Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pinked Tape Size

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pinked Tape Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pinked Tape Size

Hello All, need advice please. What size pinked tape should I use on a 1/5.79 scale warbird leading/trailing edges of elevators, rudder, and ailerons - 1/2" or 3/4" or 1"? I'm thinking 3/4" unless directed otherwise. Thanks. Chic

Last edited by redtail; 03-28-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:07 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The common full scale tapes are either 2", 3" or 4" wide. Two inch is what was (is) normally used over ribs. Typically 3" or even 4" on leading edge and trailing edge of surfaces.

One other comment: Tapes on models are usually far too thick and visible. In most cases the tapes on a really scale model would be visible only with optimum lighting. The full scale tape is roughly .009" thick, so how thick would it be on a 1/6 scale model? Answer -- about .0015.

Notice on the two pictures of a full scale wing above that the tapes are visible on one photo but not on the other. This is the same area of the wing, but from a different angle. You can barely feel the tapes with your fingers. Disregard the rectangular patch around the strut fitting -- it's leather and about .035" thick. The finish on this wing is not especially thick. It is pretty much the minimum number of coats for an airworthy airplane.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RH wing painted B.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	2207500   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH wing painted C.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	2207501  
Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At that scale you would want to go with 1/6 scale tapes. At 1/6 scale the "rib" tapes would be .33" wide and the perimeter tapes would be .66" wide.
I'm the guy who started and ran Pink-It tapes 12 years ago, and just sold Pink-It to Dynamic Balsa last month.
Pink-It tapes are cut from Solartex so they are not as thick as full scale tapes like ortcman states. Plus they also have a much finer "pink"- about 15 pinks per inch and they are cut to the proper width, you do not have to settle for 1/2" or .75".
http://dbalsa.com/
Hope this helps,
Gary
Old 03-29-2017, 04:22 AM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dick and Gary - You guys are why we come to this forum for instruction, advice, and guidance. Thank you both for your thoughts and explanation. Chic