Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Walt Musciano 67" Navion plan RCM-878 Information

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Walt Musciano 67" Navion plan RCM-878 Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:34 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Walt Musciano 67" Navion plan RCM-878 Information

Has anyone here built the Walt Musciano 67" wingspan Navion RCM-878? If so did you build it with retracts? I'm looking into having a short kit cut and modifying the design for retracts. I have located the cowl and the canopy. What I would like to know is if there are any modified versions of this plan and any critiques those who have used these plans to build with in the past.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This Navion is a good looking, good flying model. It was designed well before retracts came into common usage. I'd be surprised if there were plans available, showing retract installation.

Hostetler has plans for a larger version. Retract installation is designed into the air frame. Wendell Hostetler Pawnee

Last edited by TomCrump; 05-31-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

The plans are easy to find they are on the AeroFred and Outerzone sites both along with the construction article from RCM. I have two laser cutters both offering estimates on cutting short kits. The amazing part is Fiberglass Specialties has the cowl and canopy available.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I can see where you might adapt a similar sized cowling but it is pretty neat that you can get a canopy. In looking at the plans it looks like the main gear was originally designed to be mounted on to plates. Ordinarily I would look at that as an outdated method but in this case the plates might be slotted to accept a set of gear mounts. Something from eflite might be made to work. The nose gear might take more work as it looks like wheel would protrude into the bulkhead "D" and interfere with the front wing mount. You might be able to mount the nose gear father forward to get clearance..
Old 06-02-2019, 06:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

It will take some finagling but I think I can get the nose gear in there.