Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Citabria Pro and Saito FA 150

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Citabria Pro and Saito FA 150

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 04:01 AM
OY-2861

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Citabria Pro and Saito FA 150

Gentlemen

I building a BUSA Citabria Pro and I'm a little confused on which engine to buy. Going through this forum it seems as there have been lots of discussions on this topic without any conclusions (and I guess all engine selection is down to pilot temper ).

Now, one of the things is miss from the discussion is how the Citabria flies and behaves with the various engines, an I’m not looking for input like over or underpowered but more stuff like (copied from a review on H9’s T-Craft):

“After all the usual pre-flighting and range checking we got the model airborne. With the ZDZ-40 the take off was made with alot of authority. One lap around the field revealed that the model needed no trimming. I let off the power a few times to see how 15-lbs felt on that big wing. There was a nice glide out; the plane did not feel heavy in the slightest, but it was not a kite either. It was right in the middle, or if anything slightly towards the light side. Again, it would probably fly very light with a Saito 1.80 which would shave off 2-lbs. Nothing wrong with 15-lbs on this model, though... and it cut right through the 15mph winds; tracking nicely.

From there we tried some aerobatics. Loops first… the model was very solid in loops, it tracked very well and it was very easy to keep the loops nice and round. While performing the 2002 IMAC Sportsman sequence we started with an inside loop with one roll at the top which looked very good. The ZDZ-40 facilitated loops as large as we pleased, as well…â€

What is your flight experience with engines like:

Saito FA-120
Saito FA-150S
Enya R 1.55
OS FS-120 (very heavy)

Have you any experience with Inverted Pitts style mufflers and if, from which manufacturer?

Happy flying
OY-2861
Old 10-24-2003, 11:00 AM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Citabria Pro and Saito FA 150

Had theCitabria Pro with the older Saito 120 in it . I fly at 2100 feet altitude. The plane with the 120 in it was far from doing any 3D aerobatics but it did everything asked of it at the time. Man came to the field one day and offered me a deal for the plane I couldn't refuse. I think a new Saito 150 would make a great pick for that plane power wise.
Just my 2 cents worth
Old 10-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

150!!! Holy smokes...I am flying my Citabria Pro with an OS 70! I'm going to upgrade to a Saito 91, but it seems pretty frail for much more power than that. The wing mount with all them struts is not the most secure setup IMHO.

I was originally going to put a YS120 in mine, but backed off. It is an easy plane to fly. I hope to be more agressive with the control throws when I get the 91 in it.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:17 PM
OY-2861

I decided to purchase the Saito 150 with a Slimline inverted pitts muffler. The engine might become a "little" overpowered but let's see.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers from the cold North