Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

BUSA Fokker DVII

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

BUSA Fokker DVII

Old 01-26-2005, 02:16 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: BUSA Fokker DVII

Can you tell me the CG point of your DVII? The other thread about this has gone dry. Thanks. Jeff
Old 01-26-2005, 12:09 PM
deljon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get the plans with the plane, but would think the the balance would be about on the main spar of the top wing.

Del Johnson
Old 01-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Old Timer
My Feedback: (1)

If you are going to use the G-38 for power how are you going to get around the rear exhaust? if you mount the engine upright the exhaust will be pointing up. It look's like this engine need's to be mounted right side up for the D V11? I am considering this project my self!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:54 PM
mikeh
My Feedback: (2)

I have just built this plane using A G-38 and it just fits mounted vertical. It will require you to us a carb inlet extension and drill a hole thru the right side of fuselage to prime the engine.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:18 PM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Hi Guys (you too Del)
Just checking in on the D-VIII. I've been flying mine for a bit and love the way it flies. I have a Saito 150 on it and the only negative I have about the kit is the totaly ridgid landing gear. I have designed a new sprung gear but haven't flown it with the new gear yet. Just be sure and watch the wing incidence and you will probably need downthrust in the engine. Do NOT full stall land this plane, wheel land it so the rudder remains effective.....Love it. I'll post a picture or two later.
Frank
Old 01-30-2005, 05:26 PM
mikeh

Do you have a picture of the spring loaded landing gear. I have been wondering about the rigid gear.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 PM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

OK I will as soon as I figure out how to post them up to here. I'v got them ready and can't find any help on the site to tell me how to do it. Can you help me?
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Old Timer

What did you do about the muffler being upside down. What muffler did you use I am glad to here that the engine fit's with no problems. This plane has a very short nose moment I would think that the weight of the G-38 would have very little effect on the CG.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:51 PM
mikeh

The muffler exhausts through the top of the engine compartment. I used the stock "pancake" muffler that comes with the G-38 engine. The only complaint I have heard about the DVII is that it needs some down thrust to the engine. I used one washer under the top two motor mounts. If you put in right thrust you will have trouble lining up the prop shaft in the cowl.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:13 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a US 41 in the nose of mine. But then I scratch buit it a bit on the heavy side. The exhaust is straight up on mine also. I put a 90 degree elbow at the exhaust and silicone tube to the rear. So far, no problems.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:41 PM
mikeh

I am just about ready for first test flight. I am have trouble getting the C.G. right. I am using a Zonoa G-38. I have 3lb of lead on the shelf under the engine on the front of the fire wall. I am trying to get the bottom of the top wing level. I still am at 4 degrees positive on the bottom of the top wing with balance pont 5" behind front of the wing. The problem is that I am adding weight close to the C.G. Does anyone have a suggestion for a location of weight farther forward?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:59 PM
FastPass
My Feedback: (6)

I'm working on a DVII also. The BUSA plans call for a CG that is 5" from the leading edge of the top wing with a 1/2 to 1 1/2 degree positive incidence (top wing) in relation to the bottom wing. I'm not that far along to check the CG on mine as I have not mounted the engine yet. I set up the firewall for the US 41 I'll be using. I'm hoping that I'll not need any extra weight with the spring starter and magneto flywheel etc. However, I would think that some lead weight could be glued to the rear of the radiator and the cowl itself or bolted to the engine if need be.

I'm wondering what size servos others are using? I was going with a HiTec 645 MG on the rudder and standard BB servos on the ailerons. Using two servos on the elevators, I thought that 50-60 oz-in would be okay.

Hoping to be flying in 2 months when the weather cools here in Florida.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
mikeh

I wound up bolting 2lbs of lead to the bottom of the firewall to get the CG correct. The plane flyes great. I am using a Zenoah G38 with flywheel and a 20/8 semitar wood prop. Total weight is 24lbs. If you have not fastened the stab yet I would add 2 degrees of positive incedence to the stab. Without it you will have to add quite a bit of down trim.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 AM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

Congratulations! Mikeh, Great info. Did you paint yours? This is a tad heavier than some I've read about. Did you try any methods to keep the weight aft of the C/G down? Lastly, how did the fixed gear do? I am working on the upper wing right now. The fuselage will be the last part of my structures to build. Glad I waited.

Roger
Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikeh

I wound up bolting 2lbs of lead to the bottom of the firewall to get the CG correct.
You can mix lead shot with epoxy and spread it on the inside of the front of the cowl, as far forward as possible. Then you wouldn't have to add as much weight as when you put it on the firewall.

I built a couple degrees of pos incidence in the stab of my DR-1 and it made a big difference. The plane doesn't need tons of down trim to fly level. On my Nieuport 28, I didn't build the pos incidence in the stab, and it always has to fly with a lot of down trim.

Jim
Old 08-23-2005, 11:06 AM
mikeh

I used the Glen Torrence fabric for both wings. Looks great but I am sure it added weight. I covered the fus and tail with soletex fabric from Balsausa. The fixed gear is working great I have not had a problem with it. I lost a wheel on the second flight and was able to land with one wheel with no damage to the gear (dam wheel colors). I have revised the landing gear to use cottor pins instead of wheel colors.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
FastPass
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks MikeH. I did notice that a few others complained about the stab incidence being off and more positive being needed. As such, I heeded the advice by making the horizontal stab and vertical fin/rudder removable. If I need to, I'll be able to shim the stab accordingly.

Did you have to use a longer prop hub to clear the radiator? In order to keep the flywheel on the US41 from hitting the bottom ABS plastic cowl cover, I had to set the engine back. The factory 1.25" hub is too short, I'll have to go with a 2" one.

I was disappointed that BUSA didn't include a reasonable looking tail skid although it wouldn't be hard to make. I guess they used a wire one in order to keep the tail weight down.

Frank
Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
fwman1

FastPass,
I agree about the gear. It's pretty lame as designed for the kit. Chevelle came up with a nice looking setup in his BUSA Pup thread. I have a US41 for mine. I'm glad you mentioned the engine clearance. I'll have to do some more checking before I finish setting up my fuselage. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 AM
mikeh

I am using a Zenoah G-38 not a US41 so it has a long shaft.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:42 AM
p51f4f
My Feedback: (81)

A G38 will work, I used a US-41 converted to EI by C&H and have enough clearance. Well worth the money

Les
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Udet

And LO! herself.

From the forward by the translator of Udet's book "Mein Fliegerleben", published in 1935 as "Ace of the Iron Cross" and authorized by Udet. The jacket art is red & white, and Udet was alive at the time and could have protested

Udets first Fokker D.VII had diagonal red and white stripes on the top wing, his girl friend "Lo's" (short for Eleonore) name on the sides of the fuselage, and the tail bore the taunting inscription "Du doch nicht!" - "Definitely not you!" - as a dare to any Allied flier skillful enough to get behind him to place him in a vulnerable position.
Hardly conclusive, but evidence for the red & white pattern.

If you care to look for a first hand description, here's the book on the web.

http://www.jastaboelcke.de/index_02.htm
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 AM
p51f4f

True in reference to the statement on colors, But during his stay with jast 4 when the colors where black. SOme publications show his top wing in a black and white striped verson. Hard to say either way. On mine, I have decided to go with a Lt. Raben of Jasta 18 the Red and white.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62087.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	314505  
Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
fwman1

AMAZING! I just selected my scheme yesterday. Exact same scheme. I don't suppose it's a big deal. I rarely get to NM! LOL! Are you going with the lozenge on the bottoms, or red? I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay for the GTM fabric. About $85 bucks for the bottoms of two wings.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 PM
p51f4f

I went with the lozenge scheme, but went with the Arziona models fabric which was not alot easier. Cost a little more but well worth it and alot less work.
But the GTM fabric is more darker in color as I have used it before. Just thought I would try the other stuff.

Les
Old 08-31-2005, 01:12 PM
GHL

Hi Everyone, I have thoroughly enjoyed this post and I wanted to ask if any of you had thoughts whatsoever on the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Fokker D VII being released in the early part of 2006...maybe sooner? I was able to get a very close up look at it during the War Birds Over Delaware event in July, and I was impressed with it. I especially liked the fact a large D VII, like a small D VII, did not need any flying wires. I have a couple of Proctor D VII kits in framed up condition, but I did not want to go that route with a larger D VII. I want to have a finished plane that looks "scale", but does not have to be built as a true scale machine. All of you seem knowledgeable with Balsa USA and I would like your input. Thank you. George

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.