slow version of follow the leader with WW1 planes. When we only have 3 or 4 planes up we seldom stay in a fixed oval pattern because you can keep track of where everyone else is fairly easy. Once you start to have a gaggle up there you need to be a little more organized.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:27 PM
DyceGamez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Guys , I am new on here and looking for some assistance with picking the best 1/6 world war 1 plane out , I am looking for lots of detail as I am not gonna fly it at all, just for display with my 1/6 ww1 figures. thank you for any type of help .
Old 08-16-2021, 03:18 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default WwI planes

Take a look at Balsa USA. They have several matching your description
Old 08-16-2021, 04:32 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was part of that gaggle in '14, it was the best Dawn Patrol event I have been to and I have been to many. Most of the planes flying there were Balsa USA kits. What scale do you want 1/6th scale, do you plan on building it? More info need.
Here is my WW I plane that were flyin at the "14 Dawn Patrol at Dayton.

Fokker D VII, 1/4 Scale,

Sopwith Pup 1/4 scale

Eindecter

Last edited by jwrich; 08-16-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:50 PM
DyceGamez

Yes 1/6 scale, if I can buy it built that would be good. But if I have to build it not bad either would love to try to build one , just not sure about the painting and decals and all that , but yes I have a ton of 1/6 world war 1 figures and would love to put the pilots of them in there planes also .
Old 08-18-2021, 07:04 AM
mgnostic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DyceGamez View Post
Yes 1/6 scale, if I can buy it built that would be good. But if I have to build it not bad either would love to try to build one , just not sure about the painting and decals and all that , but yes I have a ton of 1/6 world war 1 figures and would love to put the pilots of them in there planes also .
If you are detailing out your pilot figures then you probably have most of the skills for detailing the airplane. Along with BUSA, Proctor Enterprises also makes some nice 1/6 scale kits. If you are looking for already built airplanes, you might check with you local flying club and ask around for wall hangers. Many areas have some sort of annual swap meet where you can pick up a model that can be cleaned up for display purposes.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:20 AM
DyceGamez

Oh ok cool. I'll check them out also , my goal is to use 1/6 did soldiers
Old 01-10-2022, 07:34 PM
avionette

Originally Posted by abufletcher View Post
The N17 is the semi-scale Flair "Legionnaire" kit. Not nearly as nice as the VK kit. I just built is stock so I don't know anything about the incidences. I will say though that is WAS the worst flying model I have ever flown. It was extremely squirrely on take-offs and difficult to fly in the air. I'm sure the VK model will be much better. If I were you, I'd just follow the plans exactly. The "Pup" is also from the Flair kit ('Puppeteer") and was slapped together in 5 weeks!
Hi the Flair biplanes triplanes are not semiscale but are near scale!!