Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Helioplane

Old 02-12-2004, 10:22 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helioplane

I need an internet web source for a picture or two of the tail area on a USAF Helioplane YL-24 which is a liason S.T.O.L. aircraft.

Have searched Google already and only found numerous pictures of the latest Super Helio-Courier that is used by the Air Force. There are also numerous ones that are head-on or front views of the early design too. Nothing seems to be around the rear area.

Remember, I need an example of the style used in the early 1950's.

Maybe I am using the search wrong, but suggest one site, or better yet give me a couple URL's.

Wm.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:41 AM
balsa4cat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helioplane

Hallo Wn.:
Try www.heliocourier.net for your search. Helio Courier aka Helioplane was used by US Army as U-10A.
Another search to try is air museum at Robbins AFB in GA. They have one on display. NASM does not have one.
Tschus
Old 02-13-2004, 08:36 PM
CoosBayLumber

Not being an expert, but have already found out that the HelioCourier and the Helioplane are two different aircraft.

The Helioplane was flown in 1951 and the HelioCourier was flown in 1954 as I understand. The HelioCourier is a bit larger. It was built in civilian and military versions. The miltiary version carries a UO- designation.

I have been looking for information concerning the earlier version, the Helioplane. There has been quite a bit available on the later, better known version.

Wm.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:36 PM
allmetal plane

Hello WM

You are right,

I flew full sized Helio Couriers, I learned to love them so bad that I have been building scale Helios out of aluminum from scratch. you can see them at www.allmetalplane.com
They are a blast to fly when properly built. If you wish more info, perhaps I could help.

The Helio Plane and the helio Courier are two different animals, in fact, the first "Helio" prototype evolved from a converted Piper Vagabond, later a improved version vas build as a test prototype, which looked pretty much as the actual Helios.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:06 PM
vicarh

Carlos,

I have been looking for a large (1/4 scale or buigger) Helio Courier for a while and have not been able to locate plans or a kit. I just looked at your website and saw your version of the Helio and was wondering if you could tell me the source of your plans. Even though yours was built out of aluminum, I am sure I can make the transition to wood.

As you can see by the picture in my messages, I am also a PC-6 lover. My current Porter is 98" ws and one day plan to build a larger one.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:48 PM
allmetal plane

Hello Vicarh

Thanks for your reply,

Well, unfortunately because of its complexity, this kind of airplane does not atract many, that must be why you do not find plans on the market for it .

I am currently building a 27% scale Helio, I drew my own plans from the full size airplane. Due to the fact I build metal, I do not use conventioinal plans, I go directly to the aircraft structural manuals.

I can give you some ponters if you need me to
Old 01-17-2005, 07:57 AM
vicarh

Carlos,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have never built from factory plans and I do not believe I have the expertize to make my own plans. I guess I will continue looking until someone decides to make plans or a kit available.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
allmetal plane

Hello Vicarh,

Don't give up!! I have good news

I am thinking about drawing plans for the Helio so that people can build helios out of balsa .

Due to people requesting me Helio Plans , I may make them available, but due to my job, It may be a little while yet, The size wiill be around 84 inches, for a .FS 90...What do you think?
Your feedback will be appreciated.

allmetalplane
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 AM
vicarh

Carlos,

That would be perfect. That is about the size plane that my building table can handle. I hope you plan on including a mechanism for the slats, which is what I think distinguishes this plane from others. Please go ahead with the project and remember that when you engage autopilot you can use the time to draw

Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
geeoh480

We have over 50 years of Helio everything here. The only difference from the Helioplane Four to the Helio Courier is that the Four had a stabilator in a different location and the fuselage was tube and fabric behind the rear door. The only complex situation will be the wing and we have all the numbers for airfoil, chord, incidence, and cross-section. If you need something more detailed in your pursuits, please join us here

http://sloflight.ning.com/

Cheers
Stephen
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love that size!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
geeoh480

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

I would love that size!
Wing span: 39 Feet

Fuselage length : 30.6 feet

Wing chord : 6 feet constant to the tips

I'll have more for you, so what scale??

Old 10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
geeoh480

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I need an internet web source for a picture or two of the tail area on a USAF Helioplane YL-24 which is a liason S.T.O.L. aircraft.

Have searched Google already and only found numerous pictures of the latest Super Helio-Courier that is used by the Air Force. There are also numerous ones that are head-on or front views of the early design too. Nothing seems to be around the rear area.

Remember, I need an example of the style used in the early 1950's.

Maybe I am using the search wrong, but suggest one site, or better yet give me a couple URL's.

Wm.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
lownslowflier
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Carlos:
Bruce in SC here ... remember me from Waxhaw days? I am looking to build a large scale model of the Helio Courier. Did you ever make the plans or do you have dimensions. I am open to using balsa or aluminum.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 AM
allmetal plane

ORIGINAL: lownslowflier

Hey Carlos:
Bruce in SC here ... remember me from Waxhaw days? I am looking to build a large scale model of the Helio Courier. Did you ever make the plans or do you have dimensions. I am open to using balsa or aluminum.

Thanks.
Hello Bruce!!

Yes, I do have info such as dimensions!! Due to work constrains I did no finish the plans yet, I will!! The idea is to finish plans and build a 1/5th scale all balsa Helio H 391 (round rear window) Prototype, without the complex stuff.
The Helio is one airplane that is not been modeled, I believe because its complexity, people shay away from it..

Long time ago,I successfully flew a 82 inches Helio with working slats, Flew very well, now that plane is in storage.

I started a 27%, 127 inches Helio but the furthest I have gone is the tailcone. I have the patterns for the rest of the airplane.The plan is to duplicate its unique features such as LE slats , wiing interceptors and full flying tail.

How big would you like to build the Helio? May be you are encouraging me to get mine done!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM
ARUP

The Maule Rocket is a similar concept airplane! There are photos of BD Maule(?) taking off from the hangar! It practically jumps into the air! The Helioplane is pretty neat! Hope ya build it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 AM
allmetal plane

ORIGINAL: ARUP

The Maule Rocket is a similar concept airplane! There are photos of BD Maule(?) taking off from the hangar! It practically jumps into the air! The Helioplane is pretty neat! Hope ya build it.
Yes! the Maule Rocket is a neat machine, but looks like another cub, it lacks the unique features Helios have.. Helio' clean lines and big tail fin, without those ungaiinly struts make it look sleek.. Just my opinion!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM
lownslowflier

I would love to build either scale, 1/5 or 27%, but probably the 27% would be more fun since the extra size would allow for the extra servos to have leading edge slats, barn door flaps, and differential ailerons. Do you have some of the key dimensions? I have some Berkeley helio plans for a 1/12 scale that I might be able to have scaled up. I really need the rib profile and fuselage formers. With that I think I can scratch build the airframe. Many thanks! Of course plans or diagrams would be even better.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 AM
lownslowflier

1/4 scale would be ideal, I think. Big enough to fly and handle like the real thing ... Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM
dennis2000

Hello,
I have been looking for a few days and have not been able to find any plans for the Helio Courier except for a 30" wingspan rubber band wind up model.  Has anyone found any planes larger than this?

Thanks!   [8D]