Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Let's see your ww1 roundels hand paynted

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Let's see your ww1 roundels hand paynted

Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
  #1  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's see your ww1 roundels hand paynted

As the title i'd like see ww1 roundels painted just with brush ( please close-up picture)
Old 02-08-2016, 07:54 PM
  #2  
abufletcher
 
abufletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zentsuji, JAPAN
Posts: 15,019
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

It is entirely possible to paint roundels with a brush and without any masking. And you don't have to be Rembrandt either. All it takes is the right step-by-step technique. The "trick" is to always be painting the inside of all the curves with the natural sweep of your wrist.

1. Draw the outside circle.
2. Draw the next smaller circle.
3. Using a thin brush (with heavy paint) sweep around the inside of the larger circle.
4. Fill in the rest of the ring with a wider brush going OVER the inner circle line.
5. After that ring has dried, redraw the line you painted over and the next smaller circle.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 until you have completed the roundel.

It really works very well. By the way, I've found that enamel paints work very well for painting markings (but of course they are not fuel proof).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1p copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	2146128   Click image for larger version

Name:	2p copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2146129   Click image for larger version

Name:	3p copy.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2146130   Click image for larger version

Name:	4p copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2146131   Click image for larger version

Name:	5p copy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2146132   Click image for larger version

Name:	6p copy.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	2146133   Click image for larger version

Name:	roundels on.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	2146134   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing clear coat.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2146136  


Last edited by abufletcher; 02-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 AM
  #3  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by abufletcher View Post
It is entirely possible to paint roundels with a brush and without any masking. And you don't have to be Rembrandt either. All it takes is the right step-by-step technique. The "trick" is to always be painting the inside of all the curves with the natural sweep of your wrist.

1. Draw the outside circle.
2. Draw the next smaller circle.
3. Using a thin brush (with heavy paint) sweep around the inside of the larger circle.
4. Fill in the rest of the ring with a wider brush going OVER the inner circle line.
5. After that ring has dried, redraw the line you painted over and the next smaller circle.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 until you have completed the roundel.

It really works very well. By the way, I've found that enamel paints work very well for painting markings (but of course they are not fuel proof).

thank you ....good work i will do so
Old 02-09-2016, 12:35 PM
  #4  
abufletcher
 
abufletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zentsuji, JAPAN
Posts: 15,019
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Practice the technique on a piece of photo paper first!!!

Oh, for making the circles, I print out a couple of copies of the roundel on photo paper (with a registration mark at the center). Then I cut out one circle for each line. I align them with a tack that is taped to the wing surface.

Last edited by abufletcher; 02-09-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 AM
  #5  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi abufletcher how were painted the airplane during the ww1 ? by brush or spraygun?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 AM
  #6  
TFF
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 4,183
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

He is using a brush.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:31 AM
  #7  
abufletcher
 
abufletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zentsuji, JAPAN
Posts: 15,019
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by avionette View Post
Hi abufletcher how were painted the airplane during the ww1 ? by brush or spraygun?
My understanding is that for the most part, markings were painted by hand during WWI. Even during WWII some markings were still being hand-painted. I know for sure that the crosses on the Albatros aircraft were handed-painted (with the partial help of stencils.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hand-painting-markings.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2148161  
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
  #8  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi abufletcher thank you for reply look this video at minuts 1:53!! paynted with brush all airplane


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOjFsohbbQ
Old 09-01-2016, 10:26 AM
  #9  
Airwarrior
Senior Member
 
Airwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cherry hill NJ, NJ
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Bumping up an old thread, but some roundels on American airplanes appear to have been applied as some kind of decal. Check out this video at about 10:15.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn0YnhTqqw
Old 09-01-2016, 03:04 PM
  #10  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Airwarrior View Post
Bumping up an old thread, but some roundels on American airplanes appear to have been applied as some kind of decal. Check out this video at about 10:15.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIn0YnhTqqw

Hi....yes amarican but in Europe, roundels and airplane was paynted with brush.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:37 AM
  #11  
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 3,353
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hand painted

Here are my handed painted roundels and tail splashes. I have a full size Neuiport 24 built from a reproduction plans from Aerodrome Aeroplanes. It is covered in "silk" and painted in exterior latex, just like our models.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	939.0 KB
ID:	2180329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2180330  
Old 09-09-2016, 03:01 PM
  #12  
abufletcher
 
abufletcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zentsuji, JAPAN
Posts: 15,019
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by DocYates View Post
Here are my handed painted roundels and tail splashes. I have a full size Neuiport 24 built from a reproduction plans from Aerodrome Aeroplanes. It is covered in "silk" and painted in exterior latex, just like our models.
I'd like to hear more about your technique for hand painting the roundels on your full-size.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:09 PM
  #13  
N11
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bloomingdale, NJ
Posts: 146
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

1+ Airwarrior enjoyed the link to video and yes other allies painted markings as did axis

Jim
Old 09-12-2016, 03:53 AM
  #14  
Avaiojet
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Jupiter , FL
Posts: 3,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The news real with a rondel being applied as vinyl stick ons.

Many don't realize how long vinyl material has been available. For a one up model, vinyl is still available from Vendor's like myself.

So are paint masks. For an authentic look, you can use a mask and brush paint, you don't have to spray paint.

Makes it real easy.

Charles
Old 09-12-2016, 04:05 AM
  #15  
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 3,353
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Using scale documentation to determine where they went, we masked the area and then drew them using a something like a large compass. The area was then filled in using a foam brush and high quality exterior latex paint. The tail numerals and stripes were done the same way. I did use vinyl cutouts to place the numerals where I wanted them and then traced around with a pencil. Then careful handpainting using foam brushes was the technique to get them on. I keep the spare cans in the hangar and if I see an area that needs touching up it is a quick and easy repair. It dries pretty quickly and most of these paints are self leveling so you don't see runs or brush strokes.
I tell all my buddies that I now have a true giant scale plane, its 1:1....haha
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM
  #16  
JustFlyIt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

This is my first attempt at hand painting. Drew some circles and brushed painted. I initially used the BalsaUSA sticker but was really unhappy with the way they turned out. The wing that the roundel is on is the bottom wing to my 1/4 scale SPAD XIII. The roundel edges still need a little clean up but all in all I am happy with the result.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2180840  
Old 04-27-2021, 05:12 PM
  #17  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JustFlyIt View Post
This is my first attempt at hand painting. Drew some circles and brushed painted. I initially used the BalsaUSA sticker but was really unhappy with the way they turned out. The wing that the roundel is on is the bottom wing to my 1/4 scale SPAD XIII. The roundel edges still need a little clean up but all in all I am happy with the result.
Look this picture for paint roundels.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:33 AM
  #18  
Avaiojet
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Jupiter , FL
Posts: 3,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

And this is exactly how they would have been done on the actual aircraft. By hand.

You did a great job.

Charles

Welcome to CFC Graphics "Charlie's Flying Circus"
Old 04-28-2021, 03:08 PM
  #19  
avionette
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Verona, ITALY
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Avaiojet View Post
And this is exactly how they would have been done on the actual aircraft. By hand.

You did a great job.

Charles

Welcome to CFC Graphics "Charlie's Flying Circus"
Hi this is my job............coccarda with compass and paynt by hand



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.