Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

30,Year Old Piper Cub

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

30,Year Old Piper Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:03 PM
murcielago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,Year Old Piper Cub

Finally got aroud to check out my old piper that jas neen sitting around for eons. Everythung looks good except the gummy carburetor amd some missing wing struts. Got th engine ultrasonically cleaned and put everything back together. Tomorroe i hope to install a RX and get everthyng tweaked out. Need to go to the store and get some cub yellow to patch up a few areas and get some balsa sticks to make new wimg struts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5E91E795-E43E-4CF7-8161-98812B49AF42.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2246875  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:43 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good for sitting so long. Did you have it covered over from dust?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Patching 30 year old yellow covering is going to be a real trick. You might be better off just recovering the whole thing.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:30 PM
murcielago

Originally Posted by hsukaria
Looks pretty good for sitting so long. Did you have it covered over from dust?
had it hanging on the wall in y basement when we lived in Ohio. When we moved to florida it sat up im the bonus room u til we decided to remodel. Always takencare off. I bought from anold mamin Ohio that loved tobiild kits bit didnt l8ke to fly them. I heklped himwith the electrnics and getting everythunflight ready. He ended giving his cup. He said it got its maidenflight and hat eas avout it. I went trought it all and fixes anythung that needed attention. Shoud be avle to fly it tomorrow as long as i can figure out the CG. The wing is 77 long and 10 wide. Not sure id its a 40-60 plane or a 60-90 plane. Currently is has a supertigre 61. Lookimg around ot looks like anywhere frome to 4.5 from LE. The underwing has a spar right at 4” from the leading edge.

Amu ideas who made the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BFEDD17F-9DB0-4BA2-A1F6-0470A931BF97.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	2247025   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4A9645B-F90D-4D44-99D2-BBC7EE317C91.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2247026  
Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM
RagwingFan
My Feedback: (31)

sure looks like a Carl Goldberg Cub. They were .45 - .60 size. You will not need all the power of a .60. They fly great with a .70 FS. They are very stout with the lite ply fuse construction and dual 3/8 spars with sheer webbing in the wing. No need for support struts though they help authentic look. They are great on floats as well. Good luck on the flight.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:16 AM
murcielago

Wow, I hate typing in this ipad, lots of typos.

The kote looks good and not discolored. I actually bought some model spray paint from hobby lobby that matches pretty good. I repainted the cowl and made some new struts. Agree, the wing is very stout, but you have to love the original look of the struts. I also think that supertigre 61 is way overpowered for this model. Wish I had a small four stroke for it for a more realistic sound. I’ll see if i can find the Carlsburg manual online to get a starting point on the CG. However, im pretty sure it has to be around 4” from LE. I’ll also research some floats for it. The only plane if flown from water was my trusty old Wingo. I still,have on that has been patched up a thousand times. Wish they still made them. It was my first RC plane and thought many folk to fly with it. Well....they got the basics of taking off and landing.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:35 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, that looks like a Goldberg Anniversary Cub. That kit is still available from Tower Hobbies, and is now sold under the "Great Planes Goldberg Anniversary Cub" name. A product manual can be printed off the Tower site on the page for this model, however the C/G information in the instructions tell you to "refer to the C/G range shown on the plans". You don't have the plans so use the 25-35% of the MAC method to find the C/G range. Accurately remeasure the wing cord (you said yours was 11", but mine 10 3/4" so be sure of your measurement) and multiply that number by .25 (25%) and that is the start of the range and then multiply the cord by .35 (35%) and that is the end of the range that the plane will fly in. I would advise you to start off close to the 25% area, no more than 29%. If your wing cord measures 10 3/4" as mine does then 25% of the MAC is 2.68" and 29% of the MAC is 3.11". However if your wing cord is actually 11" as you stated then 25% is 2.75" and 29% is 3.19". In any case I think 4" back from the leading edge is too far. Yes I know the spar is there but "so what". Measure the wing cord and multiply it out for your wing cord size. Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
murcielago

Thanks so much for the info Larry. It does measure exactly 10.75”. Totally forgot about the 25% of the MAC method. Its been umpteen years since I last used it. Got everything trimmed out so today or tomorrow Im going to fire up the old Supertigre. I took it all apart and ultrasonically cleaned it. The crank bearing was a little gumed up but not as bad as others Ive been able to revive. The sleeve looked like new. I need to find me an empty field somewhere nearby to start flying again.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

murcielago, I'am so glad that my info was of value to you. Seems like lately after I post something to try and help out, it's just crickets afterwards. So thanks for replying. If the 25% of MAC jogged your memory a little, let me jog it again by reminding you that Super Tiger engines like to lean out once in the air and needling them on the rich side before takeoff helps reduce deadsticks. Good luck with the maiden.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:04 PM
murcielago

Originally Posted by 52larry52
murcielago, I'am so glad that my info was of value to you. Seems like lately after I post something to try and help out, it's just crickets afterwards. So thanks for replying. If the 25% of MAC jogged your memory a little, let me jog it again by reminding you that Super Tiger engines like to lean out once in the air and needling them on the rich side before takeoff helps reduce deadsticks. Good luck with the maiden.
Good to know about the lean tendency of the Supertigre. I think I had a Supertigre 40 way back, but if i remember correctly, it was Italian made and not Chinese like this one. I usually run OS or Saito. Not dissing the Chinese stuff since theyve come a long way. I installed a Honda clone gas engine in my golf cart and couldnt be happier. Exact copy at a fraction of the cost. I actually recently started getting back into the hobby. I was surprised when i did a quick search for local clubs and a lot of them, if not all, fly only electric. Maybe im old school, but there is nothing like flying with fuel. You have to love yelling, “DEAD STICK”, and pull of a beautiful landing.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Prohack01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a goldberg cub 20 yrs ago with an fs70, great flyer. Put it away in the attic when went to college, then brought it back out a number of years after. Check the dowel that connects the elevator control surfaces together. I got bored with mine and started pushing it one day, I ended up loosing half my elevator in flight, the glue joint seemed to fail. I got back and on the ground with only minor wing and fuse damage, but decided to hang it and not risk any other failures for now... maybe fly it again with cheaper engine!