Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive and reliable onboard glow system.

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Old 02-02-2004, 10:23 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Inexpensive and reliable onboard glow system.

Here is a system that I have been using for a few years now. I tried some of the manufactured glow systems and found them lacking. I was told by one manufacture when I called with questions that if I had a big enough battery his would make it glow the whole flight. So I said I can do that myself and save about $40-$50.
This system is very reliable. It does not burn up glow plugs. I get about 40 minutes of continues glow with one charge. The engines have a very quick response. I have used this system on my Satio 150 inverted, 2-OS 91's inverted, Magnum 61's. All parts are available at your local Radio Shack. I have included a couple of pic's and a diagram of the set up. I have $12.00 in the whole set up minus the glow plug connector.( which you have to buy with whatever system you buy). The $12 does include battery which a bought system does not.

You Need:
part # 274-1569 Size M Coaxial DC Power Plug....... For charge Jack $2.49 2 pack
274-1563 Size M Panel Mount DC power Jack..... $1.99
275-634 SPST ToggleSwitch $2.99
C size Battery Holder $.99
Rechargeable 2000mah C Battery $7.49 2 pack

This is all you need to make the onboard glow set up. I do use 18 or 20 Gauge wire for this. I solder the heavier wire to the battery holder also. You have to have a solder gun to do this because it has to be done fast not to melt the plastic. ( just like the heavier wire) I have my 3 engine Sovia Marchetti S79 set up with 3 of these. It adds only 4 oz to the plane. The set up fits easily in an engine compartment. The battery holder has holes so it can be screwed to the firewall or engine mount. I have one complete set in each of the nacelles. I just turn them on at the beginning of each flight and leave it on.

Here are pic's of the parts.
A diagram of the set up .
The Nacelle of my S 79 with the charge jack and switch.

Ty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48127.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	96620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59998.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	96621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33135.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	96622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62042.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	96623  
Old 02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inexpensive and reliable onboard glow system.

If it works for you great!!!
But you don't need the battery holder if you solder your leads to the battery. Saves a few grams or wieght that way and you get a more reliable connection to boot. Especially since your using an external charge jack. Just my observation.
[&:]
Old 02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
fockewulf37

I have done that in the past ...I just like the battery holder..It helps if i ever need to replace the battey. plue it makes little difference on a 22lbs airplane.......

Ty
Old 06-25-2004, 05:10 PM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty, I tried your set up minus the charge jack and it did not work. I had to use a D cell batter as Radio Shack was out of the C size single holder. I did not think this would afect it.

After setting the system up with a remote glow I had already had, I could not get the plug to light. Any idea's on what I have done wrong?
Old 06-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Ch0pp3r
My Feedback: (3)

A better way to do this is to use a micro-switch on the throttle pushrod. Use a switch that has the wheel. Catalog #: 275-017
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...uct_id=275-017
First off, it's rated for 5A. A glow plug draws about 3 amps and using a 3A switch is asking for trouble. Mount the switch parrallel to the pushrod and put a wheel collar on the pushrod to activate the switch when you throttle down to high idle and below.
Also, use a real sub-C battery like the car guys use. A Sanyo 2000 or equivalent. Solder the high current lead right to the battery, as the car guys do. If you have trouble then go to your LHS for help. The plastic battery holder is not designed to handle 3 amps and will melt near the spring where it touches the plastic. It also creates to high of resistance when trying to draw 3 amps.
Do this and your system will work fine. A single Sanyo 2000 will give you about 40 minutes of "ON" time. If you are only using it at high idle settings and below it will last all day. Also, it is a good idea to add a reciever type switch and charge jack so you don't accidently bump the throttle arm and have it on while driving home in you car or in you shop. Just make sure the switch can handle 5 Amps or better.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:13 AM
fockewulf37

MCL,
I am not sure what would be wrong. Just make sure all parts work indiviually. full charge on your battery. Feel free to call me. I have this exact system in use on 5 different engines right now without a problem. I am getting my 3 engine plane ready for Delaware and it took 30 minutes to discharge the first battery. The plane has not been flown since the Joe Nall meet.[ middle of May]. I still have not burned up a glow plug either!

Ty
704-796-6839
Old 06-27-2004, 10:32 AM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

MLC, if you meant you tried with a single D-cell "regular" battery, I'm not surprised it didn't work.
I've had to use two of those in series before, trying to get a plug to glow.
It's like the internal resistance is too high to supply the needed current. (on some brands, anyhow)

Try again with the nicad, and it will work perfectly.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Mechanos

I prefer to use C. Brent Dane's Optoglo or Optoglo II to optically isolate the on board glo driver. On some planes (with fixed gear) I use it on the landing gear channel and use the landing gear switch to turn the glo on or off. On other planes, I use it on the throttle channel. Both versions of the Optoglo have a trim pot on the board that allows you to adjust the set point where the glo driver comes on (i.e. glo comes on at or below 1/4 throttle; once you exceed 1/4 throttle, the glo driver turns off). Fairly simple to make and not very expensive either...

[link=http://www.cliftech.com/pdf/Optoglo.pdf]Optoglo[/link]
[link=http://www.cliftech.com/pdf/OptogloII.pdf]Optoglo II[/link]
Old 06-28-2004, 05:40 AM
fockewulf37

Mechanos,
I know that there are many onboard glow systems out there, They are all great and work as advertised. The whole point of this thread was to give people a cheaper and realiable option. This system works well without fail and has for many years for me. I doubt your Optoglo cost $12.

Ty
Old 06-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Mechanos

Your right.... it didn't cost $12. It was closer to $15, but I built it myself using the articles linked above. Etched my own PC boards and soldered the compnents on. I also have have the crimping tool and the ends to make my own servo leads. If you buy the already etched board, buy a servo lead, etc. etc. yes it does add up, but if you do all that stuff yourself, it's cheap. I bought enough stuff to make 10 of them and kept 4 or 5 of them and sold the rest to members in my club for the cost of the materials plus a couple dollars for my time.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:34 PM
edkoz
My Feedback: (2)

Fockewulf37:

Thanks for a great setup. Both my brother and I are using it and couldn't be happier.

You have applied the KISS principle which is my favorite....Keep it simple stupid.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 06-30-2007, 07:43 PM
fockewulf37

Thats great to hear...

Ty
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
affas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the system regulate the voltage so I can use 1S LiFE cells (3,3V)

Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TY, What are you using as a charger for your set up ?? Just wondering............

Don