Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Wylam drawings?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Wylam drawings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:20 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wylam drawings?

Where can I order the drawings by William Wylam. I've searched on Google and looked at the NASM (they don't seem to have any of his drawings) but with no luck. I notice that in Air Age's Scale Aircraft Drawings the publishers say that the full-size plans are available from them but there's not reference to Wylam on their web site. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Default RE: Wylam drawings?

My "yellow with age" Model Airplane News Plans Directory lists all of the Wylam and many plans. I have no website, but you should be able to Google Model Airplane News.

A note: use Wylam with a grain of salt. There are errors in most of them that I have used, but they are the best available.

Les
Old 03-08-2004, 05:44 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What specific plane/plan are you looking for? And there is a book available from Model Airplane News that has most of the Wylam drawings in it. I believe its in 2 volumes.. atleast.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with WYLAM 3-views, I have several in my collection and I found most of them have errors. The Wylam B-29 3-view has a rudder shape that I have never seen on a full size B-29 or in a photograph. Consider getting a 3-view from a different source such as Koku-Fan that is available from www.bobsairdoc.com.

Not all 3-views are correct or accurate. Heck I have one 3-view that really takes the grand prize, I got it a an airshow and one side it has a photograph of a P-51D mustang and other side has a 3-view with text that said "P-51D Mustang" yet the 3-view is clearly a "P-51H" model mustang, there are slight but major differences between the two planes. So be careful!

Good luck,
Fred
Old 03-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help you on William Wylam's work, but I did purchase the Paul Matt's CD collection of 3 views and pictures, and it is an awsome information for any aviation buff to have in his/her arsenal, lots of good 3 views to build a good scale model from. I highly recommend this set, here's the link:
http://www.windcanyonbooks.com/
Old 03-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Fred, rumour was that Wylam purposely changed the tail of the B-29 drawing because he kept getting into trouble for producing "accurate" drawings of, at the time, secret aircraft. Sure doesn't explain some of his other drawings though which appear to have been based on poor photographs and second hand information. (the ME-109 and P-51B for example)
Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 AM
abufletcher

I have the Scale Aircraft Drawings book but compared with the glory of the full-sized plans these teeny reproductions are about as satisfying as going to a fine French restaurant and eating the menu! I have the Joseph Nieto plans for the Fokker EIII, DrI, DVII, and Nieuport 11 and just finished ordering a half dozen more of WWI A/C. These plans are WAY beyond a simple three-view, they describe in great detail nearly every aspect of the planes. It's really too bad that Wylam's drawings are not available from the NASM (National Aeronautics and Space Museum). Most of the plan sets I ordered from NASM only cost $3.50 + $10 in shipping. Model Airplane News was asking $29 for the one set I Wylam plans I did locate.

I'm using the Joseph Nieto EIII plans as the basis for my modificaitons of the BUSA Eindecker kit. Taken to Kinko's and blown up 242% the plans are almost a perfect match for the kit's size (60" wingspan and roughly 36" fuselage). A side by side comparison of the plans and the kit show just have non-scale the BUSA kit is.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:51 PM
BobH

abufletcher, where do you find the Nieto plans? I would be interested in knowing. Thanks BobH.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:37 PM
abufletcher

BobH, these drawings are a little hard to chase down -- I don't know how I originally became aware of them. But the site you want is:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/arch...w/prepsets.cfm

Here you can download an order form with the full list of drawings. If I could figure out how to upload a file to RC Universe I could psot the .pdf file directly. Also I called the people at Model Airplane News today to inquire about getting full size drawings of the ones in the book but the representative I spoke with had little information about them. She was eventually able to find the names of the planes (Albatros, Pfalz, Hansa-Brandenburg, etc) in the computer but had no information about whether these were in fact the Wylam plans or not. The price seemed to be around $20 per drawing. I left my email and they are going to look into it and get back to me.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
BobH

abufletcher, I saw one of the MAN books in a Hobby Shop recently. It has lots of wylam WWI drawings in it. I think its around $20 or so. Its a paper backed book chock full of drawings. They are not large thought, probaly 8.5X11 or there abouts. I would imagine the book is still available. I saw it just a few weeks ago. Thanks for the NASM link.. I looked at it. Very interesting..
Old 03-10-2004, 02:37 AM
abufletcher

Bob, I have the MAN book -- this is what got me going on this to start with! The intro to the book states, I quote: "All the drawings in this book have been reduced for presentation and are available from us in their full-size to the appropriate scale." You'd think then that the people staffing the phones at the MAN office would have a clue what a Wylam plan is then. But they don't.

All the book does is whet my appetit for the REAL plans. Doesn't anyone know of an alternate source for the Wylam plans or did he sign the rights to them over to MAN?
Old 03-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the 50's and 60's, MAN published Wylam and Neito drawings. Best bet is to get on E_B_A_Y and start collecting those issues. Then you can scan them and enlarge as you like. Remember that paper changes with temp and humidity. Also these drawings have been questioned regarding accuracy. I have the Neito plans for the Standard J-1 and found that the fuselage at the cockpit location is too deep. I compared them with a Cleveland plan which I considered to be more accurate. Other than that, they're great works of drafting art.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 AM
BobH

abufletcher, Dang I'm sorry lol. Didn't know you already had the book!! I'm at a loss as to where you might find the original drawings.. Sorry.[]
Old 03-13-2004, 01:48 AM
abufletcher

After some digging I got an email from Jason Bongo at Air Age who guided me to the following site:

http://rcstore.com/rs/general/listpr...d=42&catego=PL

Note: Can be be found several BUT NOT ALL of the Wylam plans in the book. I also spoke to another Air Age representative who said that less popular drawing had been dropped from the catalogues. Really makes me wonder were the original Wylam drawings are? In particular, I'd like to get my hand on the Bristol Fighter F2B drawings.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 AM
abufletcher

About two weeks ago I sent an email to the people at the NASM asking about the disposition on the Wylam drawings and yesterday got a package of photocopies in the mail in response. Unfortunately, they don't even seem to have all the drawings in the Scale Aircraft Drawings book and were instead relying on old copies of Best of Wylam and Model Airplane News.

Sadly it looks like several of Wylam's drawings are gone for good in their full size. As I mentioned in my prior post, MAN stocks only a very limited set.

--Don