Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Albatros D.III Build along

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Albatros D.III Build along

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 PM
cirrus4string
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Albatros D.III Build along

Free Bird,
The instructions were pretty good for the spinner. Just take your time, it is easy to get tie holes misaligned.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's instructions? When I got the spinner, it was just the spinner. Looks like I need to contact Barton. Was any hardware included?

FB
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 AM
cirrus4string

The only hardware was a bag of small screws. All of the patterns for screw placement and size and shape for the prop doors"cut outs" were on the plans. I looked at the instruction book and the spinner is not mentioned. I finished mine earlier this year, and I rarely keep the plans when I am done building, but I will look through the model room and see what I can find.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Free Bird

Thanks for the info. What size are the screws?

FB
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FB,
See if either of these work for you.Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57575.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1505710  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Je10916.pdf (167.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
cirrus4string

Those are what came with my spinner...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Free Bird

Thanks Guys! That really helps!

FB
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering how you guys hinged the ailerons?  There is nothing on the plans that show how or where.  I see on the plans the control horn for the servo to hook up to but nothing on the hinges.
thanks...
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 AM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent build thread and do not wish to thread hijack but thought this would be the right place to ask - Precision Fiberglass Products had offered a cowl for the DIII seems like the company is not around anymore-Has any one known of any other manufactures offering one? My searches are coming up nil. Thanks in advance guys for any input.

Jim
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 AM
muss51
My Feedback: (5)

i'm wanting to build an albatros d3 from fun aero, but before i order one i have several ?'s

1. would a gas 15cc mounted inverted work on this craft? would there be a cooling issue?

2.is the craft a stable flyer? is it acrobatic for a intermediate flyer or touchy on controls?

3.any mods sujested in the build process?

4. what assecories would be recomended along with sources? like guns, pilot, wheels, and dash goodies and also a place for scale markings
Old 11-19-2011, 11:23 AM
cirrus4string

I built mine with a Saito 91. I had no cooling issues. It is pretty stable and flies a little fast. You need to use coordinated turns it didn't like to bank due to the effect from that big spinner. I used Williams Brothers guns, A cheap Hangar 9 pilot. I hand painted all of my markings because of limited options and I wanted to move to the next level by making my own. This thread is what I used to help me build mine.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
shemhemfrosh
My Feedback: (4)

Hello all, I have been reading this thread for a while now, and decided to order the Funaero DIII, it should arrive in a week or so. I have never built a kit before, so this will be interesting to say the least. I'll post pics of my progress as it comes along. (i may also have some ?'s at some point ) I hope mine turns out as good as the pics on this thread.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Oberst
Banned

I'm thinking of getting the 65" DIII and was wondering if a O.S. 120FS would fit. I think the smallest engine I have is a .52ts, smallest Fs is my 120. Any thoughts? I wrote a email to Funaero, but they didn't reply.

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
shemhemfrosh

Hey pete, I would think that a 120 would be ok, most of the people on this thread have mentioned that they needed to add quite a bit of nose weight to balance it out. Having said that, what is better than usable nose weight, just be careful with your throttle and i would think that you'll be fine. From everything i have read on this build, you should be able to fit that 120 in it, might have to open the cowl up just a little extra tho.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: shemhemfrosh

Hey pete, I would think that a 120 would be ok, most of the people on this thread have mentioned that they needed to add quite a bit of nose weight to balance it out. Having said that, what is better than usable nose weight, just be careful with your throttle and i would think that you'll be fine. From everything i have read on this build, you should be able to fit that 120 in it, might have to open the cowl up just a little extra tho.

Thank you sir, I might just might buy another used O.S. 91FX with muffler mod and or 91FS. I have a .91FX that I bought new and I love that engine. (I now have it in my modified/rebuilt GP 60 Fokker DR1) In that way I won't have to butcher the plane too much to make it fit. I bookmarked this build thread for future reference, when I'm ready to build.

Pete
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 AM
cirrus4string

I used a Saito91 GK in mine and it flew very well, pretty fast and the engine didn"t stick out.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't think you need anything bigger than a 91 fourstroke in this model.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: cirrus4string

I used a Saito91 GK in mine and it flew very well, pretty fast and the engine didn''t stick out.

ORIGINAL: Telemaster Sales UK

I don't think you need anything bigger than a 91 fourstroke in this model.

I thank all of you for your answer, I'll get a Saito 91GK then. Like I wrote earlier, I have the O.S. 91FX in my discontinued highly modified 60 Fokker Dr1 and I have to operate it half throttle to have it fly scale. At full throttle on take off she leaps from the ground like a bat out of hell! When I do a flat turn with the rudder it wants to bite its own arse. The power is nice to have if I need it at a warbird demo, I never know if someone shows up with a BUSA Pup or Spad and wants to pick a fight with me. At the last event I went to the other guy had a gas engine in his pup and my 61FX in my Hanger 9 Fokker DVII had a hard time keeping on his 6'. Plus it didn't help that the humidity that day was through the roof.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10712256/tm.htm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYgHtDzCGH0[/youtube]

Both of my planes will be featured in the AMA Focal Point section in Model Aviation next month or the month after, I just got a Email from Dave Mathewson telling me if I wanted complementary copies to let them know.

Here's a video of my Dr1 maiden flight. In the begining of the video you can see how quick she lept in the air.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZqoy_uMnc[/youtube]

Hope I didn't hijack the thread, and I thank you for telling me not to over power the plane. The last thing I want is to see parts flying off the plane or witness a structual failure.

Like I wrote, people at Funaero didn't answer my email. Are they up in running after all those set backs? I hope when I'm ready to order someone will be there to take it? I plan on using Solartex on this one like I did with the Dr1. Plan on doing Jacobs Jasta 7 skin. If you don't know it already, I'm a big fan of Jacobs because he was one of the few that told Göring to stick it in WWII, and that he wasn't going to fly for his new precious Luftwaffe.

All have a fantastic building year!

Pete
Old 01-01-2012, 06:24 AM
muss51

after a month waiting for a kit to arrive from fun aero i started the build. so i am fallowing the manual so far to a point,and what i changed so far is the tail group by sanding the inside of the hort. tail to half thickness before putting on the 1/16" balsa and then sanded alot of the sheeting away and then matched the elev to the tinned stab which came out to about 7/32" total thickness. and i also built the vert stab and sanded it down in thickness before i sheeted it with 1/32" balsa and then did the same with the rud.
next i went to start the fuse ply box, but i do not like the way ca clues the ply so i am on the epoxy route for this. but now my hold up is the firewall where i am waiting on a dle 20cc to power this bird. which brings up a ? which the plans do not show any down or right thrust. what have past builder done for the thrust lines?
while i am waiting for my engine to arrive i found a 1/6 scale pilot on ebay (the same one as mentioned earlier).
so i guess i am going to start the dummy engine while i'm waiting !

? did any body modify how the wings attach, like putting them on with wing rods and letting the center section all bolted up for transport( some like a glider setup)???????????????
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
shemhemfrosh

wow it took a month to get your kit, i still have a couple of weeks to wait then. That's good to know, i still need to get some build supplies around anyway. I have a saito 100 that I'm planning on using for this plane. I was going to buy a 91, but I was told a 100 would be better because I live in Denver. (altitude and such.) Does that sound right?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: muss51

after a month waiting for a kit to arrive from fun aero i started the build. so i am fallowing the manual so far to a point,and what i changed so far is the tail group by sanding the inside of the hort. tail to half thickness before putting on the 1/16'' balsa and then sanded alot of the sheeting away and then matched the elev to the tinned stab which came out to about 7/32'' total thickness. and i also built the vert stab and sanded it down in thickness before i sheeted it with 1/32'' balsa and then did the same with the rud.
next i went to start the fuse ply box, but i do not like the way ca clues the ply so i am on the epoxy route for this. but now my hold up is the firewall where i am waiting on a dle 20cc to power this bird. which brings up a ? which the plans do not show any down or right thrust. what have past builder done for the thrust lines?
while i am waiting for my engine to arrive i found a 1/6 scale pilot on ebay (the same one as mentioned earlier).
so i guess i am going to start the dummy engine while i'm waiting !

? did any body modify how the wings attach, like putting them on with wing rods and letting the center section all bolted up for transport( some like a glider setup)???????????????

What is up with Funaero? Is it "Cut one kit at a time" for every individual order, that's why they take so long in getting the kits out? I guess it's still worth the wait for a good quality kit IMHO.

I took Telemaster Sales UK suggestion and a few others and got me the right engine for this Albatros:

I bid on a O.S.FS.91 Surpass II (w/o pump) a few days ago on E-bay and won the bid. It looks like the engine sat for many years and it doesn't look as if it was used much. The exaust valve was stuck open, but with a little cleaning and soaking it in after-run oil and lightly tapping the top of the rocker arm with a plastic handled screw driver, it became unsiezed and in working order. The problem was old glow tar making everything stick. I pulled off the cam cover and gunk, grime and very little rust residue came out, so I filled the whole engine with after-run and let it soak in after cleaning out what I could. I feel and hear no grit when I turn the crankshaft so the bearings are sound. Also there's no play in the crank. Mostly the engine was gunked up with old glow tar from what I see.

The carb looks and feels good, but I did have to replace the high end needle valve spring (no biggie) and right now, I'm in the middle of sanding down with different grit and polishing the muffler. I put in a new "F" glow plug in it, the previous owner had a A3 in it. Why? Don't ask. [&:]

A few hours ago I removed the rods again and polished them up removing more grime, and after soaking over night I blasted the whole engine out with heavy duty silicone spray, wiped the parts clean then re-applied the after-run oil. Mystery Oil works good as well if some were to choose it. IMHO

The engine has massive compression and kick turning it by hand after I adjusted the valves. I think it's going to fire up! Not bad for $140.00! I lucked out this time, but even if it didn't run it still would have been worth that in parts I think. The engine was discontinued a while back, I'm glad Tower Hobbies still sells most discontinued O.S. engine parts.

I also ordered 1/5 scale Hanger 9 Fokker DVII Spandaus and will be "bashing" them and mixing the guns with the WB Spandaus like I did with my GP Fokker Dr1 "Bash." WB said over a year ago they were coming out with the 1/5 scale guns, but either they changed their minds or they were not telling me the truth? Doesn't matter. Looking at the 65" Albatros it looks more to be 1/5 scale rather than 1/6 scale like someone else mentioned. Am I correct on my calculations?

I suspect that the original owner of this motor had died because it looks as if it sat for a long time before the family member took it to the E-bay Quickdrop. Quickdrop said that they had very little information on it other than it ran.

E-bay photos for those who care:

Engine after a little work done on it a few hour after I got it in the mail. It's still in the process of getting cleaned and polished:

I'm sorry I got off topic, just all letting you know I got the engine. The kit will be next after I get a few more supplies.

Pete

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 AM
muss51

well i have been working on the albi now for several weeks. and got it to the point of soldering the cabine mounts on the fuse.but it has been a rough road at acouple of places because of the instructions and no pictures for the steps i had problems with. so i just plowed ahead and figure things can be redone when i get a few steps down the build. like the hort. stab is way heavy so i stopped the fuse build and building a new stab trying to make it lighter and more scale like.
for the stab i used the factory stab that i made as per instructions and used 3 pcs. of 1/8x1/4 balsa and glued them together using the existing stab as a former for the outside radius. and after that cured i used a piece of an carbon arrow shaft to use it as a spar midway back the stab. then i used 1/4x1 balsa to get the rear shape and filled in the center section with 1/x1/2 in a frame work to a width of the fuse plus 1/4" for covering to stick. and now i am ready to add ribs 0f 3/32 and then sand every thing flat before i add 1/32 ply to the top and bottom of the ribs to get thickness and build in the strength and form the rib caps. and when i am done i will post the weight differences.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:47 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: muss51

well i have been working on the albi now for several weeks. and got it to the point of soldering the cabine mounts on the fuse.but it has been a rough road at acouple of places because of the instructions and no pictures for the steps i had problems with. so i just plowed ahead and figure things can be redone when i get a few steps down the build. like the hort. stab is way heavy so i stopped the fuse build and building a new stab trying to make it lighter and more scale like.
for the stab i used the factory stab that i made as per instructions and used 3 pcs. of 1/8x1/4 balsa and glued them together using the existing stab as a former for the outside radius. and after that cured i used a piece of an carbon arrow shaft to use it as a spar midway back the stab. then i used 1/4x1 balsa to get the rear shape and filled in the center section with 1/x1/2 in a frame work to a width of the fuse plus 1/4'' for covering to stick. and now i am ready to add ribs 0f 3/32 and then sand every thing flat before i add 1/32 ply to the top and bottom of the ribs to get thickness and build in the strength and form the rib caps. and when i am done i will post the weight differences.

20cc, isnt that equivelent to a 1.20? I know my SaitoFA150GK is 25cc. Aren't you a little worried about over powering it, or do you think it will be OK? I figure with a engine like that it wouldn't hurt to have a heavy stab that much. Me when I build this bird I'll be thinking of strength and getting it to look more scale. I know by the time I get all the scratch built details in and on it I'll be a little on the heavy side, that's why I aimed for the 91FS to be safe. I know one thing, at least you'll have the power to mock dogfight against the bigger allied planes.

These are legit questions, I ment no ill and hope you don't take it the wrong way. It's hard to express where I'm coming from through the interweb. Do you consider this build intermediate or advanced for the kit builder so far?

Pete
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 AM
N11
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built Funaero`s D3 last season and if adding scale details like I did the plane will come to the 12+lb. range. Lighting the horiz stab sure does not hurt - when balancing you will be adding close to 20 + oz of weight. I moved as much forward as feasible, mine hit 23oz. (I did lighting up the stab) As the building instructions go it does leave alot up in the air on certain areas. The plane does fly on the fast side and if you try to calm it down to a much more desirable scale speed it does want to sink. Builders who came close to the recommended weight @10lbs I found out still have similar flying characteristics. I`m using the saito FA 100 & after jumping around with sizes & pitch a 14-8 wood prop seems to work best for my setup. I did build in some right/down thrust (standard 2 degrees) it seems past experience with this type of similar airfoil works best for me also. Regardless the plane handles reasonably well as WW1 taildraggers do but the plan & instruction manual is geared more for builders who had a few builds under their belt. Will post a few pics but the rcu server is giving me the 505 error now I`ll try again later

Jim
Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 AM
shemhemfrosh

I finally recieved my kit yesterday, and will be starting my build in a couple of days. I can only hope that it looks as good as some of the planes i have seen on this thread. I'll be back with pics as soon as i start building. Can't wait to get this going. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.